The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-26-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanter View Post
Tom, no worries, you didn’t hijack anything. I read and reread and my conclusion is that this is a case of misunderstanding in terminologies. Again, a picture says a thousand words!

Here are the laminated linings for the top edge of the sides.

You will also notice a raw Spanish Cedar heel block and Maple neck block here. The soundport veneer is also in Maple.

Tada! Laminated lining for top, treble side only. Material used is Honduran Mahogany.

So, I guess some refer to the second piece of veneer used in double sides as the laminated “lining” while John refers to the above as the linings, which I believe are also called kerfings.

Hope I haven’t brought more confusion to the table!
Yes, you nailed it. I call linings what some builders are doing to make double or even triple sides (my Taran). I call the other kerfing as you mentioned. So that is why I just could not figure out what we were talking about here. Now it makes sense knowing that John is calling these linings. I know a lot of builders who think the stiffer they can make the sides the better so they are using 2 or sometimes 3 thinner "sides" laminated together so it is stiffer, but hardly thicker than a single side. It was those 1 to 2 additional sides that I was calling linings.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

My understanding is that kerf can be a verb and it refers to cutting thin slots in a thick piece of wood so that it can be bent more easily....to kerf a piece of wood makes it easier to bend. (That explanation is from the department of redundancy department) So linings can be Kerfed or not. Sometimes they are cut from solid wood to make thick linings for bevels, sometimes laminated, sometimes they are kerfed and then stacked like i occasionally do to make linings for bevels. I don’t know if there is a precise term in guitar making for the stack of veneers used to lay up a laminated side.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Default John Kinnaird 2021 NEW Model Build Thread: Lucky Strike x African Blackwood

Hope everyone is having a good Good Friday!

More pics of the Lucky Strike top, rough sanded. I love how it has so much character throughout. The grains, the dark and light lines at interplay, the silking, the dark stripe down the middle. And to think it can only get better from here. Absolutely gorgeous.

And here the sides are joined. Greybeard was officially coined by John on 19 Feb 2021. The build is a little more advanced at this point, but I’m just pacing the updates. Here you can see the sides joined on the day Greybeard was given its name.

One reason the posts are intermittent is because we took some time to look for that Crazy Quilted Maple, and to finalize a rosette design. From the earlier build I knew I always wanted a shadow mosaic rosette in a “nouveau” style, but also didn’t want to settle on a design that would be too distracting and take too much attention away from the amazing LS top. Many many ideas were being thrown around, including some ridiculous and ugly hand-drawn mock-ups by me. John might have choked on some coffee. In the end, leaving the artist to do his work was the right path. The mosaic (which was supposed to be in some Bog Oak) idea was discarded and John nudged me in this direction, which I am thankful for.

We have not decided fully on the color and materials of the borders and lines but essentially each segment will be made up of different colors from the Quilted Maple set. You get the idea.

So John got to work, and he wanted to be very careful with the treatment of the LS top, so it’s almost like 1 inlay per day.

No juice pic.

Juice pic. I got so excited I had to share! This was today. A good Good Friday indeed.

The rosette is one of my favorite parts of the guitar and I love seeing it come to life!

Last edited by Hanter; 04-02-2021 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:56 PM

Looks so good, I agree rosettes can make or break a guitar, so getting it right is so important.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Wow, that redwood really is extraordinary.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Wow, that redwood really is extraordinary.

It is isn’t it Jamie! Bet you are having / had a very difficult time choosing a set?
Old 04-03-2021, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

This is coming along beautifully!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-04-2021, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Default John Kinnaird 2021 NEW Model Build Thread: Lucky Strike x African Blackwood

By evening on Saturday, the major pieces had already been inlaid, including the abalone highlights.

John spent Easter Sunday inlaying the rest of the lines, points, and finally removing the soundhole, which too is bound with some Crazy Quilted Maple. The colors of the Maple on the soundhole binding and individual segments don’t come out 100% on pictures, but it does transition from white to golden to dark brown with some reddish hue.

The dark line which frames the soundhole is Brazilian Rosewood, which will also be the main binding for the rest of the body. The short golden lines which spring out across the segments are mahogany from the Fiddleback Tree. These will feature as purflings as well on the guitar.

Last edited by Hanter; 04-04-2021 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

I'm impressed with the fact that he routed for the fiddleback mahogany lines AFTER inlaying the the other rings. Looking good!
Old 04-04-2021, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
I'm impressed with the fact that he routed for the fiddleback mahogany lines AFTER inlaying the the other rings. Looking good!

Thanks Dan. I can imagine you must be on a guitar and lutherie high now. I’m also very impressed and envious of your week-long affair. Congratulations on your endeavor and building yourself a very fine looking instrument!
Old 04-05-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Smile Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanter View Post
Thanks Dan. I can imagine you must be on a guitar and lutherie high now. I’m also very impressed and envious of your week-long affair. Congratulations on your endeavor and building yourself a very fine looking instrument!
What Hanter said!

And, this may well be my fave "deconstructed" rosette I have seen! I especially like the rays of flamed Mahogany which appear to me to be holding it all together.

Nice stuff John!!! Congratulations to you both!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-05-2021, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
And, this may well be my fave "deconstructed" rosette I have seen! I especially like the rays of flamed Mahogany which appear to me to be holding it all together.

Nice stuff John!!! Congratulations to you both!

Paul
Thanks very much Paul!

I realized that in addition to what Tom said in an earlier post about how a rosette can make-or-break a guitar, a deconstructed one could also be a love-it-or-hate-it style. I'm obviously and ecstatically in love with mine, but all comments are welcome (this forum is such a positive and encouraging one, unlike others which I spend my time on as well; you seldom see any form of negativity, blasting or even sarcasm... such an amazing community). I promise not to take it to heart!
Old 04-13-2021, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

The back was at a thickness too thick for the abrasive planer and too thin for resawing, so John first used an electric planer to hog off some material.

Then came the jointing plane to level things up.

Pic of the inner face where most of the reduction is taking place.

Then the scraper plane was introduced to smooth things up on the outer face.

You can see some of the browns, purples and blacks coming out. Those chocholate shavings look quite delicious if I may add.

Meanwhile front linings on for the sides are on! I am pretty in love with the new Greybeard shape.

Back view. Back linings not on yet.

And finally a rough pic of the end profile showing the Manzer Wedge. I believe it’s in the order of half an inch taper. So the thickest part of the lower bout is now 4.875” while the thinnest is 4.375”. This puts the average depth in the middle at 4.625”. John is staunch in his belief that notions of a deeper body does not mean all that much and he is able to “compensate” in more ways than one, this is welcome news for a small guy like me!

I thought I’d also mention that the waist, post-bending and joining of sides, ended up at 9.3125”. This is slimmer than what was spec-ed initially, but the comfort factor will be increased, a sharper looking guitar overall, and perhaps faster response since ABW is known to have some “delay” built in.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

I'm loving the shape of Greybeard as well--beautiful flowing lines.

And that blackwood and redwood both look incredible--I'm predicting amazing tone from this guitar!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-14-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
I'm loving the shape of Greybeard as well--beautiful flowing lines.

And that blackwood and redwood both look incredible--I'm predicting amazing tone from this guitar!

I know Nemoman to be a man with impeccable tastes in guitars and friends and I concur 100%.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop