The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-28-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Sad. Wonder what happened, sounds like he had a hip injury but…that can’t be it, surely?
That is what got Tom Petty... kinda
Old 07-29-2021, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Sad. Wonder what happened, sounds like he had a hip injury but…that can’t be it, surely?
It can. Sometimes a hip injury will develop a blood clot, which breaks off and goes to the brain, causing a stroke- sometimes fatal. Many people have died this way. My sister in law had a stroke at 32 years old, and didn't even know she had suffered an internal injury (it was a ripped artery, from doing cross fit). Luckily, we got her to the ER quickly, and she is fine. But it could have easily been fatal.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 07-29-2021, 05:53 AM

Dusty Hill and ZZ Top Put Texas Music on the Map
Old 07-29-2021, 07:13 AM

Sad news. These three guys are legends. They must all be heart broken.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-29-2021, 07:14 AM

I saw them when Jeff Beck opened for them back on their 2015 tour. Great show...
Old 07-29-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
It can. Sometimes a hip injury will develop a blood clot, which breaks off and goes to the brain, causing a stroke- sometimes fatal. Many people have died this way. My sister in law had a stroke at 32 years old, and didn't even know she had suffered an internal injury (it was a ripped artery, from doing cross fit). Luckily, we got her to the ER quickly, and she is fine. But it could have easily been fatal.
That was one of two speculative things that crossed my mind as to cause -- but then we don't know, though human nature sometimes wants to fill in the blanks.

And it seems almost callous to consider this at a time of loss for folks who knew and liked the man, but I can't think of another significant band with a lineup that stayed intact for such a long time as ZZ Top. The pedant in me wonders if U2 are now the living champions in that department.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 07-29-2021 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

A sad loss indeed! Saw them at a small club in Aspen during the summer of 1971 (no long beards then), and have enjoyed following them over the years.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 07-29-2021, 09:22 AM

Because of his hip injury, I'm wondering if an opiate type pain killer (like Tom Petty) could have had something to do with it. That was my first thought yesterday, but who knows....It's such a pity.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:25 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:

My thoughts exactly. The most common potentially fatal immediate complication is fracture followed by PE or periop MI.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Oregon's Salem Armory was always a great venue in the 1970s for bands that might not fill the Portland Coliseum or Paramount (anymore/yet). Saw these unknowns there when they were touring ZZ Top's First Album or Rio Grande Mud. Phenomenal.

So when they came back to Portland with Tres Hombres (La Grange and JJLC all over the radio), they were sort of ‘my band’ already. And again in San Diego in 1990 or so with Recycler.

They tried some trendy changes over the decades with click tracks, synthesizers, etc., but there was always something outstanding on every album.

I probably thought heavy drug user Frank Beard (no beard) might be the first to go, but sometimes it’s not just about excessive lifestyles, dissipation or comatose ODs.

RIP Dusty Hill
Old 07-29-2021, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
I probably thought heavy drug user Frank Beard (no beard) might be the first to go, but sometimes it’s not just about excessive lifestyles, dissipation or comatose ODs.
Two words: Keith Richards...
Old 07-29-2021, 12:02 PM

I’m still saddened by this news. He surely seemed like one of the good guys in rock. It’s inevitable as people age and get older, but I hate seeing more and more legends die as it’s surely marking the end of a great era of music when these great talents keep passing.

As of right now, their show for Sunday is still on. I have mixed feelings but I’m still going to go. It definitely won’t be the same but maybe it’ll be a nice tribute for Dusty since he would’ve wanted them to keep playing. It was definitely fun watching them live with the chemistry they all had after doing this together for 50 plus years.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
I’m still saddened by this news. He surely seemed like one of the good guys in rock. It’s inevitable as people age and get older, but I hate seeing more and more legends die as it’s surely marking the end of a great era of music when these great talents keep passing.

As of right now, their show for Sunday is still on. I have mixed feelings but I’m still going to go. It definitely won’t be the same but maybe it’ll be a nice tribute for Dusty since he would’ve wanted them to keep playing. It was definitely fun watching them live with the chemistry they all had after doing this together for 50 plus years.
Please report back on how the show went.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Could be. (Not saying it is) In older people an injury like a hip injury can have a blood clot come free and travel through the circulatory system to the brain and cause a stroke. That is what took one of my grandmothers.
Quote:
This was may wife's first thought. She's an ER nurse, so she's seen this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Because of his hip injury, I'm wondering if an opiate type pain killer (like Tom Petty) could have had something to do with it. That was my first thought yesterday, but who knows....It's such a pity.
This was my first thought. Not necessarily implying abuse, but maybe over-took something or mixed pain meds with alcohol. We've seen several of these cases in recent years.

As a guitarist, I was always focused on Billy Gibbons. But it was the monstrous duo of Dusty Hill and Frank Beard that made the ZZ Top power trio work so well. Those early albums have stood up well and are hard to beat. R.I.P. Dusty.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:56 PM

I liked ZZ Top’s music well enough when a song would come on the radio, but not enough to buy any of their albums. Then when they came through Anchorage in the early 2000’s I got comped a couple of tickets and took my son to go see them.

My God - what a show! Their music, which had seemed simplistic and unchallenging in recordings, was hypnotic and compelling played live. It was downright mesmerizing.

Dusty Hill was a big part of their stage presence, and MAN he was in the pocket every instant they were playing. You can’t ask more of a bassplayer than that.

Rest In Peace, Dusty Hill.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic