The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-13-2012, 07:57 AM

Default Live Radio "Eight More Miles to Louisville"

At The Strawberry Music Festival there is an FM radio station set up during the length of the Festival. Aside from broadcasting the shows as they happen (so people who are at the campsites can listen while preparing dinner, taking care of the kids, etc.) and inbetween acts broadcasting news of the festival and recordings from festivals in the past, they also broadcast "The Breakfast Club" every morning with live shows from the stage of the dining hall/Amy's Orchid Lounge... shows performed live by various campers.

MaryAnn & I got our friend Mark to join us, used MaryAnn's band in waiting name of "Twangleweed" and signed up for a slot Friday morning. We expected to do three songs - one each, but called back for an encore. Our friend Ted recorded these off the radio in his computer back at our camp... Just mics through the board, then over the radio and the end quality is a bit rough, but here is part of what goes on.

This one is me singing lead on Grandpa Jones' song ...

Eight More Miles to Louisville

p.s. I usually play mandolin on this song, but we did want to carry extra instruments to the venue and the timing was really tight, so didn't want to be switching instruments. I took a stab at the mando leads on the guitar.

Last edited by kydave; 09-13-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:15 AM

Yeeehaaaw Dave, This sounds great. perfect voice for this song. Nice picking as well.

Bud
Old 09-14-2012, 07:55 AM

Thanks a lot, Bud! Being my hometown, I've thought about doing that song for years, but Sam does such a good job that when I lived & played in Louisville & he did too, I just didn't learn it.

Now out in California, a fan started bugging me to learn it, so our band took in on.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

I really like it. I'm originally from Louisville too, but it's my daughter's family who now lives in Northern California, Gilroy to be exact...

Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 AM

I wouldn't call Gilroy Northern California, but next time you're headed that way let me know and I'll see if we're playing anywhere realistically close.

It's funny, but when I first moved from Louisville to real Northern California, I was in Humboldt county and still about 100 miles from the Oregon border to the North. I'd read the SF Chronical and they'd be talking about "Northern California" but they were talking about places 350 miles South of where I lived and what, to any non-Californian looking at a map, would be "middle" or "central" California.

I've gotten some good mileage out of that line of thought in patter while introducing one of my songs, parodying swinging CA Silicone Valley living...

P.S. For instance: Gilroy to Crissey Field State Park (just over the Oregon border)= 450 miles
Gilroy to Tijuana just on the Mexican border = 445 miles

When I first moved, my sister in law in Kentucky called and said she'd be in California in a month for a convention and could we have lunch. When she told me she'd be in San Diego, I said, "Imagine I call & say I'll be on that side of the country, in central Florida (her in KY). Want to get together for lunch?" Silence... LOL!!!

Last edited by kydave; 09-14-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Whoa! Very well done, Dave! It sounded just right!

- Glenn
Old 09-15-2012, 06:24 AM

Always a pleasure to hear your music, Dave! Nice picking and vocals in this one, and I love Maryann's harmonies! Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed listening!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 PM

Thank you both very much!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:00 AM

Dave, nice job on this one. I liked your guitar pickin. The harmonies sounded good. The song rolled along real nice.

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs
Old 09-17-2012, 07:52 AM

Thanks very much, Gibby! MaryAnn is really good at singing harmonies. I'm a lucky man!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell