The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-10-2018, 11:13 AM

Default TCH Play Acoustic used by Duo. Feasible?

Do any of you use the TC Helicon Play Acoustic in a Duo situation (i.e. one non-playing singer and one non-singing guitar player)?

If feasible, what are the logistics and/or issues?

If not feasible, why not?
Old 12-10-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Do any of you use the TC Helicon Play Acoustic in a Duo situation (i.e. one non-playing singer and one non-singing guitar player)?

If feasible, what are the logistics and/or issues?

If not feasible, why not?
It would work just fine. You have one mic input and one guitar input. The Play Acoustic has no idea, nor does it care, who sings into that mic, or who plays into that guitar. I does seem to be limited to just one mic and one guitar input though.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:20 PM

Default TCH Play Acoustic used by Duo. Feasible?

The PA uses the guitar input for the sound correction functionality. I would think that using that with a mic wouldn’t work. You could use a “Y” cable into the mic input for two microphones. I would think they would have to be the same model of microphones to work correctly.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 12-10-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
The PA uses the guitar input for the sound correction functionality. I would think that using that with a mic wouldn’t work. You could use a “Y” cable into the mic input for two microphones. I would think they would have to be the same model of microphones to work correctly.
I think you're misunderstanding the question that is being asked - the question is simply can the guitarist and the vocalist be two different people - and the answer is yes, of course the PA can do this. As stated above, the PA doesn't know who is on the other end of the guitar cable or the mic cable...!

100% feasible.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI

Last edited by AndyC; 12-10-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:27 PM

I was thinking logistics of it. i.e. who controls the box? Can the singer control some functions and the guitarist others? Is a MP-76 microphone a good (necessary?) option here? How about the use of separate “pedal” footswitches like the TC Helicon 3 or 6 button units.

The P.A. is really meant the be a one-person device but the very fact that indeed two people can feed this thing, then what are the quirks of doing that, if any?
Old 12-10-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
I was thinking logistics of it. i.e. who controls the box? Can the singer control some functions and the guitarist others? Is a MP-76 microphone a good (necessary?) option here? How about the use of separate “pedal” footswitches like the TC Helicon 3 or 6 button units.

The P.A. is really meant the be a one-person device but the very fact that indeed two people can feed this thing, then what are the quirks of doing that, if any?
If they are standing or sitting close to each other both can change the parameters of the PA. If you want the singer to control harmonies give that person the switch 3 or switch 6 to control the hit button. If the guitarist needs a looper, delay, chorus and such, give that person the pedal and then the singer can use the hit button on the PA control box. Or get the sennheiser microphone designed for the play acoustic and the singer can control needs from the mic if you want.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
If they are standing or sitting close to each other both can change the parameters of the PA. If you want the singer to control harmonies give that person the switch 3 or switch 6 to control the hit button. If the guitarist needs a looper, delay, chorus and such, give that person the pedal and then the singer can use the hit button on the PA control box. Or get the sennheiser microphone designed for the play acoustic and the singer can control needs from the mic if you want.
This - which is basically what you were thinking anyways.

One word of caution - make sure the guitarist is using the tuner in the PA, not another one, because the harmonies don't track well if you're not within around 5c of the PA tuner's reference pitches.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification