The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

I'm not fond of the Fender acoustics either. There are just two many others in that price range that are better. I'd probably look at Seagull first, but Yamaha, Blue Ridge and Samick all make decent starter guitars.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:58 PM

Fender sells acoustic guitars under 3 different brand names:

"Fender" brand which are their least expensive laminated woods models and are made for Fender under production contracts by factories in Asia . They are decent starter guitars that compare with brands such as Takamine or Yamaha or the 100 series Taylors or 1 series Martins and such. They are all better than the lesser name cheap acoustics.

"Guild GAD" brand which are made under a production contract to Fender by a factory in China. They differ from the "Fender" brand in that they are solid woods rather than laminates and are priced higher but they do not use the highest quality woods or construction that are seen in the big name acoustic guitar companies offerings. They can be a first step up from the laminated entry level guitars.

"Guild" brand. Fender bought out Guild in the 1990s and have made Guild guitars at Fender owned US factories - first in Corona, California; then in Tacoma Washington, and now in New Hartford, Connecticut. I like the pre-Fender takeover models best, but I also think that the ones made when Fender was making them at their Tacoma, Washington factory (they are no longer made there) are a close second. In my opinion these are the professional grade Fender acoustics that one could keep for a lifetime.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 05-07-2013, 05:34 PM

I have played many Fender acoustics in the past and can tell you that none of them sounded any good to me. Love their electrics.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 PM

My first acoustic was a Fender Newporter. I liked the way the neck felt more like an electric.

25 years later I still have it. Lots of good times with that one. Sure I have other guitars but I guess I got one of the good Fenders.

Nowadays I'd say Yamaha, Washburn, something like that.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

I think you should buy no fender acoustic. For guitars in that price range they just don't compare to several I've played in rather extensive comparisons when buying guitars for my kids, including Recording King, Alvarez, Sea Gull, and others. Fender would be on the bottom of my list of guitars to consider in the under $500 or so price range.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 05-08-2013, 04:11 AM
Guest 429

The CD-60CE is one of the best guitar deals out there and one of the best guitars in the sub-300 range.

Play one first and then decide. .

Last edited by Guest 429; 10-28-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:14 AM

Default A question for Yoda

Only you can decide if buying that guitar is right. Good luck.
Dj
Old 05-15-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
If i offended you Ken, im sorry -Ive just seen so many people buy a fender acoustic or got one from their grandmother for Christmas that were absolutely horrible guitars ( at least up till now ) -many of which killed the persons desire to learn the guitar -I know Fender bought Guild some time back and American made Guilds are for the most part great guitars -but they dont have the fender name on them.
High End Fender brand acoustics are being made in same New Hartford Ct Factory. They not Guild knockoff they have own design. They really great guitars. http://www.fender.com/features/acoustic-custom-shop/

The 1960s guitars with bolt on necks can be very good sounding guitars.
I have 1969 Fender Malibu.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Fender sells acoustic guitars under 3 different brand names:

"Fender" brand which are their least expensive laminated woods models and are made for Fender under production contracts by factories in Asia . They are decent starter guitars that compare with brands such as Takamine or Yamaha or the 100 series Taylors or 1 series Martins and such. They are all better than the lesser name cheap acoustics.

"Guild GAD" brand which are made under a production contract to Fender by a factory in China. They differ from the "Fender" brand in that they are solid woods rather than laminates and are priced higher but they do not use the highest quality woods or construction that are seen in the big name acoustic guitar companies offerings. They can be a first step up from the laminated entry level guitars.

"Guild" brand. Fender bought out Guild in the 1990s and have made Guild guitars at Fender owned US factories - first in Corona, California; then in Tacoma Washington, and now in New Hartford, Connecticut. I like the pre-Fender takeover models best, but I also think that the ones made when Fender was making them at their Tacoma, Washington factory (they are no longer made there) are a close second. In my opinion these are the professional grade Fender acoustics that one could keep for a lifetime.
The The Fender Acoustic Custom Shop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MNNxbsHumc
Old 05-15-2013, 07:47 AM

Default Should I buy this Fender acoustic?

I found a good use for my fender... Had three little nieces/nephew over last weekend. They absolutely jammed on it. They smacked it, grabbed it, pulled hard on the strings, slide it on the floor, and I even held it and fretted chords as they slap strummed the guitar. Very percussive I might add. The fender held up well and has a new purpose besides holding the wall up. The only thing I wouldn't let them do us jump on it.... That's mean...

Bryan

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 10-28-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natdiva View Post
hi! i'm planning to buy the Fender CD60-CE but I read some reviews and most of them says it sucks. soo should I buy it? do you recommend it?

A simple suggestion: play it. Don't let snobs ruin a good buy. . . or a bad one.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 10-28-2013, 03:08 PM

Any Godin acoustic (Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman, or Art & Lutherie) - or a Walden guitar - would be a far better choice...

www.godinguitars.com

www.waldenguitars.com

Old 10-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Guest 429

I recently picked up a Fender CP-100 parlor. Currently using EJ16s. Made in Indonesia. I really like it.

Last edited by Guest 429; 11-06-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2n View Post
Suggestion: Try one of the Fenders yourself and see if you like it.

MJ
yes do so IMO you should be able to find a decent playing sounding one.
Good first guitar . I got the granddaughter the reg D60 not a bad thing.
try out several if you can
Old 10-28-2013, 04:37 PM

If you like it go for it, take it to a tech and order a nice setup ... BUT ... if you change your mind.... all laminated ? cheaper and nice sound ? Epiphone DR100 .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fender, guitar