The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 02:59 PM

Default Question about J45's case.. advice requested.

Hey guys. I'm gonna attach some pics to better explain what's going on, but one of the "neck rests" in my J45 Vintage's case is completely detached. When it arrived, it was already like this- it was in the correct place, but upon taking the guitar out, you could immediately tell that it was loose and just comes right out.

The neck rest in place:

And... the neck rest detached:

sorry if these pics aren't great, but should show pretty much what's going on. it's obviously not an issue if the guitar is sitting in its case, but .. it still bothers me . Should I just not worry about it? Is there any reason I shouldn't use a little glue and just glue it in its correct spot? I almost took a little gorilla glue and just set it in place, but.. something stopped me. It's such a nice case , I wanted to ask opinions first.

Everything else about the case (ang the guitar!!!) is perfection . Best mahogany guitar I've ever played with the most sustain I've ever heard.. it's such a sweet sound, that there's enough overtones to ALMOST sound a bit like it's crossing into rosewood territory. fantastic guitar.

anyway. thanks in advance for advice on the case. I'm leaning towards just gluing it in, even though I guess it doesn't matter. I'm curious how it happened .. or if intentional ...
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 12-09-2018, 03:21 PM

A little velcro with double sided adhesive would work too - kinda like the adjustable sections in a camera bag.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-09-2018, 11:31 PM

Yeah, right? That stuff is convenient, all-around. Good to have around the house.

I don't know why, I'm just a bit apprehensive to glue it in there (almost did). Maybe I'll give that a shot .

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 12-10-2018, 12:08 AM

You can use double-sided velcro - that's probably the least invasive way to go.

You can also drills some holes and screw the neck rests in place so they won't move. That's how many case pocket ends/neck rests in guitar cases are held in place.

I had a Martin Geib-style case that had an incredibly long case pocket, so long that there wasn't room to put a padded leather strap underneath the guitar headstock. (But the pocket was too narrow to put the strap in the case pocket.) I took the case to my favorite shoe and luggage repair shop in Anchorage and they shortened the case pocket by moving one of those neck rests in a couple of inches and screwing it in place in its new location. That gave me enough room to be able to carry the strap in the case where I prefer to carry, under the headstock.

Found this photo online. (Not my house, not my guitar case...) If you look at the side of the case where the neck is narrow in this photo, those brass screws are holding the neck rests/case pocket ends in place.

˙˙˙

So that's easy and inexpensive to do. I had the repair shop do it for me, but it's easy enough to do it yourself, too.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-10-2018, 12:19 AM

Mine is like that too so I'd assume it's intentional.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

That’s how they are, OP. Mine was exactly like yours...the front piece could be lifted completely out. FWIW, I thought that pink poodle case was a piece of crap. (Guitar was great though)

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-10-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
That’s how they are, OP. Mine was exactly like yours...the front piece could be lifted completely out. FWIW, I thought that pink poodle case was a piece of crap. (Guitar was great though)
Thanks Bren (and Russ). That definitely confirms that it was intentional... I wonder why????? I dont mind the case, it's not great but I thought it was OK for no other reason than it *fits* the guitar better than my two previous black Gibson acoustic cases..which were almost alarmingly loose fitting (to the point I thought they both may not be the originals that actually belonged to the guitar).... and even a little better than my Taylor case. But I don't have *any experience with any of the upper echelon HSCs, so that's probably why I thought it was good.

That's really weird as I cant think of a single reason it would be left unattached to come out like that. At any rate, I will get it figured out. Thanks for the feedback! Come to think of it, theres a luggage/shoe repair shop right down the street that my wife has used for her purses and shoes etc. May be worth a visit.

Thx again
Scott

Old 12-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I glued one of these back in place with a hot glue gun. Worked great and cures as soon as the glue cools. Still holding after 10 years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion