The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-16-2008, 08:43 PM

Default Suggestions for songs in three four or six eight time...?

Hi,

I've been learning You've Got Hide Your Love Away by the Beatles and a couple of great Pearl Jam songs which are all in 3/4 time...and I'm really enjoying them...Does anyone else have a penchant for this time signature and can anyone else suggest some more good, well known songs to learn in it...

And more of a newbie question, perhaps, but is there any difference between 3/4 time and 6/8 time. Sorry if that is a really novice question...

Thanks in advance,

Rc
Old 11-16-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadian View Post
Hi,

I've been learning You've Got Hide Your Love Away by the Beatles and a couple of great Pearl Jam songs which are all in 3/4 time...and I'm really enjoying them...Does anyone else have a penchant for this time signature and can anyone else suggest some more good, well known songs to learn in it...

And more of a newbie question, perhaps, but is there any difference between 3/4 time and 6/8 time. Sorry if that is a really novice question...

Thanks in advance,

Rc
Big difference in 3/4 and 6/8. 6/8 (single jig) is two triplet beats per measure versus a 3 beat measure in 3/4. 3/4 is more closely related to 9/8 (double jig) time.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:55 PM

HHP,

I need to be enlightened. I thought a jig was an irish dance or an attachment for a saw. What is single and double jig? Dare I ask; is there a triple jig?
Old 11-16-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Big difference in 3/4 and 6/8. 6/8 (single jig) is two triplet beats per measure versus a 3 beat measure in 3/4. 3/4 is more closely related to 9/8 (double jig) time.
I see what you are saying regards the triplets and a 3 beat measure...But if someone counts in: "One Two Three Four Two Three"...does that indicate it is 3/4 time or 6/8 time...

And can you indicate the difference by suggesting different strumming patterns? I know D DU DU is one that I presume is 3/4 time and I'm guessing DUD DUD would be a pattern in 6/8... Am I right?

Thanks,

Rc
Old 11-16-2008, 11:14 PM

The "feel" of the time signatures is more telling. 3/4 commonly thought of as waltz time... picture figure skaters or old time ball room waltzing. 6/8 has a more upbeat feel, a quicker tempo

Old 11-17-2008, 02:55 AM

Norwegian Wood

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

mud

"Do ya want it to be interesting, or do ya want it to be true?"

"So far, it's neither."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell