The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2020, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

If you are getting a guitar custom built and you have to choose between hide glue or better wood, (or better tuners?), then you are in the wrong place and going down a road you shouldn’t be on. If the builder knows how to use hide glue, they’ll use it, and not charge any extra. It doesn’t cost anything more, or take any more time (some would say its easier), and the fast way it sets up and grabs, plus being reversible, it should make a skilled luthier more productive, and makes repairs down the road much easier. 100s of years of daily use of hide glue in the making of instruments proves that conclusively.

If they charge extra, its clearly not something they either want to use, or know how to use properly, so I wouldn’t ask them to. Let them build the way they feel is best - thats what you’re paying them for. But if they try to tell you it makes a much better instrument, but you have to pay a lot extra for them to use it, then I would question why you’d want to have them build anything - I prefer to support those who build every guitar as though it’s gonna be their best -
Old 02-01-2020, 01:56 PM

The OP, 3 years ago, said, "custom shop build". I wonder if that implies a Martin Custom Shop build? If I go with that assumption, how many of the builders in the Martin factory are trained to use hide glue? If it is a custom shop build, do all custom shop builders work with hide glue, or are there a certain few? My point is, in this Martin example, is it possible that a more experienced luthier is going to build your guitar because of the hide glue option? If so, could this lead to the belief, or truth, that hide glue Martins sound better?
Old 02-01-2020, 10:02 PM

Talking Farmer's Glue and Hide it...

So enjoyed the whole 8 pages of this thread and had to quote some of the out takes that had me in stitches. This was better than dinner and a movie, and that video about the plant engineer, priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Unicorn glue infused with magic pixie dust is my favorite guitar adhesive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Ask the cow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post

(though you are going to have the Americans wondering how a guitar sounded like a pair of trousers)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
Personally, I see no need to be so concerned about construction detail, that you are worried over whether the glue used is Hidden, or visible. If the glue is not visible, it means possibly one of two things. The Builder either didn't use enough glue, or the builder is very fussy about every detail, and makes sure to clean up any excess glue.
So that is my take on whether the builder has taken the time to HIDE the glue or not, and whether it was worth the effort or not. Or even if they should charge extra for that effort.

If two guitars made by the same manufacturer can vary a lot from each other in tone, how can it not make a difference if you also add additional variables ?

JMHO

Ed

Last edited by skypeace; 02-01-2020 at 10:09 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion