The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-02-2018, 08:19 PM

Default Takeharu has Dead/muted tone?

I recently purchased a very nice Suzuki Takeharu from 1977, I'm unsure of the model. The guitar looks in great shape and plays great. Unfortunately I find the high G,B and E strings to be very flat and muted in terms of sound and tone, even with brand new strings. My feeling is the string is not transmitting to the soundboard correctly due to a poor saddle but I'm not sure. I feel that this guitar has a high build quality and that it should have much better volume and tone, anyone have any similar experiences or suggestions as to what cod be at fault?

Thank you
Old 12-02-2018, 09:49 PM

You can check the saddle/slot surfaces. Is the term "dead/muted" easily changed to "smoky/tubby"? What are the particular strings?
Old 12-03-2018, 06:13 AM

I put Pro Arte regular tension strings on it. The saddle appears to have little to no slots at all , it looks like a flat strip of some kind of plastic. The tone is definetely muted, the strings have very little volume when played . My concern is that this is not fixable and is characteristic of the guitar, but I believe it's a specific problem. The guitar as I stated is very well built and I've played many entry level classicals of a lesser quality that may have had high action, poor intonation etc. but they've all had a clear string tone. I have the option to return it as it's a recent purchase but I'd rather get it playing to what I believe is it's full potential
Old 12-03-2018, 06:14 AM

1977?

Has s/he been setup lately?
Old 12-03-2018, 10:49 AM

The strings sound aok. The slot I refer to is the bridge slot that holds the saddle. I imagine that the floor of that slot has divots that lessen contact, and that the saddle's base (lengthwise) is not evenly flat, and additionally the base has 'sharp' edges that effectively allow it to 'bridge' the floor of the slot. Bad all around. If you take it to a tech to address these issues, I suspect that the saddle's floor will not be filed flat, as it requires a special tool. What you can do after getting the guitar back, and it will likely sound better, is to sand/file the new saddle's base edges so that they are rounded off, avoiding any 'bridge' effect.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:13 PM

I think I will bring it in for a full set up. I believe it's a good guitar, takeharu' have a good reputation. Thanks for your input

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical