The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

And does no one proof the copy? I think the improper spelling of “it’s” is as stomach churning as the new color.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-08-2018, 04:57 PM

I wouldn't mind a green instrument but would want very dark green top and translucent green over maple for the back. Add some gold hardware and it might look pretty good
Old 03-08-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
And does no one proof the copy? I think the improper spelling of “it’s” is as stomach churning as the new color.
Ha! Good eye.. Yep, another grammatical error on that site. Proofreaders cost money, I guess..
Old 03-08-2018, 05:05 PM

So let’s see. Martin introduces vintage-inspired upgrades and modern neck profiles across their standard series lineup, Taylor introduces a bold new bracing system, and Gibson makes... a neon green J-45.

Remind me which company is on the verge of bankruptcy? Yikes.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
Wow. The denim model is OK, but the puke green is terrible. The pink hummingbird goes in the same category. What is Gibson thinking?
My lady friend is sitting beside me watching TV as I surf on the iPad.
As I opened the link she caught sight of the green neon and was moved to exclaim “ooh that’s nice !” .
Knowing her tastes (!) , I expanded the pink ‘un and she REALLY liked that.

So those colours DO work for some people.

Sadly for Gibson, she doesn’t play, so not much use to their sales figures.

Up ‘til I got the red cf guitar she has previously asked “how come you’ve got all these guitars? All the same kind ? ,,,, All brown ones.”
Old 03-08-2018, 05:48 PM

I want to get one in Blaze Orange so I can take it duck hunting with me....

Wade Hampton “And One In Woodland Camo For When I Go Bow-Hunting” Miller
Old 03-08-2018, 05:51 PM

I like the olive green, what is it, $320.00?
Old 03-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

If you've got a perpetual sequence of market flops, it is seriously time to make radical changes in your company culture, teams and product/branding strategy.

If not, your company is likely to face bankruptcy eventually....oooh.....oh.....wait a ....ummm....never mind.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-08-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
Almost as good as the tecno pink $4000 Hummingbird.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acous...chno-Pink.aspx

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-08-2018, 06:24 PM

To me it looks like a shamrock shake.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 03-08-2018, 08:20 PM

It matches my lime green bass boat.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I wouldn't mind a green instrument but would want very dark green top and translucent green over maple for the back. Add some gold hardware and it might look pretty good
Back in the early 1980’s I was a regular customer at Chicago Music on Lincoln Avenue, a few blocks from where I lived. Although Gibson guitars at that time were still being made in Kalamazoo, Michigan, Norlin’s corporate headquarters was in the “Chicagoland” area, somewhere in the western suburbs, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, the store had a good relationship with Norlin, and as a result, they had all sorts of Gibson prototypes and one-offs at what I now realize were very good prices. (I was making enough money playing Irish music in the pubs to pay my rent, buy books, go see movies and date young women, but buying cool prototype Gibson guitars was more than I could afford.)

ANYway, your comments reminded me of one of those Gibson one-offs they had hanging on the wall at the store. It was like a BB King model, a 335 without f holes, in a gorgeous hunter green finish. It sounded great and played wonderfully, as well.

I played Irish music on it. It seemed appropriate...

Nowadays I’d haggle on the price a little bit, but would end up buying it and taking it home. But back then it was one of those wistful partings, never meant to be.

I’ve never forgotten it, though, obviously. You’d have to wrassle me for it, HHP, and I guess that THEN we’d find out who’s meanest and fastest...

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-08-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Back in the early 1980’s I was a regular customer at Chicago Music on Lincoln Avenue, a few blocks from where I lived. Although Gibson guitars at that time were still being made in Kalamazoo, Michigan, Norlin’s corporate headquarters was in the “Chicagoland” area, somewhere in the western suburbs, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, the store had a good relationship with Norlin, and as a result, they had all sorts of Gibson prototypes and one-offs at what I now realize were very good prices. (I was making enough money playing Irish music in the pubs to pay my rent, buy books, go see movies and date young women, but buying cool prototype Gibson guitars was more than I could afford.)

ANYway, your comments reminded me of one of those Gibson one-offs they had hanging on the wall at the store. It was like a BB King model, a 335 without f holes, in a gorgeous hunter green finish. It sounded great and played wonderfully, as well.

I played Irish music on it. It seemed appropriate...

Nowadays I’d haggle on the price a little bit, but would end up buying it and taking it home. But back then it was one of those wistful partings, never meant to be.

I’ve never forgotten it, though, obviously. You’d have to wrassle me for it, HHP, and I guess that THEN we’d find out who’s meanest and fastest...

Wade Hampton Miller
I'm actually thinking more along mandolin lines. Weber has a finish called Black Ice, gloss black top with a lighter black/gray stain on the back so the wood figure shows through. Wouldn't mind getting an oval hole A style in a green variant.

My current favorite finish on a musical instrument is the gloss Merlot Collings uses on mandolins, electrics and archtops.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:33 PM

I agree that that Merlot finish is gorgeous. I don’t think I’d care for it on a guitar, but on a mandolin it’s magnificent.

At that same time in Chicago my musical partner in the Irish duo I was in was primarily a mandolin player, and early on in our professional partnership he scored a 1916 Gibson mandocello in excellent playing condition for $500 at a used instrument swap meet.

It sounded great and had that Gibson cherry finish that you see on old F-4’s. I forget the exact model number the ‘cello was, but think it was the second one up from the basic model; it had those inlaid tuner buttons that still stagger me with how cool they are.

whm
Old 03-09-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyvito View Post
I like the olive green, what is it, $320.00?
They can call it "Olive Green" if they want, but it looks like baby poop to me...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion