The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 03:50 PM

[QUOTE=Dru Edwards;The handshake is one of the classiest moments in all of sports. I don't think we see that in other sports other than some individual one-on-one handshakes.[/QUOTE]

For me, this is one of the most interesting things to watch in sports. What makes it even more amazing is because of the way they have just finished going at each other. It's not like they were playing a golf match. I find it amazing and yes, very classy.

[QUOTE=Dru Edwards; Avery's antics resulted with an immediate NHL rule change during the playoffs. Now that's an accomplishment.[/QUOTE]

Well I missed this. If anyone would like to explain what the rule change was, i would love to hear it!
Old 07-06-2021, 03:54 PM

Another thing I would mention.... Growing up with the "Big Bad Bruins" back in the day I gotta say they can't play with these guys nowadays. It is fast. Phil Esposito and Wayne Cashman and Kenny Hodge would be left in the dust. Bobby Orr may make the roster. This game and the players have really picked it up a notch or two. Wow!
Old 07-06-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1 View Post
For me, this is one of the most interesting things to watch in sports. What makes it even more amazing is because of the way they have just finished going at each other. It's not like they were playing a golf match. I find it amazing and yes, very classy.

Well I missed this. If anyone would like to explain what the rule change was, i would love to hear it!
The Sean Avery Rule: Here it is, and it happened during a playoff game. I've never seen a rule implemented so quickly before (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-avery-rule):

"With two members of the Devils in the penalty box, for half a minute or so, which is a long time in a hockey game, Avery blocked Brodeur’s view by waving his arms and stick in front of his face and mimicing Brodeur's every move.

Avery, the much maligned but talented forward, actually turned his back to the play and, facing Brodeur, waved his stick repeatedly right in Brodeur's face to distract him."
The next morning, the NHL issued a new rule to cover the situation.

It is known as "The Sean Avery Rule." The rule makes it illegal for a player to stand in front of a goalie and wave his or her stick in the netminder's face. The NHL announced that henceforth such behavior would result in a two-minute penalty."
Old 07-06-2021, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
Another thing I would mention.... Growing up with the "Big Bad Bruins" back in the day I gotta say they can't play with these guys nowadays. It is fast. Phil Esposito and Wayne Cashman and Kenny Hodge would be left in the dust. Bobby Orr may make the roster. This game and the players have really picked it up a notch or two. Wow!
Well, Espo wouldn't be allowed to park himself in the crease and clean up the garbage. He'd also have to come back and sacrifice scoring for playing in the system. Back then you won by outscoring and outhitting - today you can have the best talent but will lose if you don't play the best system. It's what's made the league so tough and the reason I don't think we'll see a dynasty if the Lightning close it out. Can easily see 5-6 teams who'll go into next season as favorites to win the Cup in some corners.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 07-06-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Well, Espo wouldn't be allowed to park himself in the crease and clean up the garbage. He'd also have to come back and sacrifice scoring for playing in the system. Back then you won by outscoring and outhitting - today you can have the best talent but will lose if you don't play the best system. It's what's made the league so tough and the reason I don't think we'll see a dynasty if the Lightning close it out. Can easily see 5-6 teams who'll go into next season as favorites to win the Cup in some corners.
I agree. Coaching matters. There has to be a 'system' and everyone must be on the same page. The game is dynamic so adjustments are made on the fly. I love watching defensemen pitch in and forwards covering their spot. Good teams seem to do it by instinct but it is coaching, system and hockey sense. All in fast time. Tampa is pretty good at it. I like watching them play.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
I agree. Coaching matters. There has to be a 'system' and everyone must be on the same page. The game is dynamic so adjustments are made on the fly. I love watching defensemen pitch in and forwards covering their spot. Good teams seem to do it by instinct but it is coaching, system and hockey sense. All in fast time. Tampa is pretty good at it. I like watching them play.
+1. That's one of the things that I see from Team Canada at the Olympics. Patrice Bergeron was on the team to win the critical faceoffs and to forecheck - not to focus on offense.

Game 5 tonight!
Old 07-07-2021, 09:17 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Congrats to Tampa! It’s hard enough to win the Stanley Cup, but to do it twice in a row...unbelievable. It’s been said before, but it’s sooo nice to see both teams shake hands and congratulate each other after grinding so hard. Very classy!
Old 07-07-2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Congrats to Tampa! It’s hard enough to win the Stanley Cup, but to do it twice in a row...unbelievable. It’s been said before, but it’s sooo nice to see both teams shake hands and congratulate each other after grinding so hard. Very classy!
Great for Tampa. What a run. Montreal also had a great run. A 1-0 game was fun to watch. Tampa is hard to penetrate and then there is that fantastic goalie. So congrats to Tampa and Montreal should be proud of their effort.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:06 PM
Anticipation Junkie

This 2020-21 season thread is close to its 300 post limit, so this thread has been closed with the last three posts moved to the new NHL Off-Season Discussion thread
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic