The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-02-2021, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Yikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleBluesMan View Post
It could be worse. Mike Bloomfield had to endure calls for "Season of the Witch," even though that was on the side of "Super Session" on which he didn't play!
Oh man. I feel better for the dude in the Mysterions now.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 08-03-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The Doobies alter a line in the song "Black Water" every night. In the line, "Mississippi moon won't you keep on shinin' on me," they substitute the name of the city they are in for "Mississippi." Hilariously, once when I saw them in my home town, Knoxville, TN. Amongst all the stops on the tour, Pat Simmons mistook Knoxville for Nashville, and the crowd was displeased. He corrected it the next time around and everyone was pleased.

Interestingly, I moved to Tidewater Virginia, where in 1974, their famed Doobieliner had burned to the ground at little Hampton Roads Regional Airfield while they were onstage in Norfolk. Every time I've seen them here I've expected for them to mention it.

Bob
While it's not generally understood, the Twin Cities of Minnesota think of themselves as very very different culturally. St. Paul has a hockey arena and some other venues favored by touring acts (and the larger city, Minneapolis was lacking in venues comparatively until more recently.) A common faux pas suffered by the touring acts playing St. Paul was for the front man to saunter up to the mic as the band was taking their places, and shout "All Right Minneapolis...Are You Ready To ROCK!!!" which would result in about a third of the audience booing.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-04-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Same kind of thing, though not a matter of forgetting...

Without getting too specific here, more than a few of my all-time favorite performers, IMHO, make it/made it a practice to re-write (and sort of butcher) their own super hits onstage:
- Paul McCartney
- Original Skynyrd
- Joe Walsh
- Led Zep

I guess megastars can do whatever they want with their own songs, but I often shake my head at intentional changes habitually made to live performances, when the original studio cut was... perfect.

Oh well, like I said, their songs.
I'm curious, what songs buy Paul McCartney do you feel he's butchered on stage?
Old 08-04-2021, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
I'm curious, what songs buy Paul McCartney do you feel he's butchered on stage?
True, the standard hit song volume fade-out into eternity is hard to replicate on stage when you need to end it somehow. But (again, IMHO) Maybe I'm Amazed didn't need a schmaltzy re-write to arrive at a clean dismount.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
True, the standard hit song volume fade-out into eternity is hard to replicate on stage when you need to end it somehow. But (again, IMHO) Maybe I'm Amazed didn't need a schmaltzy re-write to arrive at a clean dismount.
Thanks. I'll have to look that one up to see how he ended the song while playing live.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic