The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
on the GC website, there was a place to download the rebate coupon, but I didn't see anything in the box.
It's extremely sneaky, but in that "box" you're referring to on the website, the link to the rebate coupon is in there, but its colored and formatted the same as regular text. I believe they did this so that the link isn't noticeable and people would overlook it.

Here's the link to download the rebate form exactly as it shows on the GC site:
Click here to download rebate ››

EDIT: AGF automatically underlines all links so you can recognize it. As you'll see on the GC site, it's not underlined, even when you hover over it.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:55 AM

i dont see the $10 card option. can someone show me a link?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:05 AM

If I remember correctly,I don't think there was a 'card option'.
The ad simply said that there would be a $10.00 GC coupon emailed to us in the next few months.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 AM

Dang it!!! I got the dreaded "Backorder Notice". Unfortunately, I am in China so I am unable to cancel my order and run down to a local store

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 04-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

I have to say, after doing some research, I can't wait to get my hands on this thing. It sounds great and has some really convenient features. It even has a built-in tuner. This may be the best $39.99 I've spent in quite some time!

Thought I'd share this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuk9hxi2sI0

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-07-2014, 07:58 PM

I got one today at my local GC -- thanks for posting this!!

Looking forward to playing around with it, even though it probably won't be for a couple of weeks...
One day you pick up the guitar & you feel like a great master, & the next day you feel like a fool. It’s because we’re different every day, but the guitar is always the same…beautiful. -Tommy Emmanuel
Old 04-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Great deal on digital recorder.

Picked mine up yesterday. since I ordered online with local pick up in stock, the girl said I would receive an email in a month "to make sure you don't return it within 30 days." In the meantime I'll be sending in my Tascam $20 rebate and doing done trial and error recordings.

Anyone find a good soft case for it? I just need something simple. Girl at GC tried to sell me anvil type microphone case LOL.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:48 AM

Thanks to the original poster. I got the last one at my local GC last night. I didn't get in on the $10 thing, BUT I did have a $10 e-certificate that I got from filling out a survey, and it just happened to have been good only until yesterday. So I got it for $49 + tax. Once I get the rebate back, total cost will be just over $30. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but for $30, who cares, right?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

I an't hear sound cloud anymore? Wonder what happened?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picassov7 View Post
Dang it!!! I got the dreaded "Backorder Notice". Unfortunately, I am in China so I am unable to cancel my order and run down to a local store
I ordered online on 4/6, got the backorder notice that same day, and just got a shipment notice today. Looks like it's shipping out now, they may have just got their stock in.

REMINDER: Mail-in rebates must be postmarked by 5/5/2014 in order to qualify.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
I ordered online on 4/6, got the backorder notice that same day, and just got a shipment notice today. Looks like it's shipping out now, they may have just got their stock in.

REMINDER: Mail-in rebates must be postmarked by 5/5/2014 in order to qualify.
Yep, I got my shipment notification as well!!! Alright, now I just got to get to the states to pick it up

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 PM

Got one yesterday at the local GC and it's nice. Very clean/clear recording quality, better clarity than my Olympus WS-100, although the Olympus is much more convenient and portable at ~1/4 the overall size...but just can't quite match the recording quality of the DR-05. At a price that will end up around $30, it's hard to go wrong.

Here's an audio file of my J-35 recorded with the DR-05 in mp3 format. Please ignore the rather sloppy play. I'm trying Martin Tony Rice MTR13 and not used to playing med gauge strings. My initial impression is the DR-05 seems to favor the high end of the tonal spectrum, and the J-35 isn't that bright. The overall quality seems a bit on the bright side to me but could be mic placement. Still getting used to the best mic placement/rec vol and playing with all the different settings to get the best results.

Overall, I think this will be a very good recorder for general use and certainly a good deal at this price.

DR-05:
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/moq8...Hero_DR-05.mp3

DC
2010 Trinity College TM375 Irish Bouzouki
2011 Guild F-130R (recently traded for GS Mini hog)
Old 04-11-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreer11 View Post
For those of you that want to hear my clip recorded with the TASCAM DR-05 please click below. Again sorry for the lousy playing…

https://soundcloud.com/sgreer11/rw-watson-custom-dread
Don't put yourself down!
The skill that you have has been hard earned and NO ONE would criticise that. You play well.

The recording quality is lovely. Good frequency range for a small mic; quite a bargain.
My Olympus DR doesn't fair so well and that cost >£100.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCannon View Post
Got one yesterday at the local GC and it's nice. Very clean/clear recording quality, better clarity than my Olympus WS-100, although the Olympus is much more convenient and portable at ~1/4 the overall size...but just can't quite match the recording quality of the DR-05. At a price that will end up around $30, it's hard to go wrong.

Here's an audio file of my J-35 recorded with the DR-05 in mp3 format. Please ignore the rather sloppy play. I'm trying Martin Tony Rice MTR13 and not used to playing med gauge strings. My initial impression is the DR-05 seems to favor the high end of the tonal spectrum, and the J-35 isn't that bright. The overall quality seems a bit on the bright side to me but could be mic placement. Still getting used to the best mic placement/rec vol and playing with all the different settings to get the best results.

Overall, I think this will be a very good recorder for general use and certainly a good deal at this price.

DR-05:
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/moq8...Hero_DR-05.mp3

DC
Recording sounds crisp and clear! This just made me excited to fiddle around with mine tonight. It got delivered yesterday along with the Polaroid mount I purchased for it. May I ask where/how you situated the recorder in relation to your guitar? Also - I found myself singing the lyrics to your instrumentals.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-11-2014, 10:22 AM

I have a Sony that is similar in features and quality to the Tascam. I think these will eventually be useless as smart phone apps (free) offer great apps to do the same functions. I found a free HQMP3 recorder and compared the sounds to my Sony and can't tell the differenct through ear buds. This might be why the Tascam is so cheap....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD