The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-20-2020, 10:17 AM

Oh wow, that sounds really good amplified! Great playing as always and amazing guitar!

Old 02-20-2020, 10:19 AM

It does sound great but a couple of comments.....

hard to tell how much acoustic sound I am hearing vs the amp. You just turned sideways, but you are still much closer to the phone than the amp. Why not just put the phone or mic in front of the amp and move the guitar away from the recording source?

Second, why the loud string squeaks? Is that a fault of the K&K or the amp or the strings? I found them a little distracting at times. Sorry to be critical but was just wondering if there was a way to minimise those.

Also.....how does the Martin/KK combo compare to a J45/Anthem? Might be a good comparison! Thanks for doing these videos BTW!
Old 02-20-2020, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Gary...that does sound great. I've been using a Baggs Session DI with my K&K's but also have a Pure XLR K&K preamp. I'm just curious (if you don't mind sharing) about your setup regarding EQ on the preamp and the Fishman Charge. Many thanks!
By the way...the Outlaw is a stellar guitar. Great playing...thanks for sharing!
Hi Lew, thanks! My settings are:

K&K Pure XLR Pre
Vol - Noon
Treble - Noon
Mid - 10 o'clock
Bass - 10 o'clock

Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge amp Settings
Vol - Noon
Bass - 11 o'clock
Mid - 9 o'clock
Treble - 10-11 o'clock
Master - Noon
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-20-2020, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
It does sound great but a couple of comments.....

hard to tell how much acoustic sound I am hearing vs the amp. You just turned sideways, but you are still much closer to the phone than the amp. Why not just put the phone or mic in front of the amp and move the guitar away from the recording source?

Second, why the loud string squeaks? Is that a fault of the K&K or the amp or the strings? I found them a little distracting at times. Sorry to be critical but was just wondering if there was a way to minimise those.

Also.....how does the Martin/KK combo compare to a J45/Anthem? Might be a good comparison! Thanks for doing these videos BTW!
Fair enough jackB1. For what its worth, when I listen back to the video recording, I feel like that is the sound amplified. I have the volume up loud enough in the room to consume any acoustic volume bleed through for the most part. Not saying there isn't any bleed through. I just did my best to minimize it and being the one in the room, I think the video did a pretty good job showcasing the 'amplified' tone a listener would hear in the audience at my shows.

As for room logistics, I just do the best I can. I am not a pro reviewer and I try to keep the video dynamic and flowing. Maybe one day I'll get a pro set up with mics I can put in front of the amp or guitar etc. I just make do with what I have to work with.

As for string squeaks, I never met a new set of strings that didn't squeak more than when they had some hours on them. Just a fact of life. I don't lose sleep over that. Its part of the nuance for me.

K&K versus any acoustic with an Anthem is going to be very different. I had a J45 with an Anthem and it was superb. I have three Martins with Anthems right now and they have more air to the sound and are more scooped, but very musical.

This guitar with K & K is more woody and organic. Tonally it is more full range top to bottom. At Gig volume however, it might need a notch filter. I have a Baggs Align EQ on my pedal board and that has a notch filter to tame feedback if it happens.

Hope that helps ...and no worries at all about being critical. It all helps me grow, or make peace with things I can't control.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-20-2020, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Hi Lew, thanks! My settings are:

K&K Pure XLR Pre
Vol - Noon
Treble - Noon
Mid - 10 o'clock
Bass - 10 o'clock

Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge amp Settings
Vol - Noon
Bass - 11 o'clock
Mid - 9 o'clock
Treble - 10-11 o'clock
Master - Noon
Thanks Gary...much appreciated!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-20-2020, 01:05 PM

That sounds fantastic. Lovely playing.

Stupid question from someone who has never amplified an acoustic - can you not just plug straight into the amp? Is a pre-amp always necessary? Or is it just a tone tweaking thing, like a clean boost into an electric amp?
Old 02-20-2020, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
That sounds fantastic. Lovely playing.

Stupid question from someone who has never amplified an acoustic - can you not just plug straight into the amp? Is a pre-amp always necessary? Or is it just a tone tweaking thing, like a clean boost into an electric amp?
Yes you can plug a K&K equipped guitar straight into an amp. I simply found it was somewhat plastic/quacky sounding. Not horrible but I didn't care for it. Then I added the external K&K Pure XLR preamp that is impedance matched with the Pick up and it made a world of difference for tone shaping and overall musicality.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-20-2020, 02:56 PM

Love it! The was a Martin should sound!
Old 02-20-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Yes you can plug a K&K equipped guitar straight into an amp. I simply found it was somewhat plastic/quacky sounding. Not horrible but I didn't care for it. Then I added the external K&K Pure XLR preamp that is impedance matched with the Pick up and it made a world of difference for tone shaping and overall musicality.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. 👍
Old 02-20-2020, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info on your EQ Gary. I tried it tonight and it worked well. may with back th e K&K Pure XLR as my main preamp. Just wish it had a mute switch...oh well?
Thanks again!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-20-2020, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Thanks for the info on your EQ Gary. I tried it tonight and it worked well. may with back th e K&K Pure XLR as my main preamp. Just wish it had a mute switch...oh well?
Thanks again!
Glad to help. One thing I've learned about EQ is to "subtract" the offending frequencies. I almost never 'boost' any frequencies on any amp preamp, or external preamp.

My main misgivings about the Pure XLR preamp are:

1. It only runs on battery. (although it just occurred to me I could use a 9V battery clip cable that runs to my Voodoo labs Power supply. Hmm!!! :-)

2. If it had a notch filter, it would be even better!

I use a pedal board with tuner that serves as a mute switch, so I'm good in that regard. but if I was just carrying the Pure XLR with me to open mics, I can see the value of a mute switch.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-20-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Glad to help. One thing I've learned about EQ is to "subtract" the offending frequencies. I almost never 'boost' any frequencies on any amp preamp, or external preamp.

My main misgivings about the Pure XLR preamp are:

1. It only runs on battery. (although it just occurred to me I could use a 9V battery clip cable that runs to my Voodoo labs Power supply. Hmm!!! :-)

2. If it had a notch filter, it would be even better!

I use a pedal board with tuner that serves as a mute switch, so I'm good in that regard. but if I was just carrying the Pure XLR with me to open mics, I can see the value of a mute switch.

Well... you could trade that in for a ToneDexter... lol
Old 02-21-2020, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Great video. So many questions! I had the same experience back when I played guitars with K&K's predominantly. I'd tried many different solutions with varying levels of results but putting the small and rather inexpensive battery powered K&K pure preamp in front of it was a revelation. I liked having the battery power as I could put it on my guitar strap and use it live for gigging. In the end I put a small magnet on it and clipped it to my mic stand and then plugged into it wirelessly and it was great - cord freedom and EQ and volume at my fingertips. Don't worry about the battery power - it lasts a LONG time. I don't think I ever changed the battery on my in the few years I gigged with it! Just remember to not leave it plugged!! Also, I very much agree with the notch filter. Every preamp should have one, in my opinion.

Onto my questions:

First, great sound on the direct recording. What are you using? If it's just a mobile phone I'm impressed because the tone through my laptop speakers was great and my own experience with that is less than great. So if it is a mobile phone, what is it? If not, again, what is it?

I really love the tone of the D-17 and I'm not familiar with the model. I notice some other high-end Martins in your collection so I'm wondering how the D-17 stacks up tonally against the two D-18's? How about the ergonomics between them? (Scale, neck carve, string spacing?)
Old 02-21-2020, 09:00 AM

First off....what happened to your J45????!!!! Looks like you went all in on Martin. What gives?

Yes of course you're not a "pro reviewer". I just wanted to mention I couldn't tell how much the acoustic sound was interfering with the amplified sound. Certainly any mix of that nice acoustic sound will improve the overall final product the listener hears. I don't doubt it's a great sound, since I trust your ear based on our vast experience with amplified tone. Just saying I couldn't tell if it was interfering or not.

I have the Anthem SL in my J45 and it sounds pretty good. Never tried a KK but am tempted since it's so cheap and easy to install yourself. The Anthem does sound "airy" as does my Yamaha A3R with the mic/piezo blend SRT2 system. I prefer a full, lush sound with some harmonic overtones that is hard to describe, but I know it when I hear it. My Martin with the Aura system had it....(Why oh why did I get rid of that guitar!!!)

I do appreciate your videos and your playing is excellent BTW. One small request though Could you always include a little strumming so I can hear what that sounds like. It seems like strumming is where things sometimes go a bit downhill, whereas picking single notes can sometimes sound somewhat nice on even then most mediocre of systems.

Quote:
Fair enough jackB1. For what its worth, when I listen back to the video recording, I feel like that is the sound amplified. I have the volume up loud enough in the room to consume any acoustic volume bleed through for the most part. Not saying there isn't any bleed through. I just did my best to minimize it and being the one in the room, I think the video did a pretty good job showcasing the 'amplified' tone a listener would hear in the audience at my shows.

As for room logistics, I just do the best I can. I am not a pro reviewer and I try to keep the video dynamic and flowing. Maybe one day I'll get a pro set up with mics I can put in front of the amp or guitar etc. I just make do with what I have to work with.

As for string squeaks, I never met a new set of strings that didn't squeak more than when they had some hours on them. Just a fact of life. I don't lose sleep over that. Its part of the nuance for me.

K&K versus any acoustic with an Anthem is going to be very different. I had a J45 with an Anthem and it was superb. I have three Martins with Anthems right now and they have more air to the sound and are more scooped, but very musical.

This guitar with K & K is more woody and organic. Tonally it is more full range top to bottom. At Gig volume however, it might need a notch filter. I have a Baggs Align EQ on my pedal board and that has a notch filter to tame feedback if it happens.

Hope that helps ...and no worries at all about being critical. It all helps me grow, or make peace with things I can't control.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

... and with a flatpick--YES! Thanks, Gary, your Martin sounds great and even better when amplified! How much bleed-over do you think is present?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification