The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-03-2021, 01:47 AM

Default Ditty/Demo of my Partscaster 1956 Strat Replica Build

I finally finished up my partscaster 1956 Stratocaster replica so I got around to doing a little demo!!! I used my Winnie Thomas Princeton Reverb clone, and my Clark Beaufort 5E3 type. I was recording at low volume so I used a Mythical Overdrive on the Princeton and a Origin FX Revival Drive on the Clark. Nothing heavy just enough to get a suitable tone.

Parts....

Fender Eric Johnson Body (lightweight Alder body, nitro)
Fender Classic 50's Neck (7.25 radius, med C/soft V, nitro)
EP Customs vintage style pickups
Eric Johnson Fender Tremolo system
Fender Pure Vintage Hardware and Plastics
Kluson MC6LN Tuners (made in Japan)
Eric Johnson Style Harness by SmokeyB

This is the first Stratocaster that I have set up with a floating tremolo, so it took me a while to learn the fine points of dialing one in.

I also had to address some fret sprout before I really wanted to play it! The Utah dryness sucks for guitar necks!!!

I've never been a Stratocaster kind of person, but the Jaguar that I recently built up got me to wondering about how the tremolos would compare.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 08-03-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Hi Daniel!

What a very cool project and what a great sound! I really enjoyed your "Strat's Got My Tongue" piece! Your playing and the guitar both sound awesome. Those amps sound great, too!

Really well done!

- Glenn
Old 08-03-2021, 12:49 PM

Thanks for checking it out Glenn, this was a fun one to record. It took me a bit to get through the first lick, as it was a tricky dexterity wise And I've been using Amplitube amp simulation plug-ins of most of my recordings lately, so getting back to using real amps took a little bit of adjustment!
Old 08-03-2021, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Hi Daniel,

I have mostly recorded with amp simulation plug-ins, too, because they are so convenient and have the benefit that you can tweak amp tones after recording.

But for the last few weeks I have been working on some old jazz tunes, lately, for example, Gershwin's "Someone to Watch Over Me" as one of the tunes, and I have been using my old Fender Blues Deville. (You probably know that this is essentially a Fender Bassman with an added preamp tube. My Deville is a 4x10 from the first generation of these BluesDeVille amps with the Jensen Alnico speakers.) I modified this amp recently to change out one of the 12AX7 tubes to put in a 12AY7 preamp tube with lower gain so that I have a little better control over the volume from this thing, because it was SO LOUD! (I am still waiting for a 12AT7 tube I ordered for a different stage.)

Well, the 12AY7 tube has helped so that I am really enjoying playing in my studio with this old amp and my Eastman archtop. I have become convinced that I am going to record this song using the real amp and some microphones. We'll see how that works out.

It's pretty hard to get a simulated amp to respond the same way a real amp does in a room. They are getting closer and closer, but somehow I don't think the simulations are quite there yet.

- Glenn
Old 08-03-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Daniel,

I have mostly recorded with amp simulation plug-ins, too, because they are so convenient and have the benefit that you can tweak amp tones after recording.

But for the last few weeks I have been working on some old jazz tunes, lately, for example, Gershwin's "Someone to Watch Over Me" as one of the tunes, and I have been using my old Fender Blues Deville. (You probably know that this is essentially a Fender Bassman with an added preamp tube. My Deville is a 4x10 from the first generation of these BluesDeVille amps with the Jensen Alnico speakers.) I modified this amp recently to change out one of the 12AX7 tubes to put in a 12AY7 preamp tube with lower gain so that I have a little better control over the volume from this thing, because it was SO LOUD! (I am still waiting for a 12AT7 tube I ordered for a different stage.)

Well, the 12AY7 tube has helped so that I am really enjoying playing in my studio with this old amp and my Eastman archtop. I have become convinced that I am going to record this song using the real amp and some microphones. We'll see how that works out.

It's pretty hard to get a simulated amp to respond the same way a real amp does in a room. They are getting closer and closer, but somehow I don't think the simulations are quite there yet.

- Glenn
Yes there is a certain give and take with a real amplifier that is hard to duplicate. There is a certain magic you get in a recording when capturing a real amp doing what it does best!

But, I have one amp simulation that I love, which is from the Amplitube Fender 2 collection (the Custom Tweed Pro), and when I use that along with their '63 Reverb tank plug-in, I get ridiculously real amp tone and feel. And as you say, you can tweak after the fact.

We live in a good time to record at home

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell