The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 09:35 AM

Default Have a question about Gibson during the norlin years

Good morning forumites. I was wondering about gibson acoustics during the norlin years. I know they aquired Gibson in 1969 and the acoustics they built are considered to be overbuilt to cut down on warranty costs. I was wondering if they started this right away in 1969 or if after of few years of looking at warranty cost if they changed the way they built their acoustics. Basically, I want to know about when they started building overbuilt guitars during the norlin years.
Thanks for the help.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:49 PM

Based on a combination of personal experience and anecdotal evidence I'll place the final turnover to "Norlin" specs around late '71/early '72, about the same time they totally screwed up (some might say "reimagined" ) both the SG electrics and their companion EB basses. FYI I owned a B45-12 sunburst identical to Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" guitar in all respects but the finish, a not-quite-teaburst/not-quite-cherryburst that I've never seen on any other Gibson acoustic, but did appear on an ES-125DC I played which dated to late 1970 (and reappeared 30+ years later as one of the RI '58-60 LP 'burst variations from the Gibson Custom Shop); TMK Gord's sunburst 12-string - identical to the pre-Norlin blonde-top in use on the UA albums - came into regular use around the time the Sit Down Young Stranger/If You Could Read My Mind album was released (ca. December 1970/January 1971), and since mine had identical features along with a serial number placing it in late summer/early fall '71, I can say with certainty that the full transition had not yet taken place at the time my guitar was made. Unfortunately I neither own the instrument - traded it forty years ago - nor did I keep either of the two photos I took with it (and an ex-GF), so I'm sorry I can't be of additional help...
Old 12-09-2018, 01:39 PM

Gibson had already started making overbuilt guitars before Norlin took over. They just made it worse. As stated above, it took a year or two for Norlin to go full on built like a tank but a Gibson from 1968 will seem very overbuilt when compared to one from say the early 50's or today.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

My first real acoustic was a 74 J 55. $625 used. You had to fight it to play with any technique or tone. They are nice guitars but not inspiring. Mine was solid top laminate back and sides. I suspect the top was like you indicated, overbuilt , by either thickness or bracing.

I had a 71 ES 335 for a year. Those were amazing except... the 1 9/16" nut widths and fret height under .030". They were so close to perfect if only those two specs could been addressed during design reviews. It wasn't overbuilt or heavy around 7.5 lbs. What a looker... Cherry red replete with the nylon ABR saddles, Brazilian fretboard. Sounded fantastic with semi round wound 11's.

Tough monetarily getting vintage Gibson's from great era's, but highly worth it. I have a 59 Country Western that rattles the rib cage even with multi layer shirts and sweatshirts on.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:09 PM

I was contemplating a birth year Gibson. Perhaps I should reconsider.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
My first real acoustic was a 74 J 55. $625 used. You had to fight it to play with any technique or tone. They are nice guitars but not inspiring. Mine was solid top laminate back and sides. I suspect the top was like you indicated, overbuilt , by either thickness or bracing.

I had a 71 ES 335 for a year. Those were amazing except... the 1 9/16" nut widths and fret height under .030". They were so close to perfect if only those two specs could been addressed during design reviews. It wasn't overbuilt or heavy around 7.5 lbs. What a looker... Cherry red replete with the nylon ABR saddles, Brazilian fretboard. Sounded fantastic with semi round wound 11's.

Tough monetarily getting vintage Gibson's from great era's, but highly worth it. I have a 59 Country Western that rattles the rib cage even with multi layer shirts and sweatshirts on.
Didn't know the J55 ever came with laminate sides and back.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
Well, despite being overbuilt and typically just not as good as other era's of Gibson guitars, you can definitely find a good one. Just like a 70's Martin. The problem is that they can be few and far between. My advise would be to definitely not to buy one without playing it first.

If you're looking for a birth year guitar, early 70's Guilds can be quite nice.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:37 PM

I have a 1971 Gibson SJ I would not trade for anything
Old 12-09-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
Yes, just pretend that this is the beginning of the rest of your life. Gibson is putting out some very nice guitars from Bozeman and has been for quite a few years. I much prefer my recent Gibson J45's over my 2013 Martin.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 12-09-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
...I had a 71 ES-335 for a year. Those were amazing except...the 1-9/16" nut width and fret height under .030". They were so close to perfect if only those two specs could been addressed during design reviews. It wasn't overbuilt or heavy around 7.5 lbs. What a looker...Cherry red replete with the nylon ABR saddles, Brazilian fretboard. Sounded fantastic with semi round wound 11's...
Um, FYI you've just described my Holy Grail 335 in exact detail - and to paraphrase John Lennon, if it turns up while I'm gone please let me know...
Old 12-10-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Well, despite being overbuilt and typically just not as good as other era's of Gibson guitars, you can definitely find a good one. Just like a 70's Martin. The problem is that they can be few and far between. My advise would be to definitely not to buy one without playing it first.

If you're looking for a birth year guitar, early 70's Guilds can be quite nice.
Would love a birth year guild. I'm not stuck on any one brand. Used I only buy locally, so whenever the right year Martin, Guild, Gibson, Yamaha shows up on craigslist, I get curious.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:28 AM

The Gibson Fabulous Flattop book is a great reference on this topic
Old 12-10-2018, 12:31 PM

I've owned four Norlin era Gibsons. All, except for the acoustic guitar, were excellent.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
I've owned four Norlin era Gibsons. All, except for the acoustic guitar, were excellent.
Yeah, looking for an acoustic.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:55 PM

I bought my first guitar in 1979, still have it, still love the tone that made me choose it.
Many years later I learned that it was pretty well despised by the Gibson community because of its lineage of built in the Norlin era.
I love my Hummingbird anyway and do not worry about the resale value vs the 39 years of pleasure it has given me.

20 Epiphone EJ-200SE-12-VS
20 PRS P20E
16 Breedlove D25/SRH Pro Series
17 Guild D-140
? Cort Luce L300V-F SB
17 Gibson SG Standard T
14 Ibanez AM93-TKS
04 Fender Stratocaster
21 Epiphone IBG ES335 Figured.
23 PRS SE McCarty 594
89 Marc Beneteau Dreadnaught

Last edited by Planemaker; 12-10-2018 at 08:06 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion