The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-25-2010, 11:36 AM

Flamenco is like 12-Bar Blues, or Bluegrass. Each genre comes from a tradition; and each has its own history and cachet.

Flamenco, however, is much more complex, having its foundation from many different cultures - The court music of Europe, Indian Classical music, Middle Eastern music, which, in turn, have their histories. It is, however performed on the guitar, so it uses the diatonic scales...

If you want to technically how it works, the Compas Analysis and Music Theory for Flamenco on my website is my take on it; I do have a multimedia course that is somewhat dated, but was my best shot at the time (late 70's), given my circumstances and the technology available to me. But with the advent of YouTube, etc., there is so much more information available...

The good news is that the tools of music production are in the hands of the worker. The bad news is that the tools of music production are in the hands of the worker....

But to even speak of Flamenco, you have to at least be able to do "dobles" palmas to Bulerias and and mark Solea compas - i.e., AT LEAST be able to accompany (someone else's attempt at) Flamenco like a Gypsy street kid. Once you understand how to perform this most basic instrument to Flamenco you will begin have a basic understanding of what is/is not Flamenco, as used by people who are involved in the actual art form (and it does still exist - you just have to be careful what you're looking for).

I GOTTA get out of this thread NOW.....

Ciao,

Chuck

Last edited by BuleriaChk; 12-25-2010 at 11:42 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical