The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-22-2018, 12:24 PM

Default [Deleted Thread]

[Deleted Thread]

Last edited by Guest 4711; 12-24-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:32 PM

Cordoba's commonly found, and offers many nylon types: large. small, crossover, etc. A large store will likely have a decent selection of whatever brands. Just dive in and grab one that you like.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:59 PM

I definitely wouldn't say Taylor is the go-to for classical or nylon guitars (to me they are pretty much interchangeable, but someone may point out if that's incorrect) .. although, they do have some really nice nylon stringed guitars. The offerings you'll see from Taylor are going to be considered crossovers -- they have nylon strings, but retain some features of a regular steel string guitar: somewhat smaller nut/neck width, radius fretboard instead of flat, string spacing, etc. this is the route I plan to go, because I don't want to have to adapt to the hugely different traditional classical.

SO, in summary, yes, Taylor has some nice "-N" nylon models, but I think Cordoba and other classical builders would be considered the top of that category, before Taylor would.

Hope this helps
Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 06-22-2018, 06:32 PM

The classic classical guitar differs from the flamenco guitar which differs from crossover guitars, with all bearing nylon strings of which there is plentiful variety. Any of the above can be found with built-in electronics, almost all of which can sound terrific. Cordoba and Yamaha are two of the most common brands that produce great guitars in all of the genres. I moved from steel-stringers to a nylon crossover with ease, and once I got used to the somewhat wider neck of the crossover, found that classical guitars with even wider necks can be played well even with my average-sized hands and fingers. I wouldn't be without my acoustic steel-stringer, my nylon string crossover, or my favourite electric guitars. Enjoy the journey.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:21 PM

Currently I am playing about 50% nylon and 50% steel. I play a Hill classical. Excellent guitar offered in a wide range of prices and scale sizes. Excellent quality and readily available. I also like LaPatrie guitars from Godin. I had a Presentation model which I passed on to my grandson. Cordoba and Yamaha are good quality. Taylor makes a great steel string but to me the nylons are lacking, especially when unamplified.

Jon
Old 06-22-2018, 10:10 PM

You may already knew about another Thread here "Classical". Discussions related to classical and nylon-string guitars. Lots of answers for your questions
Old 06-22-2018, 11:10 PM

Nylon string guitars really have a different sound and feel. I was looking at some Cordoba ones for quite a bit. The Fusion line is a cross over, with a bit of a radius on the fretboard and slightly narrower neck. I was also looking at some of their GK line. Even the C7, if I could find one with a pickup. I like the jazzy sounds you can get with a nylon string and amps. Lots of fun. I ended up getting a Yamaha "Silent Guitar", the SLG 200N.

Here is a Guitarist Review of it and the steel version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuXIwsNmY6o

Here is the older model ,without the pickup/Mic blend feature, played someone who knows a thing or two about playing jazzy tunes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goDVD_ffKGg
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 06-23-2018, 12:02 AM

All I play is a classical guitar. It's equipped with electronics and a cutaway, which described my steel string guitars when I played them. Like any other guitar, there are many makes/models out there to be sampled.

The one I have is a Yamaha CG110CE, made in 96. It's been discontinued. More recently, I bought a Yamaha NTX1200R cross-over nylon string guitar I thought was a decent player (after I put a wider nut on it) and a great transition guitar from steel to nylon string. But, it sounded its best plugged, which it was primarily designed for.

I can't (don't/won't) steer anyone towards a particular guitar because that's a personal thing to be decided upon by sampling the market. I have to agree that the sound of nylon strings is different and for some of us, the preferred sound.

Regarding Taylor, no, I would not peg them as a go-to brand for classical / nylon string. They have a cross-over that's okay but otherwise I would look elsewhere.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:38 AM

Default Spain is where the best classical guitars are made!

José Ramirez is one of the best classical guitar makers!! Spent and afternoon with Enrique and Cristina Ramirez at NAMM 2018. They are the just great young luthiers who carry the family tradition of over 130 years along with their aunt Amelia daughter of José Ramirez III. They have a entry level line for the American market!

All the best!
Old 06-23-2018, 06:20 AM

I did a great deal of comparison shopping/playing before making the purchase. My instructor was taking me into "classical/Latin rhythm" world and I wanted something to go along. Being used to the neck dimensions of Martin/Yamaha etc I went with a nylon "crossover" profile from Cordoba ( pronounced "core-da-bah") according to the factory guy. It has a 1 3/4" neck,( not the traditional 2" flat neck), cutaway body, built in p/u/mic system, OM size body, truss rod in neck, real nice finish on the frets and body. It is the Cordoba Fusion 12 (12 fret) in maple body. There are many nylon crossovers offered but in the 500-1000 price range I believe, after trying many that Cordoba and Yamaha offer some of the best built guitars. Yes, you can spend a ton on a handbuilt but thats not what I was looking for. If you play plugged in a lot the Yamaha has great amped tone by very tinny unplugged. The Cordoba's with a deeper body has great un-plugged tone and pretty decent plugged in too. I have become very intrigued with the Latin samba/Bossa Nova rhythms and classical songs, very nice to play solo. The rhythms are difficult to get down, takes a lot of practice but are great fun and technically challenging. Check the Cordoba line, may be something you like there.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:42 AM

Does Yamaha make a crossover nylon string guitar with a 1 3/4" nut?
Why do classical guitars have such wide necks? It's hard to wrap my thumb over the low E - impossible for my thumb to reach the A string.
I lived in Southern Spain ages ago, and I saw amazing guitarists strumming Flamenco on their front steps. What makes a Flamenco guitar different from a classical?
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:52 AM

It's hard to wrap my thumb over the low E -[/QUOTE]

I don't think U supposed to do that with classical guitar!
Old 06-23-2018, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

This Cordone GK Studio Negra deal is an absolute steal. Alto is selling these B-stocks for $399 (normally $699). I grabbed one about a month ago. The box said it was a b-stock because the bridge was chipped. I've run my eyes and fingers over that bridge a dozen times and I can't find even a tiny chip.

https://reverb.com/item/11484741-cordoba-gk-studio-negra-nylon-string-acoustic-electric-guitar-in-natural-finish
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-23-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
Why do classical guitars have such wide necks? It's hard to wrap my thumb over the low E - impossible for my thumb to reach the A string.
I lived in Southern Spain ages ago, and I saw amazing guitarists strumming Flamenco on their front steps. What makes a Flamenco guitar different from a classical?
Answers, to the best of my knowledge, in order...Yes they do, more space between strings, easier to fret complicated pieces, bad form...you will never see a "classical musician do that, I really dont know, may be subtle difference in neck dimensions/string spacing or just the discipline itself. Like the questions you see asked here: "Can I play "fingerstyle" on my FG730"?...well, yes, why not?
Old 06-23-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
Usually built lighter than a classical which results in less sustain so the notes get out of the way for the next one. The action is set lower as some string buzz is part of the sound. Has a protective 'pick guard' on both sides of the sound hole to protect the top from getting beat up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical