The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-20-2018, 11:40 AM

As much as I'm liking the look of the Honduran, the character of "Dad's Sitka" is doing it for me on this build. The two are blending well together, very synergistic and they both will look great under finish.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 01-20-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
Squeaky clean work there. Slow down, you're making us look bad!
Thanks Bill, those little miters all looked top-notch to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Schweeet! That Coco surrounding the Rosewood is going to look exquisite under finish. Count me jealous!
Yes, I agree, I think it will be quite a bit darker, but with a lot of figure and sort of really frame the box nicely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Very nice lines and detailing. Clean and crisp. Like a . . . salad?
Ok, I am open to a lot on interpretations, I have been known to see a lot of strange things in wood grains etc, but salad? You have me thinking about that one haha... Any particular dressing you would like to pair with it?
Old 01-20-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
As much as I'm liking the look of the Honduran, the character of "Dad's Sitka" is doing it for me on this build. The two are blending well together, very synergistic and they both will look great under finish.
Thanks very much. I agree, with the age of that sitka it has taken on some color changes naturally and does have a lot of character. I also know that Ben has gotten a kick out of the fact that the AGF has kinda named it "Dad's Sitka". Along with the character, Ben is absolutely resolute in the sound characteristics as well!
Old 01-20-2018, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thanks Bill, those little miters all looked top-notch to me!

Yes, I agree, I think it will be quite a bit darker, but with a lot of figure and sort of really frame the box nicely!

Ok, I am open to a lot on interpretations, I have been known to see a lot of strange things in wood grains etc, but salad? You have me thinking about that one haha... Any particular dressing you would like to pair with it?
Well, when I wrote the words “clean and crisp” the first thing I thought of was a salad. That’s the trouble with stream of consciousness posts. I would definitely pair with a steel string and phosphor bronze dressing.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Well, when I wrote the words “clean and crisp” the first thing I thought of was a salad. That’s the trouble with stream of consciousness posts. I would definitely pair with a steel string and phosphor bronze dressing.
Ahh, that sounds good. I like cobb salads, lots of stuff on it, neat little rows, I have never tapped one, but maybe next time.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:42 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Schweeet! That Coco surrounding the Rosewood is going to look exquisite under finish. Count me jealous!
Add me to the fan list . I LOVE coco binding. As much as I love it, I don't have one single guitar WITH it . Tom, this guitar is going to look just fabulous...clean and classy.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 01-21-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Add me to the fan list . I LOVE coco binding. As much as I love it, I don't have one single guitar WITH it . Tom, this guitar is going to look just fabulous...clean and classy.
Thanks Woody man...I appreciate it.

Here is a video Ben did yesterday involving a couple of very nice guitars. So much debate on wood types on the AGF affecting sound. These are the same models, built with the same style of bracing, and built almost back to back, but with different woods. See what you think.

https://www.facebook.com/WilbornGuit...1832412828459/

If anyone knows how to embed this video from facebook, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2018, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Tried, but failed Tom...Facebook videos don’t seem to embed...

Now on YouTube...

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 01-22-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Got de link
Old 01-21-2018, 08:06 AM

Yes, I tried to do it like a youtube video, but it did not work. Thanks for trying. It is a good video, worth clicking on folks.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 01-21-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

It looks amazing!
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 01-21-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
It looks amazing!
Thank you very much. Thanks for looking at the thread and from your signature, you should know a few things about nice guitars sir!!!!!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks Woody man...I appreciate it.

Here is a video Ben did yesterday involving a couple of very nice guitars. So much debate on wood types on the AGF affecting sound. These are the same models, built with the same style of bracing, and built almost back to back, but with different woods. See what you think.

https://www.facebook.com/WilbornGuit...1832412828459/

If anyone knows how to embed this video from facebook, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
On an iPad, there are more similarities then differences to my ear. Listening the second time there were more subtle differences. I suspect that in person, playing each myself, the character of each would be more apparent. The one thing I can agree with Ben about is I would try to save both in a ship wreck ... lol

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 01-21-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
On an iPad, there are more similarities then differences to my ear. Listening the second time there were more subtle differences. I suspect that in person, playing each myself, the character of each would be more apparent. The one thing I can agree with Ben about is I would try to save both in a ship wreck ... lol
Yes, as Ben said, you can tell they are siblings, but they do sound different to me, the Sitka brighter, sharper, crisper, the Sinker, more mellow, darker sound??? This describing sound with words is impossible.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, as Ben said, you can tell they are siblings, but they do sound different to me, the Sitka brighter, sharper, crisper, the Sinker, more mellow, darker sound??? This describing sound with words is impossible.
I think I heard them the way Ben did... I've always loved the sound of redwood and cedar topped guitars, so that's what I gravitate toward, but they both sound amazing! If I was in a sinking ship, I'd use the two cases as life rafts so I could save both! You need some variety on a desert island!
Old 01-22-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
I think I heard them the way Ben did... I've always loved the sound of redwood and cedar topped guitars, so that's what I gravitate toward, but they both sound amazing! If I was in a sinking ship, I'd use the two cases as life rafts so I could save both! You need some variety on a desert island!
Right, I think you can say that they are both great, but they are definitely different. I thought with all the talk about the tonal differences of wood, this was a pretty good test, still lots of variables, but same builder, same body shape, same player, same recording set-up, but different woods. This test is not so much which one sounds "better" because that is too subjective and each to their own, but more for me, the difference in overall tone the woods inject.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop