The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-31-2021, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I don’t agree the AER compact 60 is revolutionary. It sounds way better than Old Fender and Marshall « electric-like pseudo acoustic amps » but It barely evolved since it’s creation. If you look into it, it is just a cheap integrated circuit amplifier used by the car industry and a $50 dual cone speaker Italian made speaker. However it does sound great with guitar, and it is for sure in the top list of acoustic amps (none are revolutionary anyway).
https://sound-au.com/project169.htm

My favourite acoustic amps for guitar only would be HK era 1, Schertler Jam, Acus 8 and AER compact 60 with no specific order.

If you are really into AER, try the Udo Roesner Da Capo 75 or Michael Eisenmann’s HK era 1.

Both are recent designs from original AER people.
Perhaps I muddied my point a little-I meant in the early ‘90s when AER first came onto the scene, they seemed revolutionary in terms of being one of the earliest iterations of the trend of small, light amps which were far more convenient than the old Fender/Marshall/Trace amps, and also filled a room a lot better.

I remember, living in London in the late ‘90s/early 2000s, suddenly the little black and yellow AER soft cases seemed like they were in every working musician’s hallway…finally a gig-ready solution that could be slung from your shoulder and carried on public transport or walked to a gig. They certainly seemed to change the way things were done, and what was possible for a solo artist in the city.

At the time, they were some way out of the reach of my pocketbook, but they were something that was on my wanted list for a very long time.

Perhaps in terms of the core design they weren’t revolutionary examples of audio engineering, but they felt revolutionary in the field.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
in the early ‘90s when AER first came onto the scene, they seemed revolutionary in terms of being one of the earliest iterations of the trend of small, light amps which were far more convenient than the old Fender/Marshall/Trace amps, and also filled a room a lot better.
[...] They certainly seemed to change the way things were done, and what was possible for a solo artist in the city.
I agree with that for sure. I don't know if it is because they made piezo pickups like Schertler. But AER was really designed with the acoustic performer in mind and nothing else.

Probably Fender and Marshall had much more constraint in mind such as "traditional look", "electric guitar amp component/design" ...

However today there are much more amps on the market that were designed from scratch with the acoustic performer in mind.

If you play a Fishman Loudbox, a AER compact 60, a Acus 8, a Schertler JAM, a EAE D6.8 and a Genzler acoustic array next to each other, they would all sound good. Those amps are very different to what we had in the 90's.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 07-31-2021, 07:28 AM

The Elite Acoustics D6-(5)8 is my favorite amp even for just guitar. In addition to sounding wonderful, it has really good reverb, chorus, and delay which is is really fun.

Last edited by lkingston; 07-31-2021 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Hands down, Schertler. The only acoustic amp that stayed with me beyond a few months. I’ve owned my Jam 400 6-7 yrs now.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:05 AM

Anyone actually play one of the H&K Eras? The demos are quite impressive, to my ears... they seem to be a bit rarer (to find/buy) than the other offerings...
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 08-01-2021, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
Anyone actually play one of the H&K Eras? The demos are quite impressive, to my ears... they seem to be a bit rarer (to find/buy) than the other offerings...
I do acoustic guitar + vocals.
I tried the ERA-1. I found the sound boxy and small like it was coming
out of the cabinet. I much preferred my QSC K8.2, my yamaha DBR10,
and even the Bose S1.
I went so far as to set it up for a gig and ended up unplugging it and
never used it. I returned the ERA-1. I admit that I have not tried many
combo amps.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Just now chiming in as I gotta agree with Yamahaguy.

Yes I know the question is for Acoustic guitar am only.

I just never played one that sounds as good as a PA equipped with 15"woofers and 2" high freq drivers.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:32 PM

Ultrasound AG30.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Hmmmm…. Long ago it was a Gene-Benz Shenandoah ….. which when it was replaced with a LR Baggs Acoustic Reference amp ….. I’ve yet to be convinced by anything else since …… (;-))
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 08-16-2021, 11:52 PM

Rosette is expensive pro grade gear for Maestros like yourself. Lots of options and features. Made in USA you get what you pay for.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
What's your favorite amp for acoustic guitar only? Seems like every time this comes up, it seems to be more related to an amp to use with guitar and vocals.
Well, if I'm not singing then it's my Cube EX. It naturally sits at a wedge angle, but has a built in pole mount to use vertically. I've been using mine on a mini speaker stand.

Dual 8" drivers, matching dual 2" tweeters, lovely true stereo sound with built in reverb, chorus, and delay. Super light to carry and loud enough to do a good sized gig if need be.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:09 PM

[Now] LR Baggs Synapse. That it has phantom power (for my guitar channel to power my Para DI at the front end of my pedal board) is a real game changer for me. Worked like a dream with my Cole Clark FL1E-BM, and my Takamine P5DC so far. Can't wait to run the FGX5 and LLX16 through it.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Fender SFX
Agree. Have one these since 98. Right now I have a TWIN CITY DI that splits into 2 Amos. That and on top of it a NEW GENZLER ACOUSTIC ARRAY PRO.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:07 PM

Depending on the size of the room, my Vibrolux or Princeton.

Last edited by Pnewsom; 08-19-2021 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Haven't found one I like yet.

That said. I haven't tried some of the ones mentioned here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification