The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-09-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
Highlander and Wavelength are on par IMO and the best UST I tried, less quack than anything else I installed. 18 V preamp on the Wavelength gives more headroom which is nice and audible when hitting hard.
Thanks! Did you find the Wavelength to sound fatter or warmer than a standard UST? I have heard it explained that way. I am tempted to give it a try.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Pickups:
Fishman Matrix UST
K&K Fantastik
Schertler Bluestick
Dimarzio Sounhole w/volume control
Fishman BlackStack
Fishman Rare Earth Blend
Miniflex 2Mic
LR Baggs Element
DTAR Multisource
DTAR Wavelength
K&K Pure Western
K&K Pure Mini
K&K Trinity
K&K PowerMix
K&K Dual Sourced with LR Baggs Element
LR Baggs I-Beam
LR Baggs Lyric
Trance Audio Amulet M 9V
Trance Audio Amulet M phantom

Preamps:
LR Baggs Gigpro
LR Baggs PADI
ART Tube Pre
Fishman Aura
DTAR Equinox
DTAR Mama Bear
DTAR Solstice
Radial PZ Deluxe
Fire Eye Red Eye
Fire Eye DeeEye
Mesa Boogie Rosette DI
K&K Pure Preamp
K&K Pure XLR Preamp
Ultrasound DI Max
Orchid Muting DI

I feel like I missed some.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 08-10-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Thanks! Did you find the Wavelength to sound fatter or warmer than a standard UST? I have heard it explained that way. I am tempted to give it a try.
Absolutely ! Fatter, warmer, less quack,, closer to the natural sound of the particular guitar (I installed it in various guitars from parlor to boomy dread to maple to all hog to Lowden).

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 08-11-2021, 07:22 AM

K&K mostly (guitars, mando's, banjos), LR Baggs in Lowdens, Takamine & Taylor's own.

Headway ED preamps
Grace Felix
ToneDexter
Old 08-11-2021, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I see there are other folks with long lists like mine. I guess I just wanted to know that I alone wasn’t the only one keeping the acoustic amplification industry afloat. The whole process of buying and selling was quite the hobby for me really. I never let my gear pile up to wear things weren’t being used. The AG classifieds here was very helpful over the years along with a little help from Craigslist and Reverb.

Someone also mentioned the multiple times they have purchased the same product. That’s true. I have had multiple installs of the same pickup many times as well as selling off a preamp and eventually buying the same one again because I thought I needed it again. It’s all slowing down now, so much so I have to actually start playing guitar more.

Ha, ha, ha, ha. Amen !

(It's refreshing in a way to know I'm not the only crazy)
Old 08-11-2021, 11:14 AM

I have three guitars with martin thinline gold plus.
They also have akg gooseneck microphones
these feed Pendulum SPS 1's and then Fender Princeton Reverbs.
I have Two Pendulum SPS's (Maryland, USA and London UK) and Three Princeton Reverbs. (Maryland, USA, Los Angeles, USA, and London UK)
I need a third Pendulum box.
Flying with two guitars is already a challenge............

I sometimes use the XLR outs from the Pendulum and mix those with a mic
in front of the Princeton.

I am curious about the possible improvements in the bridge pickups.

I have been using this system for more than ten years now. I only use my fingers. I play so quietly when the system is not powered up. I have come to love the sound and the tone this creates in conjunction with my two main guitars - one Martin - one Lowden.

Be well

- Jack
Old 08-11-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Absolutely ! Fatter, warmer, less quack,, closer to the natural sound of the particular guitar (I installed it in various guitars from parlor to boomy dread to maple to all hog to Lowden).
Awesome, thanks! I am at the point in my pickup journey where I realize that for most venues I play (300-600) people and the types of music that I play, a UST and something like the Aura, Tonedexter or Voiceprint is probably my best bet. I just haven’t found a UST that doesn’t sound thin and brittle so the Wavelength intrigues me. I was just able to pick up a used one (mint and never actually installed) for $100 so I will give it a try. I realize that there’s a lot of chatter about the Element changing the unplugged tone of the guitar but my Taylor is primarily my gigging guitar so I am not as worried about that.

The nice thing is, I also have a second Jack on this guitar so I will most likely be re-installing the Trance Amulet or trying out the Dazzo. That way I could use a SBT for more intimate shows or shows where I don’t want to bring a pedalboard and still get a natural tone.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Awesome, thanks! I am at the point in my pickup journey where I realize that for most venues I play (300-600) people and the types of music that I play, a UST and something like the Aura, Tonedexter or Voiceprint is probably my best bet. I just haven’t found a UST that doesn’t sound thin and brittle so the Wavelength intrigues me. I was just able to pick up a used one (mint and never actually installed) for $100 so I will give it a try. I realize that there’s a lot of chatter about the Element changing the unplugged tone of the guitar but my Taylor is primarily my gigging guitar so I am not as worried about that.

The nice thing is, I also have a second Jack on this guitar so I will most likely be re-installing the Trance Amulet or trying out the Dazzo. That way I could use a SBT for more intimate shows or shows where I don’t want to bring a pedalboard and still get a natural tone.
Sounds like a fine plan ! Let us know how it worked for you once you played some shows with the Wavelength.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 08-12-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a fine plan ! Let us know how it worked for you once you played some shows with the Wavelength.
I will for sure. Wavelength should be here by Monday and I already have the Dazzo so might just do a day of installing them.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Pickups:
Fred
Ethel

Preamps:
Lucy
Ricky
Beat me to it James!
Old 09-12-2021, 12:00 PM

Just an update on my Dtar Wavelength installation. I did the installation yesterday, which was very easy. I had the Matrix in there already and found the action to be very similar so it was just a matter of installing the endpin jack preamp and positioning the Element in the saddle. I found the Wavelength new on Kijiji so I got a great price. It doesn't have the volume/tone controls but I could always add that later. I didn't play with the treble/bass controls on the preamp but I might down the road.

In terms of tone, I definitely need to use it more, but I did a quick test through my QSC CP8 (straight in) and results were good. I will admit that I was a bit shocked at how much of that Element/piezo tone I was hearing right away, even with light finger picking. I know it's a UST, but I guess I was expecting to only really hear that when I dig in. I guess it's just the characteristic tone of that pickup.

There is definitely a better feel to this UST than any I have tried before. It also seems to pick up body tones nicely, but more on that later. I wouldn't say it necessarily sounds fatter than other UST pickups, but there is a nice roundness to the tone. In comparison, the Matrix is a bit harsh and thin on the G, B & E strings. The Wavelength is warmer and just has a more pleasing tone. Really, the only downside is that high end sheen that the Element is known for.

Now I do have some issues. First, there's so much Element piezo (length wise), that I really wasn't sure what to do with it. I have a few clamps in the guitar from previous pickups so I put some of it there, but I think now it's picking up a bit of the body. Also, for some strange reason and I had this with the Matrix as well; my guitar is sounding boomy when I hit the low E and I am getting some feedback. I might try shaving the saddle a bit to make sure it's flat as I know the saddle slot is fine. It could be that the hole for the UST is a bit too large so I might try putting something in there to keep the UST from moving. I do find it hard to know if the Element is seated properly though.. it's a bit tricky.

Now I know UST pickups are not the big thing anymore, but my hope with this is that I can get a nice, round and warm base tone that I can then use with IR's.

Last edited by Petty1818; 09-12-2021 at 12:08 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification