The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-21-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bords View Post
You could substitute a bunch of words for Olson in your comment and be accurate (Tonerite, Dumble, Klon, Somogyi, [any relatively high priced gear])

My 6 year old said to me last night "Daddy when you're grown up, you can do whatever you want, right"? Not quite, but on the internet you can type anything you want.
I'm a down to earth type of guy and I'm guilty of making jokes about the ToneRite and pretty much any "spacey" concept, such as Feng Shui, French wines, chocolates made with Dom Perignon, CNC machines, and many others.

Most of the time, I vote for the most realistic scenario...
Old 08-13-2013, 12:01 PM

http://vimeo.com/58733511

That would be my dread
Old 08-13-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteom View Post
I hear those mass produced Olsons don't sound as good as the earlier ones. Do you have any sound samples?
Mass produced? Not quite.

His latest guitars are his best. His means of production are efficient and logical....but make no mistake about it.. he meticulously crafts each one and seduces the very most he can get out of the well put together materials....few guitars touch their sound... but there lots of great guitars.

Last edited by kscobie8; 08-13-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 08-22-2013, 04:53 PM

And here for your listening pleasure...is me, the song I wrote, and Olson Brazilian SJ #1350

http://youtu.be/iCIsVsZQonk

Last edited by cpabolting; 08-23-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:09 AM

I am sure it isn't the best fingerpicking you have seen, but it I am mostly a strummer and flatpicker!

http://youtu.be/iCIsVsZQonk
Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 AM

That's one beautiful sounding guitar, for sure. Nice song too, but kind of sad.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
That's one beautiful sounding guitar, for sure. Nice song too, but kind of sad.
Well yes... but I wrote it when I was not feeling well about a relationship... but that is actually fine now.... my wife hates the song LOL
Old 08-23-2013, 11:26 AM

Great sounding guitar! and your picking sounds pretty good to me.

As for Jim and his guitars, a lot of people like to hate on his success and the fact that he now uses CNC but it still takes skill to add CNC to your guitars it's just a different kind of skill. Anything that improves the final product is good IMO and there is no doubt creating consistency in the mundane parts improves fit and finish as well as playability. I really don't see any difference between using CNC and using really well designed jigs and fixtures in conjunction with powered hand tools. The heart and soul still needs to be added by hand and that's what really matters.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 AM

wow, very nice sounding guitar, song and singing. Great work.

Kevin.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post
wow, very nice sounding guitar, song and singing. Great work.

Kevin.
Thanks... I am very pleased with the song, the video and the recording. I sound better than I thought I did LOL
Old 08-23-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
Great sounding guitar! and your picking sounds pretty good to me.

As for Jim and his guitars, a lot of people like to hate on his success and the fact that he now uses CNC but it still takes skill to add CNC to your guitars it's just a different kind of skill. Anything that improves the final product is good IMO and there is no doubt creating consistency in the mundane parts improves fit and finish as well as playability. I really don't see any difference between using CNC and using really well designed jigs and fixtures in conjunction with powered hand tools. The heart and soul still needs to be added by hand and that's what really matters.
Anyone who talks smack about a CNC is just talking smack.... cutting out a top and rough cutting as you say mundane parts is simply efficient... Jim goes to great strides to seduce his materials to get the very best with his hands...not a machine and he is not just experienced, he is talented and gifted by God's own grace...

He builds wonderful instruments and is an extraordinary human being
Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 PM

Honestly, most people who understand Jim Olson's production, he is incredibly hard working and works from morning to night for 6-8 months building...every single one is meticulously crafted and voiced... not by accident he is one of the most sought after builders today.

Last edited by kscobie8; 08-24-2013 at 05:33 AM. Reason: don't feed the troll
Old 08-24-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I really don't see any difference between using CNC and using really well designed jigs and fixtures in conjunction with powered hand tools. The heart and soul still needs to be added by hand and that's what really matters.
Amen, Harv. Nice playing on this newly posted song. I very much look forward to trying an Olson some day.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 08-24-2013, 07:00 AM

Beautiful sounding guitar, a very thoughtful and touching lyric Keith, delivered with feeling. I also loved the Daniel B Marshall piece. I would love to have the opportunity to play an Olson and perhaps commission a build one day.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpick View Post
Beautiful sounding guitar, a very thoughtful and touching lyric Keith, delivered with feeling. I also loved the Daniel B Marshall piece. I would love to have the opportunity to play an Olson and perhaps commission a build one day.
Well if you ever get to Tampa, Florida, hit me up. I can put a few in your hands to test drive. Yes Daniel B Marshall is exceptional.... check him out on http://www.danielbmarshall.com He is the best in Tampa, Florida hands down.

Here is a recording studio shot of the song I wrote with Daniel as we were recording it in nashville.... keep in mind this is shot from my phone in the booth so you hear chatter and the engineer working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ZYdzkc30A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop