The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-05-2018, 12:53 AM

Default Somebody keeps voting 1 star "terrible" on every "show and tell" post i make.. Why?

So, like i said in the long title...

Someone keeps voting 1 star (which is the "terrible" vote) out of 5 on every song i post on show and tell..

This might seem like a ridiculous thing to get upset about, but the reason i post here is to get constructive criticism. I get so many nice comments from this community, and not a single "bad" one, to tell me that something is off, or that someone didn't like it... But without exception, I'll get 1 or 2 one star votes but no comments to explain it.

I look at other posts in the forum, and see that barely any threads have any votes, even the ones with many comments...

But my new post in show and tell, a cover of chris isaak's wicked game, currently has 40ish views, no comments, but it seems that two people thought it was terrible (even though it seems only 11 people actually clicked on the video) does someone simply hate my face or the fact that im posting something? I don't know what it is

Its been the same story the last couple of times I've posted... I got a lot of positive feedback and lovely praise for the things i posted, and i just don't understand this...

If someone thinks it's terrible, could you at least tell me why? Instead, I just sit here doubting myself...

Maybe it is terrible, but then i don't understand why many people would leave so many lovely comments...

Could anyone shed some light on this? This is the newest post i mentioned ( https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=530364) but like i said, this has happened on basically all 6 posts I've made...

So if you're out there, and you think my posts are terrible, would you please just let me know why, so i can improve?

Regards,

Marc

Seagull Performer CW Concert Hall Burnt Umber

Norman B-20
Old 12-05-2018, 05:33 AM

We can vote ?

Don't take the World seriously.

If you are going to risk absurdity, you must be willing to accept the consequences. Some people have no taste, some are just jerks, sometimes we're not as good as we think.

Some won't like your face.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 12-05-2018, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

I see that most of all Show and Tell posts don't have a rating at all. Two of yours I saw had 2 and 3 stars. There were a lot of 1 star ratings on other posts.

Because clicking on a rating is completely anonymous, I think you should disregard them. It is not the right way to gauge validation of your efforts, IMO.

Pay attention to those who offer up comments user to user. Better yet, what do your friends and family say? Folks at open mics? If you've ever considered lessons, your teacher would be one of the best sources of feedback.

Keep it up!
Old 12-05-2018, 06:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I immediately think Boss Vic Koss from the movie, That Thing You Do, when the P.A. doesn't work in Pittsburgh:
"Alright! Who did I forget to pay?!?"

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-05-2018, 06:15 AM

I never saw the voting thingy before. But I would say your singing needs improvement. I find it really difficult to understand any of the words you are singing. Still, it takes guts to put yourself in front of a crowd or a camera, so thumbs up!
~Bob
Old 12-05-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungBeatle View Post
I never saw the voting thingy before. But I would say your singing needs improvement. I find it really difficult to understand any of the words you are singing. Still, it takes guts to put yourself in front of a crowd or a camera, so thumbs up!
~Bob
Thank you for the honesty. Articulation is something I've been working on for a while now. English is not my first language, though that shouldn't be an issue by now.

I'll keep it in mind

Seagull Performer CW Concert Hall Burnt Umber

Norman B-20
Old 12-05-2018, 06:48 AM

Well, I do not know why someone would do the rating like that. I actually thought your voice is quite interesting and with continued practice you will be very good.

In terms of the recording, I think that needs improvement, find a way to mic your guitar as that is lost in the vocals. I think improvement in this area will take everything to a new level, but again, I see no reason for those bad ratings...consider them jealous.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:11 AM

omg, if that was terrible, they don’t have a score low enough for me. Chris does that song with a kinda droning voice, so I was not put off by it. I will have to check out your other videos. I agree with you, that folks who vote negatively should offer constructive criticism. You’d think fellow musicians would be sensitive to the fact that you are putting yourself out there and opening yourself up to possible negative comments with the hope of gaining insight for improvement. It is insulting to vote 1 but offer no suggestions re areas to work on.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:42 AM

Don't forget that everyone has different tastes, too. My wife never compliments any of my original songs, but wont hesitate to say a particular song is 'too sad'. Luckily, I'm not playing for her benefit (she never goes to my shows anyway!)

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-05-2018, 08:03 AM

For the voting thing, I've found that I've voted on threads accidentally if I'm just idly scrolling on my phone. I haven't even opened the thread but it's got a vote anyway. Maybe those 1-star votes are mine. Ha!

As far as the thread 'views' vs plays, I get that all the time and assume it's just folks that read my description and then move on. Maybe they don't want to hear my latest original. Also, I personally won't watch it if it's a video. There's nothing against videos but I can't just select a song, hit play and throw my phone in my pocket. With a video, the screen has to stay on, uses more data, etc, etc. (PS: I went to the link you posted, saw it was a video but didn't watch it. If I remember later, I'll give it a watch / listen.)

For constructive criticism, I'll only provide it if I can pinpoint something that can be improved. Otherwise, it's just my opinion, which isn't worth anything. Sometimes, the songs are just not my taste. A brilliantly performed Beatles song would still be a song that I don't care to listen to. If I go to the Show and Tell page, I'm looking for originals or unique takes on songs. I have Spotify for the other stuff.

But again, my opinion isn't worth anything so feel free to ignore me.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:14 AM

And I would never use the voting thingy. I would just give feedback.
~Bob
Old 12-05-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
We can vote ?
You are reading my mind.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:03 AM

I've never checked out the "show and tell" section. The only voting I do on this site is on posts that contain polls.

I'll offer that sometimes its not the delivery or musicianship that puts some people off - it may be the actual song. Some of these old chestnuts are way overdone - I would not be inclined to watch let alone like a cover of say "Wonderwall", "Gimme Three Steps", "Freebird", "Country Roads", "Stairway", etc. I place "Wicked Game" in this same category. Totally sick of hearing that song, no matter how well its played or sung.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
" ... If you are going to risk absurdity, you must be willing to accept the consequences. ..."
^^^ This. Great perspective. Don't take them (or yourself) too seriously. ^^^

Old 12-05-2018, 10:08 AM

Never noticed that people can vote "stars" on a show and tell post.

Pretty stupid that it's anonymous 1 star posts. My guess is whoever voted you that way--their opinion is garbage anyway, masked in anonymity.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic