The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-08-2021, 02:25 AM
Charter Member

I’m looking forward to seeing and hearing the Blaze Zephyr, the build details are gorgeous.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-13-2021, 12:23 AM

Wowser! Nice work Steve!

I'm doing another tune with The Element. I'll send you a link soon.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Steve’s been burning the midnight oil for quite a few weeks now…resulting in an absolute gaggle of guitars flying around the shop…..and it’s a good thing that I have a third eye in the back of my head because I’d probably get hit by one if I didn’t have it!!!

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-29-2021, 09:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
Steve’s been burning the midnight oil for quite a few weeks now…resulting in an absolute gaggle of guitars flying around the shop…..and it’s a good thing that I have a third eye in the back of my head because I’d probably get hit by one if I didn’t have it!!!
Lots of new pics coming! I'm literally working two shifts a day to get three spec guitars done in time for the BIG show in September, plus two commissioned ones. FIVE guitars in rotation now. I've been too busy building them to post pictures. I'll have the reveal of the just-built ES 75 Siren (Brazilian Rosewood/German Spruce) ready sometime this evening, or tomorrow morning. Thanks for updating the thread, Joel.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:52 PM

Wow Steve, on behalf of B.I.G. (the return) as well as everyone coming, thank you for your devotion to get these show guitars done. I hope you get to take none of them home.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Awe, c’mon, Tom, can’t I at least keep this sweet little BRW/German Siren? (Wink wink)IMG_2868.jpgIMG_2865.jpg
Old 06-30-2021, 10:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

I'm finishing up the neck on a Malaysian Blackwood/Adirondack EP-SC Performance guitar (my biggest model) today and tomorrow. Stay tuned, I'll have some studio photos of all my B.I.G. guitars soon. Too busy building to do anything else right now.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Awe, c’mon, Tom, can’t I at least keep this sweet little BRW/German Siren? (Wink wink)Attachment 58789Attachment 58790
Them's some good bones right there. That's going to be a good looking axe!

What model is that? A OO?
Old 06-30-2021, 11:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Edwinson 2021- Coming Up For Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Them's some good bones right there. That's going to be a good looking axe!

What model is that? A OO?

It’s my ES75 Siren model, my smallest guitar. I guess you could call it a Jumbo Parlor. It’s 13 1/4” wide in the lower bout, bigger than most parlor guitars, but smaller than a Martin 0-size. The cutaway version is called the EF75 Falcon.
These little guitars punch way above their weight class. They have an intoxicating voice as the name would imply. This is the first one I’ve made with Brazilian Rosewood an German Spruce. Also the first one with a slotted headstock, and a 24.5” scale length.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have been burning the candle at both ends lately, with FIVE guitars in rotation, and the deadline looming ever closer. Three of the guitars are going to debut at Tom's B.I.G. show, which is now less than two months away. So I've been too busy working in the shop to summon up a third wind, sufficient to update this thread.
But I finally have all three show guitars fully built and in the finish room now. It's still going to be a squeaker, but I think I'll have sufficient cure time for the lacquer to get the guitars sanded, polished, buffed, and assembled in time for the BIG show.
I took the last two guitars into my bootleg studio to shoot some "tasteful nudes" yesterday, so I can finally show you guys what I've been obsessing on.

The first one is the "Siren Azul", a Brazilian Rosewood Siren model (my littlest guitar model), with a German Spruce top, dual side sound ports, flamed Pyinma bindings and trim, a Pogoda style slotted headstock, Mosaic rosette and back inlay, and the Appollo style bridge. This little guitar punches way above its weight class, and is a lot of fun to play. The model name, "Siren", is supposed to evoke thoughts of those mystical creatures in Homer's Odyssey, who lived on a tiny island, and who sang with such intoxicating sweetness that sailors in their ships passing by would become entranced, and crash on the rocky shore. It's not supposed to imply that this guitar sounds like fire trucks and ambulances rushing by outside.
This particular Siren has a longer than standard 24.5" scale length, with 13 frets to the body, nineteen frets total. I'll be setting it up for easy fingerstyle playing.

I'm going to be outfitting this Siren with a set of Swiss-made, matte black Schertler open gear tuners with Ebony buttons.
I put dual inlaid side sound ports on this guitar, which is a pretty new Edwinson standard feature. I've found that the upper bout sound port brings out a fatter, rounder bass response; while the smaller lower bout port tends to bring out a bit more volume and tone color in the mids and trebles. You get a really three dimensional sound with this configuration, and the player is able to hear all the nuance and character in the guitar. Dual ports also give you some versatile options for recording with microphones.
Look closely, and you'll see that this siren has lots of blue (Azul) decorative elements, like dyed veneer purfling lines, and Azurite/Copper and turquoise fretboard markers.
Now that I've got some lacquer on this guitar, these "nude" photos look kind of drab. I love how all the woods come alive under finish. The Brazilian Rosewood is beautiful! And the mosaic rosette and back inlay really spark up.

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535

Next up, a Malaysian Blackwood/Adirondack EP/SC Performance guitar, which is the largest guitar I make, in the category of Grand Auditorium or Small Jumbo. Stay tuned!
Old 07-07-2021, 08:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Forgot to include this shot. The Siren Azul, reclining peacefully in the custom fitted Ameritage case...

Old 07-07-2021, 09:39 PM

Stunning Steve, that looks amazing! Love the blue accents all over it. I really like your take on the soundports these days as well!
Old 07-08-2021, 09:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you, Tom! Can't wait to put the Siren in your hands and see your reaction to it. I've never made one of these with BRW or German Spruce, or a slotted headstock, or the longer scale length... So I'm particularly eager to hear it myself. This may be the best one yet.

I have one other guitar that I'm bringing to the B.I.G. that no one on Earth except me and Joel has seen yet. It's my largest model, about the same size as a Taylor Grand Auditorium. The Performance model is a powerful and highly versatile guitar, highly responsive, and a great dynamic range. This one is an EP/SC Performance model. The SC is for Scoop Cutaway.
The back and sides are Malaysian Blackwood, which is a species of Ebony, and it has a strong Rosewood vibe. It's very dense and heavy, and has that somewhat metallic, sustaining, musical tap tone that you associate with woods like Cocobolo and BRW. The top is Red Spruce; it was sold to me as "5A Adirondack", but I'm pretty certain that it's the same species as Adirondack Red Spruce (Picea rubens), but a more southern variant, probably sourced from the Appalachian or Smoky Mountains on the Eastern Seaboard. It is excellent tonewood, as Adirondack is legendary for, and definitely a very high grade set.

I made the fingerboard, bridge, front and back head plates, bindings, bevels, and scoop with highly figured Ziricote, which I think plays beautifully with the Malaysian Blackwood. Purflings are rust veneer lines with flamed Maple. The neck is mahogany with center lamination.
This guitar has a few special features. Dual, inlaid side sound ports, the scoop cutaway, an Omega headstock, Ryan-style arm and rib bevels, segmented back inlay, Element style rosette, Appollo style bridge (originally designed for our Forum friend, Mike Appollo), and lots of copper and black MOP decorative elements. The scale length is 25.5"; Nut width is 1 13/16", and string spread @ saddle is 2 1/4". I'm planning on setting this guitar up for primarily fingertyle, but with the combination of the Malay Blackwood and Red Spruce, no doubt this guitar will have loads of headroom, and will be right at home as a high octane strummer or flatpicker too.

Without Further ado, here are some photos of this guitar:

It is now time to spray the fifth coat of lacquer. Thanks for looking, and stay tuned. Pun intended.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:19 AM

Wow! I'd love to hear what that sounds like! I'm thinking as axe like that would be killer for drop tunings.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Smile Wow

Yowza! You HAVE been busy, Steve!

These look SWEET

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop