The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-25-2010, 07:10 PM

Default Any Ovation nylon string players out there?

If so, I'm about to join you! I've been on the quest, as many here have, of finding a good nylon string crossover. I've been through Taylor, Takamine, and Godin, and now it's Ovation's turn.

I have to say I do like Ovations in general, and the specs for the 2073lx fit my preferences: 12 frets to the neck, cutaway, 1 7/8" nut width. I also used to jam with a guy who had an Ovation classic some years ago and I was favorably impressed.

There's an approval period on this guitar, just in case, but I'm hoping this one will fit the bill. I know Ovations aren't too popular round these parts but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else likes them.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 AM

had a 1111 cedar top classical for a long time...bulletproof with a fine clear sound...sorry I sold it
Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 AM

I have always had a fondness for the Ovation Adamas & the Ovation Country Artist. As long as you like it, that is all that really matters. Enjoy your new purchase. IF you can, post a pic of an example of your Ovation Crossover. I am not too familiar with that one.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
I have always had a fondness for the Ovation Adamas & the Ovation Country Artist. As long as you like it, that is all that really matters. Enjoy your new purchase. IF you can, post a pic of an example of your Ovation Crossover. I am not too familiar with that one.
I did succeed in posting a pic on the forum ... once! And the whole convoluted process has since been lost within the darkest recesses of my subconscious!

I actually had a used Ovation Country Artist at one point in my search for a crossover, and I liked it a lot. It does have 14 frets to the body, though, which, although not a complete deal breaker on a nylon string for me, is not my ideal.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:43 AM

I checked out your model on the Ovation website. That looks like an excellent stage guitar. Playability and plugged in tone should be great. I am impressed with the features and the contoured back.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:22 AM

I had an Ovation Classical back in the '70s, not sure of the model. I traded it on a Les Paul. Don't know what ever happened to the LP, but I remember letting go of that Ovation. Big mistake.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:08 PM

I like Ovation nylons enough that I had a custom model made from Redwood. They're the best all-around nylons I've found in their price range. Enjoy!

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 07-28-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
I like Ovation nylons enough that I had a custom model made from Redwood. They're the best all-around nylons I've found in their price range. Enjoy!
Great! Is it a deep or mid-bowl?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
I remember that beauty. One of the nicest Ovations I have ever seen.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 AM

The first nylon crossover I ever played was an Ovation, and it may have been the only such guitar available at the time. It was a sweet guitar as I recall, and I was tempted to buy it but didn't have the money. I haven't seen any Ovation nylons in years, though. GC still carries the Ovation brand, but they seem to have only the low-end steel string models.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmusic View Post
The first nylon crossover I ever played was an Ovation, and it may have been the only such guitar available at the time. It was a sweet guitar as I recall, and I was tempted to buy it but didn't have the money. I haven't seen any Ovation nylons in years, though. GC still carries the Ovation brand, but they seem to have only the low-end steel string models.
That strategy of GCs has been a bit frustrating for me. You're absolutely right - the Ovations stocked by GC and Sam Ash seem always to be nothing higher in grade than the cheaper Elites. They must know that they're doing, but I still suspect that if more folks had a chance to get their hands on the Adamases, Custom Legends and Elites, and the higher quality nylon stringed models, Ovation might make a respectable impression, at the very least, against the inevitable Taylors, Martins and Gibsons.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Great! Is it a deep or mid-bowl?
Sorry, I missed your question way back when, so at the risk of zombifying a thread ....

It's a deep bowl, non-cutaway, 12-fret. And it's the best sounding Ovation nylon I've played of more than a few.

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 08-04-2010, 11:22 PM

Wow, that's gorgeous, Patch.

Well, mine's due for delivery on Friday. I hope it sounds half as good as yours looks!
Old 08-05-2010, 03:48 PM

I have a 1614 that I bought somewhere in the late 1970's or early 1980's.

I first heard an Ovation at a Jessie Colin Young (minus the Youngbloods) concert when I was in college in 1975. The whole notion of an amplified acoustic without having to stand right in front of a mic was totally new technology at that point. I saved my pennies until I could buy a 1600 series Balladeer. The nylon string came later.

The build quality and the tops on both my ovations are top notch, but my tastes have changed and now I do not care as much for the fiberglass and wood combo like I used to. My current guitars with newer electronics sound far better amplified, but there is a vintage sound to the Ac/El Ovation sound.

The nylon Ovation has given way to a Tak with a "Cool Tube" preamp and it looks and sounds better to me.

I am going to part with the Ovation after all this time, so if anyone is so inclined, PM me and I will give you the details.

Collings CJ-Rosewood/Sitka Sunburst
Martin 000-18 12-Fret Custom Shop
Martin OM-John Mayer
Larrievee LV10 Koa Custom
Martin D-18V
Martin D28-12
Gibson ES-369
Gretsch--6120 Tiger Maple
Eastman 805CE Archtop
Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Fever View Post
The nylon Ovation has given way to a Tak with a "Cool Tube" preamp and it looks and sounds better to me.
I had high hopes of Takamine's flagship crossover, the TC135SC with cool tube, and bought one around a year ago. But for me, although it was louder than the Taylor NS series acoustcally, I found that its sound was kind of harsh, without any of the sweetness I look for in a nylon string. Also, it has gone the way of many crossovers, unfortunately for me, in that it has 14 frets to the body. That guitar ended up ebay-bound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical