The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Help M- Audio Solo

Hi All.
Need to do a simple demo clip.

I have an M Audio and mac using Garage Band.

I no idea what I am doing.

I can record using the tiny mic in the iMac ( not great ) but when I plug my Sure SM 58 mic into the M Audio......it just does not record.....no sound from the mic.

Any ideas beside trashing the whole system.

daniel
Old 11-08-2011, 06:11 AM

If you have a local guitar center they can answer your questions in person.

Guitar Centers have dedicated seminars of garage band and m-audio most Saturday mornings. You can ask all your questions at these seminars and get a "hands on" solution to your issues. Nothing real deep, but they definitely know garage band and M-Audio products.

If you bought your M-Audio from a reputable dealer (ie. Sweetwater), they are generally patient about answering questions.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstring View Post
Any ideas beside trashing the whole system.

daniel
Where getting your feet wet in computer based recording solutions can be frustrating getting ticked is never the answer

GarageBand has to be told you want to switch to the M-Audio interface. It wouldn't automatically assume that M-Audio is the device you'd like to use. The fact that GarageBand still "sees" the internal Mac sound card (the tiny mic) says that GarageBand does not yet recognize the M-Audio device.

Have the M-Audio drivers been installed?? If the answer is yes then go to GarageBand preference section and select M-Audio and de-select the internal sound preference.

Skip the whole part about trashing the entire system.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
go to GarageBand preference section and select M-Audio and de-select the internal sound preference.
You must change two sets of preferences - the GB preference as mentioned by Joseph and also the Mac's System Preferences.

In both cases choose "Sound", then "input" and select the m-Audio.

Another hint - while recording, monitor using headphones, rather than speakers. Plug the headphones into the m-Audio - this reduces latency.

You must also select m-Audio as the sound output in the two sets of preferences.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD