The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 12:14 PM

Default Road tripping

Taking off Thursday for Santa Cruz. Planning to play every SCGC guitar at Sylvan and a drive by at the factory. Friday or Monday at Eric Schoenberg’s in Tiburon. Saturday at Gryphon. Terrapin Crossroads for Grateful Monday. Mighty Fine Guitars Tuesday on my way back home.

Let’s meet up.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Don’t miss the Martin room at Sylvan. That’s one of the best shops anywhere.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:33 PM

I forgot to mention Steve Swan’s Shop. He sold me two of my favorite guitars.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Have a great trip, mate.
But don't forget what happened in '80.
In Sonoma.

David
Old 01-20-2020, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
Taking off Thursday for Santa Cruz. Planning to play every SCGC guitar at Sylvan and a drive by at the factory. Friday or Monday at Eric Schoenberg’s in Tiburon. Saturday at Gryphon. Terrapin Crossroads for Grateful Monday. Mighty Fine Guitars Tuesday on my way back home.

Let’s meet up.

I don’t have the opportunity to visit these West Coast gems very often, but I’d love to get your take on this 000 at Sylvan.

https://www.sylvanmusic.com/store/p1...e_%26_Koa.html
Old 01-20-2020, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Let’s meet up.
Nice! I wish I lived on the west coast. I'd love to finally check out Terrapin Crossroads. The guitar shopping would just be gravy on top.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Yes, sounds like a great trip, enjoy Terripan Crossroads!
Old 01-20-2020, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Do check with Stevie at MFG, he isn't open all days of the week. Some days are for teaching. Been to all the stores you mentioned, MFG is my favorite due to the variety of builders.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 01-21-2020, 05:10 AM

Matt, if you decide to extend your road trip a little longer and take a swing through Chugiak, we’ll feed you supper.

whm
Old 01-21-2020, 05:38 AM

Now that’s what I call a road trip!

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 01-21-2020, 09:39 AM

Racer Bob, Stevie sold my Franklin OM. I’m taking a trio of guitars for him to consider. I am saving for a 1930 OM 18.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

You have a great itinerary there. I am fortunate to live in the area so can frequent these wonderful places. Enjoy and let us know what you discover.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-21-2020, 01:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Matt, sounds like a great trip! I used to live there in the Santa Cruz Mountains - you’ll have a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I don’t have the opportunity to visit these West Coast gems very often, but I’d love to get your take on this 000 at Sylvan.

https://www.sylvanmusic.com/store/p1...e_%26_Koa.html
Paul, I visited Sylvan shortly after they received this guitar (August 2017). It was my favorite guitar in the shop, and I’m amazed to see that it’s still there. I liked it so much, I took a couple of pics of it:

Old 01-21-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I forgot to mention Steve Swan’s Shop. He sold me two of my favorite guitars.
I was wondering, because of the territory you're covering, I assumed you'd have to include Steve.

Good luck with your OM-18 search. I think Steve used to have one on consignment for a while.

If you find yourself past Santa Cruz down to the Monterey Peninsula, let me know!!

Have a great trip - sounds like wonderful fun.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:58 PM

I first hit SCGC factory. I traded a box of peppermint and peanut butter taffy from Dewars in Bakersfield for some Parabolic Strings. Carolyn was kind enough to give me the replacement/insurance value on my Brazilian/Sitka Dread Cutaway. It’s now at $19,500!

Next stop was Sylvan. Played every SCGC that wasn’t locked in the case, about 22 guitars. When it was all said and done, my favorite of them all was a Sitka EIR OM/PW. It had great clarity, separation, and plenty of volume. It was perfect for me as a finger style or flat picked box. Adirondack just wasn’t doing it for me today.

The Koa guitar was better than most, but I was stuck on the OM/PW and the FS of Redwood and EIR. If I had the money, I would have taken those two home with me.

The real surprise of the day were the two Goodall OOO guitars. The Cutaway with Cocobolo and Adirondack and the Standard with Mahogany and Adirondack were really head and shoulders above the Cruz tonally. With rounder, fatter, warmer tones, they were closer to my Dread, which translates to they sounded older, wiser, and more played in.

I then hit the Martin room where the 1962 NY really tickled my ear drums. Old wood has the magic. A OOO 28 from ‘47 was also showing its wonderful age. Both guitars were worth taking home.

For the heck of it, I plugged the ‘56 Les Paul TV Special into a Princeton Reverb reissue. With original finish and pickups, it sounded great, reminiscent of my sadly gone ‘58.

The drive up the coast was relaxed and uncrowded with perfect, head high blue waves in the Pacific.

Tomorrow will be Schoenberg’s followed by lunch with a friend who just got his first Tele. I brought my Tele andboth my Tweed Deluxes so we can get crazy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion