The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2021, 02:13 PM

Default Chasing this guitar tone

I’m not very good at describing guitar tones. “Dry, woody” etc. leaves me flummoxed - I’d love a good explanation for what terms like that actually mean. What I do know is that this recording with an OM21 I had briefly is my favourite guitar tone of anything I have recorded. Playing ability aside, I know this fast fingerpicking is not to everyone’s taste - this is the one time I feel I have achieved a beautiful guitar tone.

My question is what guitars would offer a tone similar to this and how would you describe this tone? Warm, bright etc.? Obviously the OM21 is one option but for all I know I was on to a special one and won’t find another like it. Should the 00028vs be similar? I’m trying one tomorrow and I’ve got my fingers crossed (for those that saw my other thread my train was cancelled today so didn’t get to play it ).

Old 10-20-2021, 02:32 PM

My description of this tone is “muted”.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:35 PM

Nothing wrong with your playing ability- as for describing, I'd call what I heard mellow- I didn't hear a lot of sustain or over tones, which is, to me a good thang! Mellow is good.... if that's what you're looking for you done good!

BTW, I see you're from Scotland- I worked on an offshore drilling rig once, in the North Sea, and the man I was working directly for was Scot- I had to have an interpreter to understand what he was saying- you, OTOH have no accent I can hear-
Old 10-20-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriv58 View Post
My description of this tone is “muted”.
That doesn’t sound good, care to elaborate? To me it’s got that 60s folk sound I love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
Nothing wrong with your playing ability- as for describing, I'd call what I heard mellow- I didn't hear a lot of sustain or over tones, which is, to me a good thang! Mellow is good.... if that's what you're looking for you done good!

BTW, I see you're from Scotland- I worked on an offshore drilling rig once, in the North Sea, and the man I was working directly for was Scot- I had to have an interpreter to understand what he was saying- you, OTOH have no accent I can hear-
Thanks, mellow makes sense. I do have a Scottish accent but it’s not what you’d consider a strong one. Many different accents in this country.

Old 10-20-2021, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Hey Neil. That fingerpicking sounds very good, suits the way you've presented the song.

Regarding the tone, which is very nice too- early Paul Simon- I guess once it's being recorded, the recording set up is as important as anything else.

However for what it's worth, it sounds like a pretty classic rosewo0d 000/OM played softly with little or no nails to me so I think you'll love the 000-28 when you get a chance to try it.

I find a good Dread & 000 is a perfect pair for what I do, which is probably fairly close to your interests. You will really notice the short scale (in a good way) and general playability (including lower string tension) of the 000-28. And the good ones really are alive. So incredibly responsive. Mine really pushed me onwards (and continues to do do so) with finger style/picking but it can also back sets of Irish trad tunes (fiddle, concertina, uillean pipes, banjo leads) with aplomb (although I do love a good dreadnought and will always have one).

Edit: just noticed you're looking at a 000-28vs which is a 12 fretter with slotted headstock. I have no experience with them and no idea how it would compare to.the Standard series 000-28 which I own.

Also I see you are playing a J50 these days, which is short scale I think so maybe that won't be the revelation it was for me, never having played a short scale until I tried some 000s.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)

Last edited by Coler; 10-20-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
Hey Neil. That fingerpicking sounds very good, suits the way you've presented the song.

Regarding the tone, which is very nice too- early Paul Simon- I guess once it's being recorded, the recording set up is as important as anything else.

However for what it's worth, it sounds like a pretty classic rosewo0d 000/OM played softly with little or no nails to me so I think you'll love the 000-28 when you get a chance to try it.

I find a good Dread & 000 is a perfect pair for what I do, which is probably fairly close to your interests. You will really notice the short scale (in a good way) and general playability (including lower string tension) of the 000-28. And the good ones really are alive. So incredibly responsive. Mine really pushed me onwards (and continues to do do so) with finger style/picking but it can also back sets of Irish trad tunes (fiddle, concertina, uillean pipes, banjo leads) with aplomb (although I do love a good dreadnought and will always have one).

Edit: just noticed you're looking at a 000-28vs which is a 12 fretter with slotted headstock. I have no experience with them and no idea how it would compare to.the Standard series 000-28 which I own.

Also I see you are playing a J50 these days, which is short scale I think so maybe that won't be the revelation it was for me, never having played a short scale until I tried some 000s.
Thanks very much Coler. Yes, by your description this guitar sounds like what I am looking for. The main 12 fret tone difference from what I understand is a little more bass possibly than a 14 fret. As someone with a deep voice this is appealing to me. Very much looking forward to playing it tomorrow.

Old 10-20-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Should the 00028vs be similar? I’m trying one tomorrow and I’ve got my fingers crossed ....
I'd be willing to bet that you like the tone of the 00028vs. Should be fairly fat and mellow. Enjoy.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:57 PM
Get off my lawn kid

That sounds like my J-45.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-20-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I'd be willing to bet that you like the tone of the 00028vs. Should be fairly fat and mellow. Enjoy.
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That sounds like my J-45.
Funny that Barry, it sounds nothing like my J-50 which is just a J-45 without the sunburst! Just goes to show how much guitars can vary.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:03 PM

Yes, as above "early Paul Simon"...........and yes, it's that old folk style sound you hear in your head. Could also be early Leonard Cohen.
Also, as mentioned, the recording set-up, and your playing style will make a ton of difference here. Part of the sound you get is due to what I'm hearing is a lot of flesh from your picking hand. Nothing wrong with that and in this song, it helps make the back up to your voice very pleasant. More nails, picks, different attack will change that up a lot...not to mention string choice! I don't necessarily believe it's going to be all in the choice of guitar.....some, but not all.
Hope this helps, Matthew.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-20-2021, 06:09 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Cheers!

Funny that Barry, it sounds nothing like my J-50 which is just a J-45 without the sunburst! Just goes to show how much guitars can vary.
Not an exact match, but the bass strings are similar:

Gibson J-45:

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-20-2021, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

When I first heard your recording I thought of a 00015S an old friend had. He used to play it with 12-56 (bluegrass gauge strings) and installed ebony pins. That fattened the bass and woodied the tone. So your idea of a 00028VS is a good one. We had a couple of those come through the shop where I worked back in the day. They were probably the best fingerpickers we carried in my opinion. But they may have more overtones than an all mahogany 000 12 fretter, which should have a less complex, mellower tone.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

000-28's are a fine instrument.

When I was looking I couldn't find a 000-28 local. But Mass Street had an OM- 28.

Loved the tone. Thought I'd like the shorter scale better though.

After searching comparisons on the Tube. What I was hearing was a fullness in the OM that the 000 didn't have.

My OM-28e is now my favorite acoustic. To the point I'm getting rid of older, issue laden guitars.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:19 AM

Quote:
I’m trying one tomorrow and I’ve got my fingers crossed (for those that saw my other thread my train was cancelled today so didn’t get to play it ).
I hope you’ll let us know how that goes!

Old 10-21-2021, 04:36 AM

It just sounds like the strings are broken in, but not old, and they are being plucked a bit closer to the neck than the bridge. Heck, any guitar can sound like that. Don’t get caught up in being a tone chaser, rather make the guitar in your hands work for you. Nice playing btw..

“The guitar’s all very well as a hobby, John, but you’ll never make a living out of it.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion