The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
Here is a neat little demo video comparing the Santa Cruz OM Grand with a Collings Deep Body OM.
I'm not sure this is a fair comparison since the Santa Cruz and Collings voicings are totally different. Santa Cruz OM/OM Grand combine a blend of vintage+modern voicing, vs Collings which is piano-like modern.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:15 AM
Charter Picker

FWIW here is another video comparison. Put on some headphones and close your eyes. It’s still not like playing them though.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:05 AM

thanks. martin m36 could be an other option but neck too narrow.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:17 AM

thanks. martin m36 could be an other option but neck too narrow.also in this video m36 sounds like more compressed and woody, santa cruz more open, "shimmer", reverb and sustain, something like an om28 vs om42
Old 01-24-2020, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by identity71 View Post
thanks. martin m36 could be an other option but neck too narrow.
The current (reimagined) M36 is a 1.75 - as is the OM Grand I believe - though I prefer 1 13/16ths and have that on 2 of my guitars.

Michaud TBD Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
Bashkin 00-12 Adirondack/Mahogany
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/Panama Rosewood (build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Martin 00-28c Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood ('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/Macassar Ebony
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Mahogany ('71)
Fender Strat ('90) and Tele ('19)
Old 01-24-2020, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

SC OMG - just listening to the videos above, the tone, balance, and presence of the SC is very clear - they just sound more “musical” - I also prefer the 1-13/16” nut, which SCGC does well, but I have been very happy with their 1-¾” mod V neck too - if I didn’t already have koa and braz SC OMs, an OMG would be high on my shopping list -

https://soundcloud.com/rnewman-1/san...chard-hoover-7
https://soundcloud.com/rnewman-1/san...richard-hoover
https://soundcloud.com/rnewman-1/lun...ith-rick-barto
Old 01-24-2020, 11:49 AM
Charter Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
SC OMG - just listening to the videos above, the tone, balance, and presence of the SC is very clear - they just sound more “musical” - I also prefer the 1-13/16” nut, which SCGC does well, but I have been very happy with their 1-¾” mod V neck too - if I didn’t already have koa and braz SC OMs, an OMG would be high on my shopping list -
That was my opinion too Tad.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
Here is a neat little demo video comparing the Santa Cruz OM Grand with a Collings Deep Body OM.

I find it revealing about the differences between the OM deeper body design vs. the larger lower bought design.

Wow! To me, the Collings deep body throws out a wall of sound that almost sounds amplified compared to the Santa Cruz Grand.

Last edited by Bill Sims; 01-24-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

And for many, volume is all that’s important -

Old 01-24-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
And for many, volume is all that’s important -
If you are snidely referring to me, I did not say volume is all that's important. And we all have preferences and opinions, just as you do.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:38 PM
Charter Picker

I own 3 Collings (2 OM & C100) and 2 SCGC (OM & OMG) and while I could never deny the power and complexity of the Collings tone, I enjoy both brands a whole lot. Both are great builds with very different tonal presentations. That’s an aspect I appreciate.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
If you are snidely referring to me, I did not say volume is all that's important. And we all have preferences and opinions, just as you do.
Sorry - didn’t mean to imply anything about your choices or preferences, only that many players (and some reviewers) judge solely on volume, and some (many?) builders build to that desire, or at least, make volume more important than any other quality -

The Collings just tend to not sound as “musical” to me - bright and loud, absolutely, and those can be important characteristics and quite appealing in many situations - but balanced and musical, I look elsewhere -

Whatever appeals to you - buy it! That’s all I do -

Old 01-24-2020, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

The OMG ships with SCGC low tension strings. The one in the video may be strung with those strings. Put on the mid tensions, or regular 13's, and it puts out more volume, or mine does anyway.

That said, it sounds and plays great with the low tension strings. I may go back. And forth.

Also, the Sound Pure guy is playing down by the bridge, which adds brightness. I would like to have seen that played over the sound hole, like the video in post #17.

Last edited by loco gringo; 01-24-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Sorry - didn’t mean to imply anything about your choices or preferences, only that many players (and some reviewers) judge solely on volume, and some (many?) builders build to that desire, or at least, make volume more important than any other quality -

The Collings just tend to not sound as “musical” to me - bright and loud, absolutely, and those can be important characteristics and quite appealing in many situations - but balanced and musical, I look elsewhere -

Whatever appeals to you - buy it! That’s all I do -
It's ok. I believe I understood the tone of your comment. But just to clarify my comment, I don't necessarily disagree with you. The only reason I mentioned hearing the difference in volume was because, to me, it seemed so significant. So significant that I chose to make a comment about it. I was not "judging" anything nor wanting to debate volume vs balanced and musical, or for that matter Collings vs Santa Cruz. I understand your connection and allegiance and I think that's great!

Last edited by Bill Sims; 01-24-2020 at 05:00 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion