The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Treble steel strings that are "woody" or have a strong fundamental

Hi everyone,

I'm primarily a nylon guy hoping for some opinions / info on plain steel treble strings.

I tend to feel that on the high e string, especially in the higher registers, the sound starts to get "thin" or "pingy." I could be incorrect with the words I'm using, but maybe it also feels like there are more overtones present than fundamental, which gives a "chimey" thin sound.

For whatever contributions the strings themselves are making; I don't know if one plain steel treble string could be too different from another (are the alloys used across brands that different?), but wanted to ask for recommendations on brands/models of plain steel trebles that may sound "woodier" or have a stronger fundamental than I am used to hearing.

Any info or recommendations much appreciated!
Old 12-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

I know exactly what you mean by sounding a bit thin in the first and second string.
For what ever reason...be it more fundamental or other....NEWTONES Masterclass Round core may give you what you want. Very thick and pure in the treble strings. Much more so than any other string I have tried. Newtones Masterclass may have more fundamentals in their wound strings as well.
The only problem, is you will most likely have to order those treble strings from England. But the good news is you can pick most any gauge you desire.
D'addario's NYXL High Carbon Steel singles are also very nice. And you can order those easily in Singles from Strings and Beyond. They have a slightly thicker sound than others...but the king is Newtone Masterclass round core...there is a pureness to their tone that just stands out.
And of course...the thicker the gauge you use...the thicker the sound you get in trebles as well. But being a nylon string player...a thicker set of trebles like .13 for High E...might be a little bit hard on your fingers.
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dnyhicastsit.html
https://newtonestrings.com/shop/mast...ingle-strings/
And Strings and Beyond currently have three gauges of full sets in stock.
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/nemaphacgust.html
Old 12-08-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I know exactly what you mean by sounding a bit thin in the first and second string.
For what ever reason...be it more fundamental or other....NEWTONES Masterclass Round core may give you what you want. Very thick and pure in the treble strings. Much more so than any other string I have tried. Newtones Masterclass may have more fundamentals in their wound strings as well.
The only problem, is you will most likely have to order those treble strings from England. But the good news is you can pick most any gauge you desire.
D'addario's NYXL High Carbon Steel singles are also very nice. And you can order those easily in Singles from Strings and Beyond. They have a slightly thicker sound than others...but the king is Newtone Masterclass round core...there is a pureness to their tone that just stands out.
I hate to be contrary, but the reason I stopped using Newtones was because their plain strings sounded too brittle to my ears. I even went to 13 and 17s with a customer gague, and it was still noticeable. Each to their own etc.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLQ View Post

I tend to feel that on the high e string, especially in the higher registers, the sound starts to get "thin" or "pingy."
Also a contrary position. There isn't much you can do about the treble tone of the unwound strings on a steel string guitar. This is overstating, but that tone seems inherent in the guitar.

Regarding Newtones, I like them, but they don't help that much. I currently have a guitar strung with John Pearse lights, but with Newtone mediums for the two unwound strings. Thought perhaps the folks in the UK might be using a different alloy that might sound thicker. The heavier Newtone mediums did help a little, but it was probably the result of the thicker gauge, and not the alloy.

You might try coated strings for the trebles -- they seem a bit more muted. I'd be curious to know if you find a solution that pleases you.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:05 PM

You could try Thomastik Infeld. I found the wound strings too warm for what I was looking for, but didn't have a problem with the plain strings, which are a brass colour (and which may make a difference?).
Old 12-08-2018, 04:26 PM

My experience is that there is very little difference in the tone of unwound steel strings from brand to brand.

On the other hand, there is a lot of difference in the hands that are playing it. At a camp last year, I complimented my instructor on how full/round the tone of his trebles sounded. And I also commented that in contrast, my trebles sounded thin. So we traded guitars, and my guitar was miraculously healed of thin trebles...

So IMHO, you will get more improvement from working on your picking attack than from different strings.

In my case, one of the best tips I got from that camp was to work on my picking attack.

Hope that is of some use,
Gary
Old 12-08-2018, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
I hate to be contrary, but the reason I stopped using Newtones was because their plain strings sounded too brittle to my ears. I even went to 13 and 17s with a customer gague, and it was still noticeable. Each to their own etc.
Interesting how we could have the opposite experience. May I ask, were you using their Hexcore? or Roundcore?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm primarily a nylon guy hoping for some opinions
Here's a suggestion from way out of left field.

Try a set of Thomastik-Infeld 'John Pearse Folk' strings on a nylon string guitar.

All 6 strings are wound.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Hi, thanks for all the replies!

Martie and Knives, thanks for suggestions on strings to try.

zmf, will let you know what I come up with. I think diameter must have something to do with it too, it would be cool to try 14/15 on a short scale guitar maybe to see if the phenomenon still exists?

gcunplugged I completely agree that operator error has to be taken into account. I should maybe have been more specific, it is almost exclusively the high E I've felt this way about. In my experience, the same notes on a b string ring truer (to my ears) in comparison to their high E counter parts. I do at least hope in this case it's more a phenomenon of string length or diameter or otherwise physics-related, beyond poor technique!

Thanks again for input so far.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:56 PM

I'm hesitant to suggest this -- it's unorthodox. But I have a Lowden that sometimes has a sitar-like tone on the first string.

To localize the problem, I put a piece of rubber band between the string and nut slot. It eliminated the problem, suggesting a poorly cut nut slot. But the resulting tone was considerably more mellow.

But if anyone asks you why you have a piece of rubber band at the nut -- I'll deny everything.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Here's a suggestion from way out of left field.

Try a set of Thomastik-Infeld 'John Pearse Folk' strings on a nylon string guitar.

All 6 strings are wound.

That's great they provide some detail as to material and tension, the high e is steel wrapped in nylon, and still a very light tension. Will definitely have to check those out.

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Interesting how we could have the opposite experience. May I ask, were you using their Hexcore? or Roundcore?
It was the round core. However, I really like Newtone wound strings (although I also found the double wound too warm for me), but I just found the plain strings too brittle sounding to my ears, something I noticed especially after going back and forth. They are great strings, but there was just something about the plain strings that I couldn't put my finger on.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
That's great they provide some detail as to material and tension, the high e is steel wrapped in nylon, and still a very light tension. Will definitely have to check those out.

Thanks.
They look really interesting. Are they suitable for steel-strung acoustics? What are the top two strings like for bending?
Old 12-08-2018, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Plain steel strings sound very much the same whatever brand you use. You can get a somewhat rounder sound by upping the string gauge. I usually use medium gauge plain strings and light gauge wound strings.

Also being used to nylon strings you can experiment with picking distance from bridge and angle of picking attack.

Also for something with a little warmer sound overall consider buying a cedar or redwood topped guitar.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-08-2018, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Hey DLQ, I just realized that we are all forgetting to ask the big question...
What is the guitar you are using?
What are the Back and sides? What is the top wood. All solid I presume?
As an example...Rosewood guitars generally, but not always have a more mellower thicker sound. Maple, mahogany, Walnut have a brighter sound.
And of course, what gauge are you currently using for your first two strings? Obviously you are not trying to put steels strings on a nylon string guitar are you? As Nylon bridges generally can not take heavy steel strings. Quite a difference in tension.
I believe I have extra sets of D'addarrio .13 & .17 in the NYXL that I won't be using anymore. If you P.M me...I will be glad to drop them in an envelope and mail them to you. But..again..if you are a nylon guy....13 & 17 might be to much of a jump.
And one more thing...that unfortunately might open up some flaming conversations..ha ha...you can sometimes alter tone ever so slightly by just adding different bridge pins for the first two strings. No guarantees. Experimentation is always a good thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion