The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 PM

Default NEED ADVICE - Taylor or Collings...

Hey everyone!

I'm pulling out what little hair I have about this decision right now, and I need some advice

I have 2 Brazilian Rosewood Taylors - 710 and 814 (Legends of the Fall Series). I have the opportunity to possibly get rid of them to get a Brazilian Rosewood Collings OM3. (among adding some extra cash to the deal, of course).

For those who've played any of those instruments - is there enough of a difference between the Collings and the Taylor's that would justify making the decision to consolidate. I have played many Collings and love the feel of them.

This all came up because I am getting married and possibly need to consolidate (AKA make some room) at our new abode. I love my 2 Taylors, but this is a pretty unique experience.

Any suggestions, advice? Thanks!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM

Keep the Taylors.

and way too many picks...
Old 01-31-2013, 01:32 PM

Can you lay your hands on the Collings and play it? If not, I wouldn't be ditching my cherished Taylors for ANY guitar sight unseen. Nope. I would not trade any of my guitars for something I couldn't touch and play and evaluate in person. If getting married means you have to sell or trade some of your guitars.... I'd be having second thoughts.....

2017 Breedlove Oregon Concerto E
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue
1994 Guild DV72
1994 Guild D65S
2011 Taylor GC8
1995 Washburn EA20 "Festival Series"
Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 PM

no way would I trade two brz taylors for one collings. Maybe trade one of yours for it for variety...

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 PM

@TominVegas - Unfortunately, I can't touch this one guitar in particular - but I know it's in great shape. I've never played a Collings I didn't like. To be honest, I swore to the wife the one-in-one-out rule because of my current guitar collection. I am cleared to keep all of these, just not add anymore until one leaves (wow, that sounded like a good song lyric.)
Old 01-31-2013, 01:42 PM

You have to get rid of a guitar to add a wife? How small is your place, or, conversely, how...never mind. I'd keep them all. Hang them on the wall as art.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:49 PM

Keep the Brazilian Taylors.... save your dough and wait for a Collings.
Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner
‘96 Gibson J-100
Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 PM

Trade one of the Taylors, keep the other and make up the diff in cash
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM

Smile

Remember that one wife has to leave before the next one comes in...
Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I've played a brazilian collings OM that was (to me..) absolutely worth trading multiple Taylors to get. I've also played a brazilian collings OM that I wouldn't trade a good Eastman for. Theres *no way* to know if that specific Collings is (tonally) worth the trade if you dont play it first.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
I've played a brazilian collings OM that was (to me..) absolutely worth trading multiple Taylors to get. I've also played a brazilian collings OM that I wouldn't trade a good Eastman for. Theres *no way* to know if that specific Collings is (tonally) worth the trade if you dont play it first.
Gotta agree with usb_chord here..... if you can't play it first, don't make the trade. I'd keep the Taylors.... they're nice guitars and you can put each one in a different tuning. Can't do that with ONE Collings....

2017 Breedlove Oregon Concerto E
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue
1994 Guild DV72
1994 Guild D65S
2011 Taylor GC8
1995 Washburn EA20 "Festival Series"
Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

I'd certainly want to play it first, but I can't imagine that being a bad deal. But, I'm a Collings fan... never played one I didn't like and their OMs are fantastic. Perfect size.

Taylor makes a very fine guitar, but for me, it doesn't compare to Collings.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Brian makes a very good point. My take on this is that not all Brazilian is worth the big upcharge. Some is. I have 3 guitars with Brazilian rosewood; one cost only $320 back in 1969, the other two were more recent and cost a whole lot more. But they are all very good sounding guitars. The two more recent ones are exceptional.

My own reaction is that I wouldn't trade or sell of a couple of BRW Taylors for a BRW Collings until I could play it. I own a Collings OM1A and I have played a few. So I know what Collings guitars sound like, and I appreciate them very much. But I would not automatically assume that it will sound better than what you already have. It might not.

Trading off two BRW Taylors to get a BRW Collings and then being disappointed in it would be a heck of a way to start off your marriage.

- Glenn
Old 01-31-2013, 02:42 PM

if it were me i'd be asking the question "does the 814 offer a nice alternative to the 710"? in other words, do they offer enough of a variation in "palette" for you to be satisfied? if yes, then just keep them. if you are looking for a little more variation, then get the Collings in addition to keeping the 710. that would seem like a nice combo. but i wouldn't sell both Taylors for one Collings. one guitar wouldn't be enough for me. of course, you may be different.

bill

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM

Thanks for everyone's advice and input! Let me clarify... the little lady isn't making me get rid of any of these... just wanting me to not add anymore to our already fairly-large collection (between both of us, we are at 11 guitars and a ukelele)

Now that I think about it a bit more - I'll probably just keep the two Taylors and work out some different tunings and what-not on one of them. If anyone has any other suggestions for some dual standard 6-string guitars, besides open-tunings, I'd be happy to hear! Thanks again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
brazilian, collings, taylor