The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Dang it - one more note:

Fingerboards can also be dried out as they've not been oiled. A drop of lemon oil between each fret, gently rubbed into the wood, is recommended. There are some fancy oils you can buy, but it all comes down to the same stuff anyway.

Once again, dry fingerboard exhibit increased relief on spanish guitars. Perhaps on others guitar types as well, but I've not seen it as much. The nylon strung guitar is in a more delicate balance, as it's dealing with much lower tensions.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:55 PM

Cool String Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_C View Post
Fingerboards can also be dried out as they've not been oiled. A drop of lemon oil between each fret, gently rubbed into the wood, is recommended. There are some fancy oils you can buy, but it all comes down to the same stuff anyway.
I agree with much of what you say, that a dried out fretboard can affect the action of a guitar. However, I don't feel that lemon oil is good for the fretboard. It contains d-limonene, a "natural" cleaner found in citrus rinds, that can dissolve glue, and if allowed to penetrate the wood, will cause the fretboard (along with bindings) to separate from the neck. Naphtha or alcohol is often recommended for cleaning a fretboard, as it evaporates quickly and does not damage the wood. Then, the wood (if dried out) should be properly humidified. Once that process has been completed, it can be followed up with a very light application of mineral oil, which should be wiped off so it does not penetrate the wood. It forms a protective "shield" against dust & dirt, as well as body oils and sweat, while retaining the natural moisture of the wood, and gives the fretboard a very nice look.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical