The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-28-2018, 09:38 PM

Default First Microphone Recommendation

I’m putting together a starter home recording studio for myself. I’m a beginner Acoustic guitar player with about 6 months of lessons, retired and am doing this to help myself improve. Recently purchased Stienburg UR22 mkII interface and a pair of JBL 305P monitors.
I’m looking for a decent mike that doesn’t cost too much. I’ve read about the Rode NT1-A. It seems to be liked by most. I’ll be recording acoustic guitar and vocals. Wondering if you would recommend something else or is this about the best I can do for about $200. TIA

Last edited by jschmitz54; 11-28-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:44 PM

You're going to get just about as many recommendations for mics as there are people who respond. But I think you should get 2 mics, not one, so you can record acoustic guitar in stereo.

Here are 2 for $200, and they're are good as any for the price, in my opinion.

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/w...0e2/index.html
Old 11-29-2018, 08:04 AM

For your intended purpose, you don't need to use 2 mics, it would just further complicate the learning curve. 2-mic acoustic guitar recording is very good for solo guitar recordings or 1guitar + 1 voice recordings - when you are producing recordings for others to listen to.
If you get an LDC (large diaphragm condenser) mic, make sure it comes with a shock mount. The NT1A is a little over your budget, but is not a bad choice.
Audio Technical AT2035, AKG P220 (on sale right now at Sweetwater - very good deal) or P420 would be other choices.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-29-2018, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
I’m putting together a starter home recording studio for myself. I’m a beginner Acoustic guitar player with about 6 months of lessons, retired and am doing this to help myself improve. Recently purchased Stienburg UR22 mkII interface and a pair of JBL 305P monitors.
I’m looking for a decent mike that doesn’t cost too much. I’ve read about the Rode NT1-A. It seems to be liked by most. I’ll be recording acoustic guitar and vocals. Wondering if you would recommend something else or is this about the best I can do for about $200. TIA
Hi js

I'd recommend the Rode NT-2 instead of the NT-1 but just for growth. They can be found used for your proposed budget ($200).

For less ($150) the Behringer B-2 is a multipattern pickup large diaphragm which surprised me when a friend brought one over to try out on my gear (it was nicely smooth and warm sounding). Set it on omni road, back it off a bit and you can record your guitar and vocals at the same time. It comes at that price with a hardshell case, and a suspended mic mount.

But if you are only ever going to record just guitar (not vocals at the same time), then a single small diaphragm mic will do - and those can be found in the $80 range new every day of the week on Amazon or Musician's Friend etc.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-29-2018, 10:20 AM
Guitar Gourmet

If you are looking at the NT1-A, consider a chucking in few more pennies to get the redesigned NT1.

It has a flatter response curve than the NT1-A. Both punch way above their cost class. We have both here and I prefer the smoother response of the NT1. We also have a couple of NT2-As and as Larry says it is indeed a nice mic but is about twice the price range you quoted.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:34 AM

When you get that nice mic, that's when you'll probably* figure out that your room doesn't sound that great. Acoustic treatment is no fun to spend money on in the same way that plumbing is, but when it's necessary it's necessary.

* I say "probably" because some people get lucky in that regard. And some people don't get lucky but they also don't care. Which is totally fine.

Couch Standards
Old 11-30-2018, 02:09 AM

I agree about the NT1 and 2. Also have a look at the Aston mics and the Lewitt.
Martin J40
Old 11-30-2018, 07:09 AM

As others have mentioned.. Take a look at the Audio-Technica AT2035. Consistently gets great reviews and is under $150.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:19 PM

I have two AT2020’s as my first mics and they are certainly a good start point..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 12-03-2018, 07:30 PM

Default First Microphone Recommendation

Roswell Pro Audio Mini K47. They were selling them on sale for $199.00 US. It’s not only a very good starter mic, it’s good enough that if you got into more recordings, it’ll be a daily user type of mic. Even after buying more expensive mics.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:49 PM

That's a pretty decent interface that should give you excellent results.

I'm a little different in recommendations. If you are quite new to recording, I'd buy something like a used Shure 57. If you buy it used, you'll likely be able to sell it for what you paid should you decide to see if a condenser is an upgrade, and not want to keep a really good spare mic around.

A lot of music you probably like -- judging by saying your are retired (almost there myself) -- was recorded with a mic like that, more will be recorded in the future, and they are still used a lot for live music.

It will make very good recordings with our interface, and it will cut out some of the room noises that you likely have. It's often warmer sounding too. You can use it for vocals and guitar. You will probably get more openness and sparkle from a good condenser, and more. But, I still like the sound of the older Shure 57/58s, and even the newer versions.

Then, after using one of those awhile, try out some condenser mics that experts think are likely to improve on any issues you have with mic above.

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:03 PM

So very grateful for the volume of great information from the fine people here on AGF. This gives me a lot to think about and research. I’ve been able to make some good decisions about guitars and equipment that I’d never been able to do if it weren’t for the gracious sharing of your experience,knowledge and information.Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR1960 View Post
Roswell Pro Audio Mini K47. They were selling them on sale for $199.00 US. It’s not only a very good starter mic, it’s good enough that if you got into more recordings, it’ll be a daily user type of mic. Even after buying more expensive mics.
I also really like my Mini K47. It's really "truthful" and lacking hype. I would think it extremely rare to find them sold at the 200 level, though. That puts them out of the OP's price range.

Last edited by Rudy4; 12-03-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:28 AM

I have just recorded a song with my Audio Technical AT2035.

I used it for the vocals and the most of my acoustic sound (I also used the direct recording, with a LR Baggs M80, and put the sounds together).

The signal was recorded into a Scarlett Solo. Mixed (poorly) on Pro Tools first.

Here's the video:

Last edited by PANDAPANDELO; 12-04-2018 at 07:34 AM. Reason: I don't know hot to post the direct video, so I changed it to the link.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
I have just recorded a song with my Audio Technical AT2035.

I used it for the vocals and the most of my acoustic sound (I also used the direct recording, with a LR Baggs M80, and put the sounds together).

The signal was recorded into a Scarlett Solo. Mixed (poorly) on Pro Tools first.

Here's the video:

Well done. Beautiful voice and the mic seems very good. Thanks for sharing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD