The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-08-2018, 01:05 PM

Default Swapping Experiment: OTSS UST for Baggs Element

I recently installed one of David Enke's "Open To Source Sensors" USTs in a guitar and liked it so much that I decided to swap one into my Baggs-equipped anniversary model Crafter (spruce/rosewood grand auditorium). I suspect that the Baggs "barn door" preamp is "voiced" for the Element, but hoped that the four band EQ would help with that. The installation was very easy as all I needed to do was widen the access hole (through the bridgeplate) and the extension hole (at the other end of the saddle slot) a bit. David Enke installed a mini-plug on the UST's lead so that I could plug it right into the barn door preamp. I should also mention that I needed to shim the saddle a bit, as the OTSS UST is thinner than the Element and the Crafter's action was low to begin with.

I made before and after (the swap) directly recorded playing sample of both pickups, and am very pleased with the comparison, as well as with the newly improved live sound through my SoloAmp. The OTSS is much more clear and articulate, and I suspect than will translate to better results with ToneDexter (though I may not bother with ToneDexter for quick setup situations).

I should mention that I did need to EQ the two USTs somewhat differently with the preamp's onboard controls. I used a slight 2 or 3db mid cut with the Element, and a modest 3 or 4 db bass cut with the OTSS UST.

Here's a link to the samples:
https://soundcloud.com/guitaniac/pic...-baggs-element

Some caveats: The OTSS UST signal is noticeably weaker, though its plenty sufficient for my uses.

Because of the weaker signal, the OTSS UST may not be a good choice for swapping into an Anthem system. The Anthem's mic gain adjustment has a limited range and the user may not be able to properly balance it with the OTSS UST level.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I recently installed one of David Enke's "Open To Source Sensors" USTs in a guitar and liked it so much that I decided to swap one into my Baggs-equipped anniversary model Crafter (spruce/rosewood grand auditorium). I suspect that the Baggs "barn door" preamp is "voiced" for the Element, but hoped that the four band EQ would help with that. The installation was very easy as all I needed to do was widen the access hole (through the bridgeplate) and the extension hole (at the other end of the saddle slot) a bit. David Enke installed a mini-plug on the UST's lead so that I could plug it right into the barn door preamp. I should also mention that I needed to shim the saddle a bit, as the OTSS UST is thinner than the Element and the Crafter's action was low to begin with.

I made before and after (the swap) directly recorded playing sample of both pickups, and am very pleased with the comparison, as well as with the newly improved live sound through my SoloAmp. The OTSS is much more clear and articulate, and I suspect than will translate to better results with ToneDexter (though I may not bother with ToneDexter for quick setup situations).

I should mention that I did need to EQ the two USTs somewhat differently with the preamp's onboard controls. I used a slight 2 or 3db mid cut with the Element, and a modest 3 or 4 db bass cut with the OTSS UST.

Here's a link to the samples:
https://soundcloud.com/guitaniac/pic...-baggs-element

Some caveats: The OTSS UST signal is noticeably weaker, though its plenty sufficient for my uses.

Because of the weaker signal, the OTSS UST may not be a good choice for swapping into an Anthem system. The Anthem's mic gain adjustment has a limited range and the user may not be able to properly balance it with the OTSS UST level.
I love you man but you crazy.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 12-08-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I love you man but you crazy.
Crazy would be routing a groove in the saddle slot floor to install a co-axial UST which doesn't sound as good as these flat and very thin OTSS USTs. Been there and done that.

And if anything happens to the OTSS pickup, it will be very easy to re-install the Element.

Here's a live vid of me using my other OTSS-equipped at a gig two days ago. I wasn't even bothering to use ToneDexter. Just a little 3db mid cut from my Zoom A3 preamp.

https://youtu.be/73LGc1glAxM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification