The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Got lucky with this one. Stopped my truck in the road to take it. Had to get my window down and my camera ready quick as there was traffic coming up behind me. Plus these guys were getting nervous.

I submitted it to Channel 9 news out of Denver, and they showed it during last night's newscast. I didn't see it, but I'm getting texts from friends who did

Note the haze, that's due to the western wildfires.
Nice shot , some healthy Bucks.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-25-2021, 10:14 AM

Last week I was photographing an event at USC Aiken (South Carolina). It was a twirling/drum majorette even and, believe it or not, it's some of the most difficult stuff I've ever photographed.

Anyway, I took my 100-400mm lens so I could zoom in to capture the emotion that many of the participants tend to show.

This girl performed an absolutely flawless routine, and this expression on her face is all you need to see that she knew she nailed it:

Old 07-25-2021, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
Last week I was photographing an event at USC Aiken (South Carolina). It was a twirling/drum majorette even and, believe it or not, it's some of the most difficult stuff I've ever photographed.

Anyway, I took my 100-400mm lens so I could zoom in to capture the emotion that many of the participants tend to show.

This girl performed an absolutely flawless routine, and this expression on her face is all you need to see that she knew she nailed it:

Stunning photo what intensity on her face

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-25-2021, 11:18 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post

Cool photo! Hopefully, the exuberant young lady will get to see it.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Looks like Prairie Creek S.P. in Humboldt?
Yes, Prairie Creek. One of my fav places. Here is a wonderful/scary story on the trip of those photos...

It was the spring after a horrendously wet winter. The highway south of Crescent City was washed away! The redwoods have very small root systems. My original camping spot was in the forest, but ummm, things were falling from the trees. So I changed spots and moved out into the open area (near where the Roosevelts hang out). I was talking with a ranger and he was telling me that trees have come down from the sodden ground. One apparently so big that the landing shook the earthquake sensors in Eureka. Just as he finished there was a huge gust of wind. We watched the trees on the other side of the field swaying, then a 250+ foot tree slowly, slowly, toppled over. THUD!!!

It was awesome (and sort of scary) to watch. That is why I did not want to camp among the trees.

Oh, and at Cape Lookout in Oregon - my top spot on the Oregon coast to camp - the winter storms hammered the beach. I was shocked at the change, so spoke with the rangers about it. They told me that the storms were so strong that they literally washed the beach away. Thirty (30!) vertical feet of beach disappeared. Instead of sand there is just rocks. They figure it will take decades (if at all) for it to recover. Wow.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 07-28-2021, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
Yes, Prairie Creek. One of my fav places. Here is a wonderful/scary story on the trip of those photos...

It was the spring after a horrendously wet winter. The highway south of Crescent City was washed away! The redwoods have very small root systems. My original camping spot was in the forest, but ummm, things were falling from the trees. So I changed spots and moved out into the open area (near where the Roosevelts hang out). I was talking with a ranger and he was telling me that trees have come down from the sodden ground. One apparently so big that the landing shook the earthquake sensors in Eureka. Just as he finished there was a huge gust of wind. We watched the trees on the other side of the field swaying, then a 250+ foot tree slowly, slowly, toppled over. THUD!!!

It was awesome (and sort of scary) to watch. That is why I did not want to camp among the trees.

Oh, and at Cape Lookout in Oregon - my top spot on the Oregon coast to camp - the winter storms hammered the beach. I was shocked at the change, so spoke with the rangers about it. They told me that the storms were so strong that they literally washed the beach away. Thirty (30!) vertical feet of beach disappeared. Instead of sand there is just rocks. They figure it will take decades (if at all) for it to recover. Wow.
I grew up about 25 miles south of Prairie Creek. Camped there a lot, but never in those conditions! There's a nice MTB trail there, the Ossegon trail which loops around the park and goes by Fern Canyon. Amazing area, one of the best campgrounds in the country IMO. I mean, there are many amazing campgrounds, but for Redwoods and untouched, natural beach, you can't beat it.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I grew up about 25 miles south of Prairie Creek. Camped there a lot, but never in those conditions! There's a nice MTB trail there, the Ossegon trail which loops around the park and goes by Fern Canyon. Amazing area, one of the best campgrounds in the country IMO. I mean, there are many amazing campgrounds, but for Redwoods and untouched, natural beach, you can't beat it.
IMO as well. Like I said, one of my fav areas. I spent a week in Prairie Creek and hiked, I think, every trail in the place. I have friends in Fort Dick (just north of Crescent City) and have spent many a day hiking all through all the redwood parks.

Ossagon is fantastic. It competes with Rhododendron as tops for me. Rhododendron does not have the beach, but doing it in late spring with the rhododendrons actually in bloom is amazing. That pink shattering the green stops me in my tracks.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 07-28-2021, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
IMO as well. Like I said, one of my fav areas. I spent a week in Prairie Creek and hiked, I think, every trail in the place. I have friends in Fort Dick (just north of Crescent City) and have spent many a day hiking all through all the redwood parks.

Ossagon is fantastic. It competes with Rhododendron as tops for me. Rhododendron does not have the beach, but doing it in late spring with the rhododendrons actually in bloom is amazing. That pink shattering the green stops me in my tracks.
You might be interested in the work of my homeboy Zack, who has taken up photography lately and really has a feel for Humboldt. He's lived there his whole life.

https://www.instagram.com/zackatak71/

Rhodies: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJqqoK9h28f/
Old 07-28-2021, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Well, I used to be a photographer, and Got my associateship of the Royal and a FIAP gold medal, but that was back when we had film and dark rooms.

But here's a recent pic of me and some other stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0456 (2).jpg (41.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0489 (3).jpg (22.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0510 (2).jpg (31.1 KB, 89 views)
Old 08-01-2021, 12:26 AM

Quote:
You might be interested in the work of my homeboy Zack, who has taken up photography lately and really has a feel for Humboldt. He's lived there his whole life.

https://www.instagram.com/zackatak71/

Rhodies: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJqqoK9h28f/
Wow! Almost makes me want to get a smartphone. Trying to look at Instagram on a PC is not that great. Boy, wow, he is very good. A little over processed in my mind, but hey I remain rather old-fashioned. That pink among the green blows me away. Love me them rhodies.

That pink variety is very popular here in Vancouver. For years I did not know that they are native to west coast northern California. When I lived in Nepal I was fortunate enough to spend time in rhodie forests (real forests) where the trees are trees, not shrubs. 80 - 90 feet tall blooming rhodo trees stretching off into the distance is remarkable. A whole valley of tall rhodos, in bloom.

Old 08-01-2021, 01:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow! Almost makes me want to get a smartphone. Trying to look at Instagram on a PC is not that great. Boy, wow, he is very good. A little over processed in my mind, but hey I remain rather old-fashioned. That pink among the green blows me away. Love me them rhodies.

That pink variety is very popular here in Vancouver. For years I did not know that they are native to west coast northern California. When I lived in Nepal I was fortunate enough to spend time in rhodie forests (real forests) where the trees are trees, not shrubs. 80 - 90 feet tall blooming rhodo trees stretching off into the distance is remarkable. A whole valley of tall rhodos, in bloom.
I agree he overdoes the processing a bit. He’s better about that than he used to be, so hoping he continues to evolve his eye and use color in a bit more sophisticated way. Also PC’s do tend to enhance contrast and saturation over say Macs.

Wow, that’s incredible about those trees! That must have been wonderful to see.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Saw this train in the fading light on my way back from Napa the other night.

Old 08-03-2021, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

And also found this roadside diner which I liked a lot. Not the greatest direction of light for the subject, but still enjoyed shooting it.

Old 08-06-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
And also found this roadside diner which I liked a lot. Not the greatest direction of light for the subject, but still enjoyed shooting it.
Not from the area but I’ve been to this one and enjoyed it. Took similar pics. Will post soon.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Not from the area but I’ve been to this one and enjoyed it. Took similar pics. Will post soon.
Look forward to seeing your view of it!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic