The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-23-2021, 03:39 PM

Evan, projection seems always to be a deal breaker for you.
  • The Journey sound is balanced and good, but they are not nearly as loud as a good classical.
  • They are small guitars.
  • They have only 17 frets.
  • The playability is just fine for me.
If you play unplugged with a group of friends, you will likely not be happy.

Plugged in? No problem, of course.

If the above info does not dissuade you, then, as always, it's your decision.

As for Emerald, you know them better than most.

For me, my playing needs are well met by the steel string Journey (for now-nylon Journey maybe someday).
Old 06-23-2021, 06:00 PM
Guest 928

Thank you AC. You make me think.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:04 AM
Guest 928

I'm still confused about the comparison between the X7 and the Journey. The 7 has a short scale and the Journey has a long scale. And yet, they are both about the same length. Does that imply that the long scale Journey would have approximately the same arm reach as the short scale 7??
Old 06-24-2021, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I'm still confused about the comparison between the X7 and the Journey. The 7 has a short scale and the Journey has a long scale. And yet, they are both about the same length. Does that imply that the long scale Journey would have approximately the same arm reach as the short scale 7??

Evan,
The body length on the Journey is stated to be 18 inches. My X7 has a 16 inch body.
The extra length in the scale length appears to be mainly body length as opposed to neck length ( reach). I’m betting the left hand reach is nearly identical.
Best,
Tom
Old 06-24-2021, 11:34 AM
Guest 928

Thank you Tom. I was sort of guessing that to be the case but needed some confirmation.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Your welcome.
With the longer/ larger body I wonder how the tone compares to the X7. It may be superior? Wondering over here.

I know you aren’t a fan of the detachable neck but from a travel convenience standpoint it is hard to beat.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:18 PM
Guest 928

Yes, and the table is tilting toward the Journey. I've almost sold enough wooden guitars to purchase the Journey, in which case I would be keeping the 10. Nice having options................
Old 06-24-2021, 01:06 PM

To keep the size small enough to fit in an overhead--and yet have a classical full scale length, Journey moved the bridge further down on the main body.

You might be able to compare the steel and nylon versions better from this photo from their website. Look at the bridge placement.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:36 PM
Guest 928

AC;

Wow! That really makes it clear, thank you.

Projection has been a sticking point for me, but not one that has stopped my consumption of carbon fiber guitars. I've been willing to take a little less projection for a lot more comfort and durability. And I've also made a point of letting the CF makers know that while they have reached nice tonal qualities, they are still lacking in projection (with nylon string guitars).
Old 06-24-2021, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Journey OC660M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
To keep the size small enough to fit in an overhead--and yet have a classical full scale length, Journey moved the bridge further down on the main body.

You might be able to compare the steel and nylon versions better from this photo from their website. Look at the bridge placement.

That is interesting AC. Thanks for that.
Emerald made the X7 I own a standard scale nylon guitar by moving the bridge.
I’ve seen some discussion concerning the generally accepted ideal bridge placement to optimize tone. My X7 and the Journey nylon defy that preconception.
I wonder if string scale plays a greater role in tone than bridge placement when considering a small, nylon strung, carbon fiber guitar.
Apparently, Journey believes it does. I have to believe when they made the prototypes they compared scale length vs bridge placement,etc. and the resulting tone.

I’m curious how these Journey nylons sound.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:28 AM

Evan,

Journey does have a number of dealers in California if you have any reason to head in that direction. That would allow you to try in person.

You could also give Ted @ LA Guitar a call. That is where my OF660 came from.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:00 PM
Guest 928

I found a pretty compelling review: Stephanie Jones on the OC660M.She's almost too cute but her review is well beyond cute. She demonstrates the guitar in acoustic and wired modes and does a great job. A worthy review. If I were Journey I'd have this review on my website.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:09 PM

I'm a Stephanie Jones fan and have been aware of this review. I think its a great one.

The two things that make me not particularly want this model is that it's neck is narrower than the standard classical neck, and it doesn't have a truss rod. It's possible that with an adjustable truss rod, one could mitigate or even eliminate the buzzing she noted in her review. - But maybe a visit to a luthier could fix that...though I'm not sure how many are used to working with carbon fiber, and a removable neck.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:38 PM
Guest 928

bt;

She's new to me and what a powerhouse!

I like the 1 7.8" nut width and I've had several CF guitars without a truss rod and they did not have the buzz everyone seems to note with the Journey(a flamenco player might really like the buzz). It seems to me the maker should have some response to the buzz. I know that in the past a representative of the company kept a close eye on this forum and was very good at responding to forum questions.

I'm not sure how I missed the Jones review--now when I go on the Journey site she arrives.... I also talked with Journey about the buzz and the response was pretty close to my guess--it all depends on the setup, the strings, and the player.

I'm still thinking about possible electronics. The guitar comes with a capable pickup, but it is possible to add active duel source capability. I like a single source pickup and I am not fond of mics in the box. Also, the active has the battery in a bag attached with Velcro in the sound hole--I'm not sure I'd like that. In short, I like having volume and eq control at the guitar but I like a single source and a built in battery box. Uncertainties....................

Last edited by Guest 928; 06-25-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

My experience with a journey steel string and buzzing may or may not be pertinent but I bet it is.
Once I’ve attached the neck and begin to tighten the mechanism if I turn it absolutely as far as it will go the action is , by far, way to low. If I am careful not to over tighten then the action is perfect with no buzz. The neck stability is in no way compromised by the amount of restraint needed to achieve this optimized action.

I’m willing to bet that the nylon version that shares the same mechanism exhibits the same tendency.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber