The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 06:59 AM

Default Pros & Cons of a 12-fret guitar?

Hi Everyone. Why do guitarists get a 12-fret guitar instead of the usual 14-fret one? What are its advantages and its disadvantages?

Not sure if these are silly questions. Is it the luthier who decides the distance (measurements) between the first, second, third frets and so forth? I’ve noticed that longer scale guitars seem to have frets that are further apart than shorter scale guitars. Are the measurements between frets for all 25.5” scale guitars the same, across the board for all brands?

Thanks!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-10-2018, 07:02 AM

Because 12 fretters look old time cool, espiecally with the slotted headstock!! They also sound great, the bridge is placed farther back from the sound hole then a 14 fret. This puts the bridge closer to the widest part of the lower bout, the sweet spot. It is argued that this gives a fuller sweeter sound. All classical guitars are 12 fret designs. As all things guitar it is a matter of personal preference on a number of things. I own two 12 fretters and find the ease of playability a benefit

Last edited by DownUpDave; 12-10-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:11 AM

The distance between each fret is determined by the scale. On every 25.5" scaled guitar, it will be the same - physics determines this.

A 12 fret is supposed to sound sweeter, fuller, better somehow, due to the more optimal bridge placement. It also will bring your left hand a bit closer to you, which many find more comfortable (I am not one of the many in this case). They are often accompanied with a slot head, but there's no physical reason for this, just traditional looks.

What you give up is fretboard real estate. If you routinely use a capo or play "up the neck", that becomes apparent pretty quickly.

I have a couple of guitars with 13 fret necks and they look pretty normal. No one has ever noticed that about them. I find that an acceptable compromise.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:35 AM

Standard scale lengths used by most builders fall in the general area of 24-3/4" to 25-1/2", although other lengths can be used as well. It's a simple matter of doing the math to calculate fret positions after scale length is chosen. Most luthiers certainly know how to do the math, but most will plug the numbers into a fret layout calculator; there are several available to use. I use a simple program called wFret that creates the distance in chart form and will also generate a full size printed layout for the fret positions.

Scale length selected by the designer determines the distance between the nut and the saddle of an instrument. Where the saddle (and bridge) end up will then be determined by where the neck joins the body as well as the dimensions of the body shape being used.

The number of frets clear of the body is sometimes a conscious decision by the designer as related to tone, but more often it's selected to cater to the needs of the player. As an example I recently purchased a 322 Taylor and I evaluated them as new guitars side by side to choose between the two. There was a small tonal difference, but not enough to offset the reduced real estate of the 14 fret version. (The 12 fret was a bit more comfortable, too.) I chose a 14 fret because I often play capoed, sometimes as high as the seventh fret. My style of play doesn't fit with a 12 fret neck join.

The designer may also shift the internal bracing position to effect the produced tone, so it's not just a matter of what you see.

Given any specific brand there will be a difference in tone between a 12 and 14 fret guitar. How that differs can vary, and it doesn't mean a 12 is "better", you have to decide that for yourself.

Play them both, then decide for yourself based on your actual needs. If you only play cowboy chords and don't use the upper portion of the neck then a 12 fretter might be for you. As The Bard Rocks stated, there's also 13 fret guitars as an additional choice.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

If you want a 12 fret and short scale and still want fretboard real estate, go for a cutaway. Taylor GC’s cover this well. The responses above with this comment cover your questions pretty well. Now you just go find some to play.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-10-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Because 12 fretters look old time cool, espiecally with the slotted headstock!! They also sound great, the bridge is placed farther back from the sound hole then a 14 fret. This puts the bridge closer to the widest part of the lower bout, the sweet spot. It is argued that this gives a fuller sweeter sound. All classical guitars are 12 fret designs. As all things guitar it is a matter of personal preference on a number of things. I own two 12 fretters and find the ease of playability a benefit
Thanks for the explanation! Will consider 12-fret guitars as an option in the near future!
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-10-2018, 08:27 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
The distance between each fret is determined by the scale. On every 25.5" scaled guitar, it will be the same - physics determines this.

A 12 fret is supposed to sound sweeter, fuller, better somehow, due to the more optimal bridge placement. It also will bring your left hand a bit closer to you, which many find more comfortable (I am not one of the many in this case). They are often accompanied with a slot head, but there's no physical reason for this, just traditional looks.

What you give up is fretboard real estate. If you routinely use a capo or play "up the neck", that becomes apparent pretty quickly.

I have a couple of guitars with 13 fret necks and they look pretty normal. No one has ever noticed that about them. I find that an acceptable compromise.
Thanks for the more detailed explanation! Yes, I never noticed 13-fret guitars! Are they custom-made guitars?
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-10-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Thanks for the explanation! Will consider 12-fret guitars as an option in the near future!
It used to be that 12 fret guitars were the norm. As needs changed, how guitars were used, 14 fret guitars became the norm. It is nice to have a choice!
Old 12-10-2018, 08:32 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Standard scale lengths used by most builders fall in the general area of 24-3/4" to 25-1/2", although other lengths can be used as well. It's a simple matter of doing the math to calculate fret positions after scale length is chosen. Most luthiers certainly know how to do the math, but most will plug the numbers into a fret layout calculator; there are several available to use. I use a simple program called wFret that creates the distance in chart form and will also generate a full size printed layout for the fret positions.

Scale length selected by the designer determines the distance between the nut and the saddle of an instrument. Where the saddle (and bridge) end up will then be determined by where the neck joins the body as well as the dimensions of the body shape being used.

The number of frets clear of the body is sometimes a conscious decision by the designer as related to tone, but more often it's selected to cater to the needs of the player. As an example I recently purchased a 322 Taylor and I evaluated them as new guitars side by side to choose between the two. There was a small tonal difference, but not enough to offset the reduced real estate of the 14 fret version. (The 12 fret was a bit more comfortable, too.) I chose a 14 fret because I often play capoed, sometimes as high as the seventh fret. My style of play doesn't fit with a 12 fret neck join.

The designer may also shift the internal bracing position to effect the produced tone, so it's not just a matter of what you see.

Given any specific brand there will be a difference in tone between a 12 and 14 fret guitar. How that differs can vary, and it doesn't mean a 12 is "better", you have to decide that for yourself.

Play them both, then decide for yourself based on your actual needs. If you only play cowboy chords and don't use the upper portion of the neck then a 12 fretter might be for you. As The Bard Rocks stated, there's also 13 fret guitars as an additional choice.
Thanks for the very detailed explanation! I have a better picture now.

Just wondering, are you a luthier?
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-10-2018, 08:35 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
If you want a 12 fret and short scale and still want fretboard real estate, go for a cutaway. Taylor GC’s cover this well. The responses above with this comment cover your questions pretty well. Now you just go find some to play.
Yes I will. Thanks!
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
It used to be that 12 fret guitars were the norm. As needs changed, how guitars were used, 14 fret guitars became the norm. It is nice to have a choice!
Oh. I wasn’t aware of that. Thanks for the infor!
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-10-2018, 09:10 AM

13 freters are custom.
i know of no BRAND that makes a 13er
Old 12-10-2018, 09:15 AM

As already stated, 12 fret vs 14 fret is totally independent on what the scale is.

My RK 12 fret is not my best sounding guitar, but the 12th fret neck join paired with a wide and super thick neck make it my favorite to play and I do find the feel to be superior to a 14 fret guitar, especially standing up.

12 fret guitars do sound different too, but if you played a 12 and then a 14 the differences are so subtle that most ears won't catch it.

The one limitation is obvious, triads and diads are difficult past the 13th fret. For me, that has been a good thing - it has forced me to use shapes I might not have learned otherwise.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-10-2018, 09:21 AM

12 fretters are usually long scale and that would keep me from considering one.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Given that all of your current guitars are 14 fretters you would probably be more at home if you want to upgrade to a higher
end guitar by sticking with a 14 fretter. Tone differences are very iffy regarding 14 versus 12 fretters. Number of frets to the
body is a sure thing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion