The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-07-2018, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Default DAGDAD - would higher tension strings help?

I got a Cordoba C7 with the intent of tuning and leaving it at DAGDAD while I worked through the first part of Jim Tozier's Celtic Guitar Solos. Sadly, I can't seem to use it for that for two reasons: 1) can't keep it in tune at the lower pitches, especially with a capo, and 2) constantly push the 1st and 6th strings off the edge of the fretboard when they are not at full tension.

So - would higher tension strings help? If so, do you have a modestly priced suggestion for this experiment?

Thanks.

Really recommend the Tozier book, by the way, if like me you've played long enough that your fingers do what they are told but you're just starting to look into this whole alternate tunings thing.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:56 PM

Do you mean DADGAD?
Old 11-07-2018, 05:23 PM

I higher tension set is a fairly low-cost experiment on guitar.

I suspect you'll want higher tension on 1, 2, 6, and the same tension on 3, 4, 5
Old 11-08-2018, 02:02 AM

Edit: You might try a custom blend of string gauges that would mimic what these do for steel string guitars:

D'Addario True Medium guitar sets feature a smaller diameter 3rd, 4th and 5th string than our traditional EJ17 Medium set. These strings are for players that looking for an even more balanced sound and tension across their medium setup. In addition, these gauges are optimal for DADGAD tuning, originally popularized as an alternative tuning in Celtic music, but extends into contemporary folk, fingerstlye and rock styles.

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha

Last edited by el_kabong; 11-08-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_kabong View Post
You might try these:

D'Addario True Medium guitar sets feature a smaller diameter 3rd, 4th and 5th string than our traditional EJ17 Medium set. These strings are for players that looking for an even more balanced sound and tension across their medium setup. In addition, these gauges are optimal for DADGAD tuning, originally popularized as an alternative tuning in Celtic music, but extends into contemporary folk, fingerstlye and rock styles.
NOOOO!!!! Sorry for the emphasis--but please don't put steel strings on a classical guitar. The tension is way more than what's intended for a guitar built for nylon strings.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwink View Post
NOOOO!!!! Sorry for the emphasis--but please don't put steel strings on a classical guitar. The tension is way more than what's intended for a guitar built for nylon strings.
Ooops….right and revised....missed that it was a classical. You might be stuck with doing a custom blend that would accomplish the same goal.

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 11-09-2018, 06:47 AM

Do you know what the current strings are? That would help identify options that are higher tension.

A starting point might be Augustine Regal Blue. The high E string on these is a relatively high tension. Tuning the low E down to D is fairly common, so if you're having issues with the 6th string slipping off the edge, then the nut slot may be too close to the edge of the fingerboard (or you're fretting with too much lateral pressure). Are you trying to use a thumb-over technique on the 6th string? This can be tough with nylon strings in general.

Tuning stability is also more problematic in general with nylon vs. steel. It can take many hours of play time before the strings settle, and even then you will notice changes with fairly modest temperature swings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjk View Post
I got a Cordoba C7 with the intent of tuning and leaving it at DAGDAD while I worked through the first part of Jim Tozier's Celtic Guitar Solos. Sadly, I can't seem to use it for that for two reasons: 1) can't keep it in tune at the lower pitches, especially with a capo, and 2) constantly push the 1st and 6th strings off the edge of the fretboard when they are not at full tension.

So - would higher tension strings help? If so, do you have a modestly priced suggestion for this experiment?

Thanks.

Really recommend the Tozier book, by the way, if like me you've played long enough that your fingers do what they are told but you're just starting to look into this whole alternate tunings thing.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:00 PM

Buy some high tension nylon strings, or some carbon strings (medium or high tension).

If you want it to be in DADGAD all the time then go to a website that sells individual strings (common for classical guitar strings). Buy high tension for the strings you tune down, and normal tension for the strings that stay the same.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 11-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all. Have a set of high tension on order.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical