The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-07-2018, 06:13 AM

We must not forget that Nick Drake died really young at 26! Yes, 26 is very young not only to just go and die but to have had several original dozen songs, many records, be a unique and "up there" guitar player. And all this back in the 70s?

I don't know about you but back in the 70s when I was in my early 20s I had accomplished exactly NOTHING musically - like 99.9% of the world. So yeah, Nick Drake qualifies as a Genius to me.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I grew up in the 60's and 70's unaware of Nick Drake. In the last few years I've heard about him and checked out his tunes on Spotify. His style and delivery were way ahead of his time (late 60's/early 70's). I really want to like his stuff, BUT....by today's standards (or more accurately my standards after hearing so much great music over the years) his music all sounds the same. Its like he wrote 3 great songs and duplicated them on 3 albums. Am I missing something major? What are your top picks among his unfortunately limited discography?
I had heard of him but never heard him. No internet then, and he got no airplay in my area, so if you could not buy his music in a store you just didn’t hear him.
All that has changed now. I like the fact that when I played “Road” in a college coffeehouse most of the students knew it. That did surprise me. I am a bit angry that the guy has a larger following dead than alive. I wish he had been appreciated when he was around to enjoy it.

My favorites are “Road” and “Northern Sky”.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 12-07-2018, 10:07 AM

I'm a fan of Nick Drake. I think it's interesting that considering the original post and with only three albums the posters above list fifteen different songs as suggested listening. My favorite Three hours was already suggested. If you like Nick's work you might also like Alexi Murdoch. I got into him first, then read comparisons to Nick and became a fan of him too. I really like Alexi's song Blue Mind.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

I can see it. Drake's voice is unique, and lends a sameness to all his work. That said, I love me some nick Drake, and enjoy the heck out of his music.

I also heard him for the first time in the VW ad. Connected with a girl in Seattle over his music, so I have a lot of fun memories of that.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizango1 View Post
I'm a fan of Nick Drake. I think it's interesting that considering the original post and with only three albums the posters above list fifteen different songs as suggested listening. My favorite Three hours was already suggested. If you like Nick's work you might also like Alexi Murdoch. I got into him first, then read comparisons to Nick and became a fan of him too. I really like Alexi's song Blue Mind.
Good call on Alexi Murdoch. There are certainly similarities. "All My Days is very "Drake", to my ear. Murdoch's good music when I'm out gardening and working in the yard, on a quiet Saturday. Like Drake, I don't understand how people can't like Murdoch's music. Then again, I do understand. Glad I'm on the latter side!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 12-07-2018, 02:05 PM

I think his music is great. I love how the acoustic cuts through all the other layered instruments in the mixes. He could have made a great unplugged show.

The rhythm guitar riff in "At the chime of the city clock" is obviously present in Nirvana's "Come as you are".

I think "River Man" is my favorite.

Gone way too early but his music will always live on

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6

Last edited by gimme789; 12-07-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:10 PM

I really enjoy Nick Drake's music. It has a most decidedly ASMR-like effect upon me when I listen. Favorite song: Black-eyed Dog

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-07-2018, 03:14 PM

I'm a big fan, so in Nick's defense, I'd say it's less that his songs sound the same (the melodies are certainly very different) and more than his albums were coherent statements that had a real sound and vibe that carried through them.

My favorite record is Five Leaves Left, if just for the bookends of "Time" and "Saturday Sun."

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-07-2018, 03:49 PM

Well of course music is subjective. Different folks like, "don't get, " and actively can't stand the same music all the time.

I've loved Drake since first heard his records. I remember reading about him in some magazine or music paper shortly after he died. I can also recall first hearing that VW ad, and a strum or two in I was thinking "Wait, I know this song..." and then bang, Nick's voice come in. Now-a-days media is all over the "use an obscure song to ad vibe to my commercial/TV show/movie, etc" thing, but it seemed miraculous at the time.

There's nothing he's done I don't like, but I'm a huge fan of those recordings that mix in the string arrangements, and I try to emulate that in my simple way on in my own recording project (many of those on Drake's records aren't that complex, but they're still effective). Different songs capture me in different moods, but if I had to pick one song, "Cello Song" because the way his voice and guitar mix with the strings. Just perfect (to me). I don't play many of his songs (I can't cop his style on guitar) but I've muddled through "Saturday Sun" and "Clothes of Sand."

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-07-2018, 04:38 PM

Default Nick Drake

His music is consistently lovely. But I don’t listen often or at length because it tends to be a downer, a bit depressing.

The exception is his second album, Bryter Layter, which I find invigorating. It breathes with the sea breeze airiness of coastal Britain and is well paced and beautiful.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:14 PM

Big Nick Drake fan !

First heard of him about 5 years ago and I've been listening to him ever since.

I first heard " Riverman" on a jazz station sung by Andy Bey. A really good cover of the original although I didn't know it was a Nick Drake song at the time.
Carvin nylon string acoustic
Deering Maple Blossom banjo
Old 12-07-2018, 07:24 PM

There’s so much to learn from listening to his music, I should add. His touch and his intimacy. Even if you don’t retune or play his songs. Every string matters.

He is a painter with his guitar, truly.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
There’s so much to learn from listening to his music, I should add. His touch and his intimacy. Even if you don’t retune or play his songs. Every string matters.

He is a painter with his guitar, truly.
Very well said.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 01-03-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I grew up in the 60's and 70's unaware of Nick Drake. In the last few years I've heard about him and checked out his tunes on Spotify. His style and delivery were way ahead of his time (late 60's/early 70's). I really want to like his stuff, BUT....by today's standards (or more accurately my standards after hearing so much great music over the years) his music all sounds the same. Its like he wrote 3 great songs and duplicated them on 3 albums. Am I missing something major? What are your top picks among his unfortunately limited discography?
Big Nick Drake fan here. I don't agree at all with this. His voice timber and vocal lines make it all kind of similar. The compositions themselves at quite different from a guitarist point of view. Melodies, Rythms, chord progressions and general ideas. How many different tunings did he use in all his songs ? So many... So I don't agree with the 3 songs he duplicated on the 3 albums at all.

Avalon Custom Auditorium Fan Fret Sinker Redwood/Ziricote
Furch 34 SR Stahl (custom) - Sitka/EIR
Classical Hanika 58CF - Alpine/Cocobolo
Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
Alvarez MSD1 - Cedar/Mahogany
Breedlove C25 - Cedar/Mahogany
K-Country 1975 - Sitka/Mahogany
upcoming :
Michaud Made OM-R - ARW/ Swiss "moon"
Astrand A-OM - MRW - Euro Bearclaw
Old 01-03-2019, 12:29 PM

For decades, when people have asked me, "What reccord should I listen to that I've never heard of?", I tell them "Pink Moon".

When my son went off to college, we got him an iPod (remember those?) engraved with "Go play the game that you learned from the morning".

I guess I'm a fan.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic