The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-08-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoehler1 View Post
Thanks for the answers Ned. I checked out a few videos of your guitars on YouTube and they really do sound special. I love the Spanish sound they have.

Can you tell me what you mean by the guitar having an asymmetrically dropped top?

Also, have ever made a classical guitar with a cutaway? Or better yet a demi cutaway?

Last what about arm rests. Do you think keeping the arm off the soundboard makes a noticeable difference? Is this something you offer.

Thanks and sorry to keep peppering you with questions.

TK
An elevated fingerboard can only be made when the guitar soundboard face is lower than traditional. So the top needs to be "dropped". It can be angled fully (as in Thomas Humphrey's lattice style guitar), but this puts the string pull on the bridge at a different angle and changes the mechanics of the soundboard to a degree. Another way to achieve a dropped top is to fold the soundboard as it crosses the 1st harmonic bar, so the main diaphragm of the soundboard doesn't change geometry at all. I choose the folded top method, but since my 1st harmonic bar is angled, I use this to my advantage to create less of a fold on the bass side and more of a fold on the treble, creating even greater wrist access (gain of about 4 to 5mm) because the top is dropped further approaching the treble side edge of the upper bout. There are other beneficial effects, too. Stiffer treble side, looser bass, balanced output of harmonic content.

No cutaway's yet... Sometime, but I'd prefer to keep a "classical" without a cutaway. It would have to be called a "crossover" or "modern nylon string". Semantics! I've thought about a 14 fret to body Evo style nylon string...

I first met Grit Laskin in Toronto, I believe (long time ago - memory fades), but also attended a workshop given by him at ASIA 1997. I have great respect for his skill and work ethic. His inlay is second to none! Anyhow, he created the "Laskin armrest" that he simply asked to have other builders give credit to him when including this feature. With that as a preamble, I indeed wish to include a Laskin inspired armrest into guitars in the future. If done thoughtfully, this feature will not alter tone to a great extent, if at all noticeable.

And yes, by all means. If a guitar is an "active" guitar, then the forearm on the soundboard can definitely dampen tone audibly, as can one's belly on the back of a guitar built with an active back.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 06-13-2016, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the informative answers Ned - I had to read the first paragraph twice to get it. You learn something everyday. mmm no cutaway.... well maybe you'll change your mind down the road. Keep up the great work! (And post a few pics )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical