The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2022, 08:07 AM

Default What did you just buy for your guitar?

I like reading about gear others are buying. It helps me learn about popular products, what's working and what isn't, etc.

OK, so, it doesn't have to be specifically for a guitar but could be music related...

So what music related gear did you just buy?
What made you buy that particular item?
Is it meeting your expectation?
Did you get a good deal?
Old 01-19-2022, 08:11 AM

A Christmas card!
Old 01-19-2022, 08:13 AM

D&A Active Starfish Stand

Bought it after starting a thread about guitar stands on here! Loads of good recommendations but plumped for this one due to it's 5 legs. Difficult to source in UK and although it was a lot more expensive to buy here than over in the States, I still think I did OK (£55). Haven't used it yet as I work away from home and won't be back for another week or so but it's there waiting for me to try out.

Forgot about this also

Last edited by Rammer; 01-19-2022 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:21 AM

Two 6-packs (12 sets) of Darco (by Martin) phosphor bronze strings, via Musician's Friend's SDOTD; I couldn't resist the temptation of strings for $2/set.

Fortunately I'm liking the strings, because I'll be using them for the next few years!

Compared to "regular" Martin strings, they are warmer and sound more broken-in straight from the package, and less crisp or bright, with a nice, meaty bass and fulsome midrange. The wound strings might be a little bit slinkier than Martins, leading me to think that the core might be thinner, but I'm not completely certain.

How long they last vs. Martin strings remains to be seen, but for just $2/set I am not terribly concerned about longevity.

MF appears to have Darco strings (PB & 80/20) on clearance for the same low price I paid, so it might be worth stocking up now.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/sear...alse&Ntt=darco
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 01-19-2022, 08:24 AM

A blue chip TP48 pick.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:25 AM

About the only thing I buy music-related anymore are strings. I'm constantly experimenting with different brands and gauges. My recent set of Santa Cruz Mid Tensions might've put the brakes on this since they seem to be about the perfect set for me, but I'm sure the endeavor will begin anew at some point.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:32 AM

On the weekend, I bought a new set of tuners for my CEO-7 and another two Ultimate Support guitar stands. The CEO-7 is a lovely guitar but comes with the junky golden age tuners. After some threads here and on the UMGF, I bought a set of Gotoh SE-700's - screw holes line up 100%, bushings are the correct size, etc. Great upgrade for minimal $. And two more stands because I'm tired of taking guitars off them when I want to take them to play with my band. I love guitar gear shopping.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:34 AM

Waverly high ratio tuners, bone saddle and bridge pins for my new J-45 Standard. Worked exactly as I had hoped.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
Two 6-packs (12 sets) of Darco (by Martin) phosphor bronze strings, via Musician's Friend's SDOTD; I couldn't resist the temptation of strings for $2/set.

Fortunately I'm liking the strings, because I'll be using them for the next few years!

Compared to "regular" Martin strings, they are warmer and sound more broken-in straight from the package, and less crisp or bright, with a nice, meaty bass and fulsome midrange. ....
Me, too, but i don't like them, at least on the Guild D55. Probably keep them around for emergencies, may offer them to friends at our next folk society get together. OTOH, I generally like the sound of new strings, at least the EJ16s I've been using for years and the DR Sunbeams I've been using lately. Also just bought several packs of DR Sunbeams and 2 DR Veritas (first time for them)>
Guitar related, bought a mat and neck support for use on my workbench when changing strings of doing some other maintenance.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Humidipaks! 6 inches of snow this Friday.....ugh....

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 01-19-2022, 08:44 AM

A new hydrometer. Supposed to be more accurate than the one I have now.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
My recent set of Santa Cruz Mid Tensions might've put the brakes on this since they seem to be about the perfect set for me, but I'm sure the endeavor will begin anew at some point.
Think the Low Tensions will be my next purchase!
Old 01-19-2022, 08:51 AM

a couple of oasis humidifiers, a few sets of XT and martin auth strings and a nomad neck cradle (need to change strings on 5 guitars this week), oh and I bought a new Guild D55
Old 01-19-2022, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I just ordered a couple more Red Bear Picks. A Medium C and a Heavy C.

I ordered some a couple of years ago, and that Medium C became my favorite pick. Don't remember exactly why I ordered that one in the first place, but it's also the pick that converted me from tear drops to triangles. So I have a couple of Red Bear Classics sitting around that don't get played much... thought I'd get a couple more of the model that I actually use.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-19-2022, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

A used LR Baggs M80 pickup and John Pearse Pure Nickel Strings.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion