The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Sounds absolutely awesome. Cinnamon Girl is keeper
Congrats on a wonderful guitar, Tom
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 02-26-2018, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post

Thanks Mike, I think the demo kind of makes it seem one dimensional as Ben is a flat picker by trade and really does not like to play fingerstyle although he has and is still better than I am and I do it all the time haha! I should have it by Saturday and we will find out! The shape is quite comfortable to play as he shifts the bouts forward so it sits a little more forward on your leg which puts your hand over the sound hole in a very comfy position.

Thanks Mike!!! I appreciate it.
Tom, it didn't come across as one dimensional at all to me. I actually believe the guitar will have a lot of output fingerstyle as well. It didn't seem hard to coax great sounds out of it with a pick, so I figure fingers will work beautifully. I'm not much of an aggressive strummer, so what appeals to me about this guitar is that it seems very dynamic, ready to handle "digging in", but not needing it to make a lot of wonderful music. In my mind it would seem you can use the hidden power to play very expressively in whatever style you like. I'm hoping to get to Woodstock this year, I'm very curious about the forward shifted positioning to see how much more comfortable that is to play.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 02-26-2018, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations Tom...

Quote:
Summary:

It has been a blast meeting Ben at Woodstock, buying one from him there and then loving that so much we got this build going. From choosing the woods to planning the build, to making changes on the fly, and a few laughs along the way, this has been a really fun and relaxed process. Ben, as I think you can see from his videos, is a very easy guy to deal with and to relate to. Personally I love the fact that he is a heck of a musician as well as builder. To me this adds that little intangible to the build and the end result.

Speaking of the end result, the guitar is just as Ben described. The sustain is incredible, it has a pretty powerful bottom end, more so than my EIR, cedar Wilborn. There is real good note separation present and the sound is crystal clear, bright, but warm. I think it still has some opening up to do for sure and will only improve, I think she is just a week old really today! The set-up is perfect for me, very easy to play and the neck very comfortable. The craftsmanship is perfect, some beautiful lines, angles, miters, little details that really make it special.

Grading the entire project and the end result, I would be lying if I did not give this an A+ with no hesitation.

I do not want to sound like an advertisement, but those considering a custom build at a very good price for a handmade, custom ordered guitar, would be doing themselves a disservice if they did not take a hard look at Ben.

Thanks, and feel free to ask me any questions.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Congrats Tom! Glad you two are united and the next level of fun can begin. Sure sounds top notch in the clip. Was thinking about a name for your first Wilborn or did Ben name that too? Maybe Koa Bear (play on Koala). I know it’s a stretch. Anyway, looking forward to getting together sometime and trying these out. You could experience the new Crescendo. Soon eh!
Thanks Dennis...yes, I think another get together is a must. I would die to try your new Crescendo especially after meeting Bill it adds so much personal touch to it. Let's figure something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Whoa! That guitar sounds really, really nice. Beautiful depth of tone all the way up the neck. Gorgeous on chords. Congratulations, Tom!!

JR
Thanks Boss, I am pleased you took time to listen to it. It is better today then it was on Saturday...already improved. Can't wait to see what happens over the next couple of months, the sustain on this thing is thing to behold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Wow... sounds beautiful and looks beautiful! Congratulations, Tom. Hope you enjoy.
Thanks Kerbie, you are still first in line for house sitting!!!
Old 02-26-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Sounds absolutely awesome. Cinnamon Girl is keeper
Congrats on a wonderful guitar, Tom
Thanks, she is a keeper for sure!!! I love when people like you give their opinions because with your list of guitars, you have quality to compare to quality! Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Tom, it didn't come across as one dimensional at all to me. I actually believe the guitar will have a lot of output fingerstyle as well. It didn't seem hard to coax great sounds out of it with a pick, so I figure fingers will work beautifully. I'm not much of an aggressive strummer, so what appeals to me about this guitar is that it seems very dynamic, ready to handle "digging in", but not needing it to make a lot of wonderful music. In my mind it would seem you can use the hidden power to play very expressively in whatever style you like. I'm hoping to get to Woodstock this year, I'm very curious about the forward shifted positioning to see how much more comfortable that is to play.
100% agree. The sound explodes from this guitar without much effort. Just mentioned to Dennis, would be great to plan another get together somewhere, somehow. Just sayin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Congratulations Tom...
Thanks Bob, love it.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:45 AM

I love the shape of that guitar and of course perfect miters are a joy to behold.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I love the shape of that guitar and of course perfect miters are a joy to behold.
I agree with the shape, it is very comfortable to play as a result. The miters are perfect in person as well.

Just an update, I have had her now for 4 days and just put the CG away for the night after a couple of hours of noodling. For all of you people so knowledgeable regarding guitars, is it possible for one to be alive? This CG is so easy to play, so responsive, the sound just flows with no effort, in fact I find myself just trying to stay out of her way and let her do all the work. Ben knocked it out of the park on this guitar whether it is the redwood braces, or the old Sitka or magical Honduran RW, or Ben putting it all together in the right way, or just luck, this one is a winner.

Tom
Old 02-28-2018, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Smile Yowza!

Congratulations Tom

What a beautiful instrument! Sounds wonderful in Ben's most capable hands. Pretty cool to have a builder who is also a such a fine player !!!

Have fun and play her pretty...

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-01-2018, 01:06 PM
Music soothes the soul!

I’m sure you are not giving yourself enough credit. Has to be the player Tom.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Dennis...yes, I think another get together is a must. I would die to try your new Crescendo especially after meeting Bill it adds so much personal touch to it. Let's figure something out.
If my place is somewhat central and you guys want to plan something, I'd gladly host again! We can look to sometime in late April or early May.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-02-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
If my place is somewhat central and you guys want to plan something, I'd gladly host again! We can look to sometime in late April or early May.

Same here, but I am not so central I don't think. Well let's give it some thought and see how many/who would be interested? It sounds great to me. Fun just hanging out and now that your youngest is a wizard in the kitchen, we can give her some grocery money and let her go crazy on hors d'oeuvres!!!!
Old 03-02-2018, 04:35 PM

I think it sounds phenomenal in it's early life... and a beauty to look at as well. Congrats Tom and Ben, Cinnamon Girl is awesome!
Old 03-03-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
I think it sounds phenomenal in it's early life... and a beauty to look at as well. Congrats Tom and Ben, Cinnamon Girl is awesome!
Thanks Louie, you are right and I can say it has gotten better already. I hear people talk about guitars not opening up, I think those folks just have not truly had a guitar this young. Buying something new off the shelf somewhere, it may have been there 6 months with people playing it so you would not notice such a big difference. I wonder if that may be a reason, but this guitar is blooming like the Spring flowers which after yesterday's 18 inches of snow, feel like forever away.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely Tom...

The transformation over the first day under string load in a luthier’s shop is absolutely profound. The first week sees further significant changes, but the basic timbral character of the guitar is established. Over the next few months in a client’s hands, the timbral evolution continues albeit somewhat more subtle, but is definitely discernible in my experience. These phases of change are missed by many who buy guitars in shops that are older and have seen more play.

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying it between shoveling...

Quote:
Thanks Louie, you are right and I can say it has gotten better already. I hear people talk about guitars not opening up, I think those folks just have not truly had a guitar this young. Buying something new off the shelf somewhere, it may have been there 6 months with people playing it so you would not notice such a big difference. I wonder if that may be a reason, but this guitar is blooming like the Spring flowers which after yesterday's 18 inches of snow, feel like forever away.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Absolutely Tom...

The transformation over the first day under string load in a luthier’s shop is absolutely profound. The first week sees further significant changes, but the basic timbral character of the guitar is established. Over the next few months in a client’s hands, the timbral evolution continues albeit somewhat more subtle, but is definitely discernible in my experience. These phases of change are missed by many who buy guitars in shops that are older and have seen more play.

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying it between shoveling...
Thanks Bob, I agree 100%. Had about 18 inches in the last storm and another coming Wednesday I guess for another 6-10....March is definitely coming in like a Lion, these last 2 storms will surpass out entire winter snowfall...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop