The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2018, 02:53 PM

Long Jon, sitting around in his signature long handle underwear with a button flap in the back, wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Hey Wade and Harry ! Don’t fight ! Simply get one of these each . Proper Celtic green and gold guitars that don’t mind the weather.

http://emeraldguitars.com/custom-gui...v=79cba1185463

Better hurry , only three left now.
Actually, Jon, my Irish ancestry is from the Nort' of Ireland, and orange would be the appropriate color for my people....

whm
Old 03-09-2018, 03:44 PM

An orange strap would cover you there, Wade, if a bit gaudy.

I have a pair of matching pair of green Emerald's now -- six string X20 and a custom twelve string X20-12 now. They have become my favorite guitars. These look bright green in strong light (the studio pics) but in more subdued light they simply look black.

Last edited by Earl49; 03-09-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Actually, Jon, my Irish ancestry is from the Nort' of Ireland, and orange would be the appropriate color for my people....

whm
Steady Wade, that could be construed as religion AND politics !! You’ll get banned twice.

ps. Don’t make your PIN number 1690 ( See “Trainspotting T2”)
Old 03-10-2018, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree that that Merlot finish is gorgeous. I don’t think I’d care for it on a guitar, but on a mandolin it’s magnificent.

At that same time in Chicago my musical partner in the Irish duo I was in was primarily a mandolin player, and early on in our professional partnership he scored a 1916 Gibson mandocello in excellent playing condition for $500 at a used instrument swap meet.

It sounded great and had that Gibson cherry finish that you see on old F-4’s. I forget the exact model number the ‘cello was, but think it was the second one up from the basic model; it had those inlaid tuner buttons that still stagger me with how cool they are.

whm
I think that finish looks mighty fine on this J-45.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I agree that that Merlot finish is gorgeous. I don’t think I’d care for it on a guitar, but on a mandolin it’s magnificent.

At that same time in Chicago my musical partner in the Irish duo I was in was primarily a mandolin player, and early on in our professional partnership he scored a 1916 Gibson mandocello in excellent playing condition for $500 at a used instrument swap meet.

It sounded great and had that Gibson cherry finish that you see on old F-4’s. I forget the exact model number the ‘cello was, but think it was the second one up from the basic model; it had those inlaid tuner buttons that still stagger me with how cool they are.

whm
I think the size of an instrument matters when it comes to off-beat colours in that, the smaller the instrument, the louder you can go. That neon green wouldn't look so out of place on a ukelele, say, methinks.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM

I think I saw one of these Zagerized on fleabay.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
I think that finish looks mighty fine on this J-45.
Seeing that photo, I guees I have to reconsider my stance. I agree - that does look nice. I also like the "Pelham Blue" J-45's from a few years ago:

Gibson J-45 in Pelham Blue

I like this finish even though the color kind of reminds me of the stinky French cigarettes smoked by the pseudo-intellectuals who hung around the student district in Kansas City where I used to live:

Foul-Smelling French Cigarettes

Gibson has since come out with another blue finish that I don't like as much:

˙˙˙

I mean, I like it, but the top is kind of blotchy-looking.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion