The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinedwards View Post
may I make an observation?

a first build will sound lke a GUITAR.

if you are lucky, and put in a LOT of effort, and take it SLOWLY, then it might even sound and play like a nice guitar.

for a first time builder to try and predict the final tone is.........

well,

optomistic!!
I am a lucky person and I intend to take it slowly - maybe a year or more. I'm going to follow the plans as closely as possible and ask a LOT of advice.

As for being optimistic, well I suppose I should be a little more pragmatic about the whole thing.

BTW, with any luck this won't be my last build.

Actually, in one of the books on this subject that I'm reading right now the act of building a guitar is "excellent therapy." GAS and a skewed sense of self-denial brought about by family commitments notwithstanding the main reason why I decided to undertake this project was to get my mind of other things for a few hours each week.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:54 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinedwards View Post
may I make an observation?

a first build will sound lke a GUITAR.

if you are lucky, and put in a LOT of effort, and take it SLOWLY, then it might even sound and play like a nice guitar.

for a first time builder to try and predict the final tone is.........

well,

optomistic!!
Sometimes they turn out like my first build
Old 08-14-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
GAS and a skewed sense of self-denial brought about by family commitments notwithstanding the main reason why I decided to undertake this project was to get my mind of other things for a few hours each week.
"You can't be any good to the ones you love if you're not good to yourself." It's perhaps a bit trite, but I had a grandmother who always used to say that. Getting away once in awhile to work on the guitar, and of course always having the build of that guitar simmering on the back burner of your mind, sounds like a marvelous release for you, Neil. I'm grateful you both have the opportunity and are making that opportunity a reality (and some provocation by John doesn't hurt a bit, either! ).

You are deserving. Build on!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
Sometimes they turn out like my first build

Yes, my friend. You set the bar high. It took you a year and you're fanatical about this stuff. My interest is still growing and I expect that it's gonna take me a little longer - but hopefully not MUCH longer.

I don't expect to be a Somogyi or McKnight. If I can make a guitar that sounds halfway decent, doesn't have pieces hanging off it, feels comfortable when I play it and satisfies my ear better than a guitar that was made in a faraway place by a robot or cheap labor then I'll be happy with the sense of accomplishment.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
If I can make a guitar that sounds halfway decent, doesn't have pieces hanging off it, feels comfortable when I play it and satisfies my ear better than a guitar that was made in a faraway place by a robot or cheap labor then I'll be happy with the sense of accomplishment.
PREcicesly my point!!
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 09:28 PM

I've been thinking about binding lately and would like to hear some opinions. There's a Taylor GS5 in my local shop that has white ivoroid binding and there's an R Taylor Style 1 (cedar/mahogany) that has EIR binding which I find looks much more tasteful. Personally, I like the EIR but since this is a DIY/custom building I was thinking maybe there's an option C that might be more to my liking. Basically, I'm looking for something that contrasts with the cedar and mahogany but I want a darker material dividing them, not a lighter one. I'd also prefer wood binding. What are some good choices? Cocobolo? Walnut? Ebony?
Old 08-15-2010, 05:52 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
I've been thinking about binding lately and would like to hear some opinions. There's a Taylor GS5 in my local shop that has white ivoroid binding and there's an R Taylor Style 1 (cedar/mahogany) that has EIR binding which I find looks much more tasteful. Personally, I like the EIR but since this is a DIY/custom building I was thinking maybe there's an option C that might be more to my liking. Basically, I'm looking for something that contrasts with the cedar and mahogany but I want a darker material dividing them, not a lighter one. I'd also prefer wood binding. What are some good choices? Cocobolo? Walnut? Ebony?
Walnut is free. I used Walnut binding on #1
Old 08-15-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Walnut is free. I used Walnut binding on #1
Ah - OK, I went back and took a look and while it does look nice I think a little darker would be nicer. Maybe we could look through that EIR scrap pile again?

BTW, the golden tone of your mahogany really came through after the French polishing. I have a feeling that mine could look really nice. It's still hard to visualize what the finished will look like even after handling the boards though.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Sorry about the Plexyglass Neil drew and drew and drew. Then with a razor he scored and scored and scored the half shape of the body. Then I came along and snapped a hunk off! I'll see if the superglue held We also glued half of his MDF boards together. I ran out of clamps! So, the other half I'll do today so they are ready for... next week?
Old 08-18-2010, 09:41 AM

I just gotta get more plexiglass, thats all. It actually came out better than I thought it would but I'm gonna do the cardboard outline just in case. I'm also going to review the Youtube video of John Hall of Blues Creek tracing the bracing lines on to the top.

BTW, it was a bit late by my watch but that's OK. I'm glad we're making progress and I'm really stoked that your sides came out so well.

Still, my older son woke me up at 2 and then again at 6AM so I didn't get much sleep. I'll try to make up for it tonight.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:06 PM

Hey YJ, do you think maybe we should give that plexiglass a second try only using some kind of saw to cut through it?

If not then tonight I'm tracing the bluprints with wax paper and transferring it on to that posterboard. If that's no good for mapping the braces then I'd try John Hall's method here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyllO...ext=1&index=10

BTW, the length of those sides has me a little nervous. We have to get it PERFECT at the neck block or else I'm gonna have to put a 4" wedge down at the heel!

Maybe I should just do a HD-28?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:59 PM

Neil:
Just leave 'em long, overlap in the mold, and cut once through both sides. The joint will be perfect............
Mikey
Old 08-20-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhammond View Post
Neil:
Just leave 'em long, overlap in the mold, and cut once through both sides. The joint will be perfect............
Mikey
That's not the issue. The sides are actually about 1/8" short.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Sorry about the Plexyglass Neil drew and drew and drew. Then with a razor he scored and scored and scored the half shape of the body. Then I came along and snapped a hunk off! I'll see if the superglue held We also glued half of his MDF boards together. I ran out of clamps! So, the other half I'll do today so they are ready for... next week?
I was thinking about this last night and think I need to build up momentum or else I'll be forgetting things along the way. I want to see what you did with the molds and the template. There's still some tracing to do and I think we need to double-check the outline against the plans just to be sure. Besides, I need to get my hands dirty too.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:09 PM

It's official: the build is underway. Last night we joined the back.

The mold is still not done but I have the outline ready to go and one set of molds is marked and ready to be cut.

As always, thank you thank you YJ for all your help. I don't think I could've worked that tablesaw in the dark and pouring rain. I hope you can fix your build.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair