The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-07-2018, 02:08 PM

Why not buy the Homespun DVD "Christmas Songs and Holiday Melodies taught by John Fahey". Tab pdf file included. $29.95 gets you the man himself teaching Auld Lang Syne, The Bells Of St, Mary, The First Noel, Away In A Manger, Jesus Won't You Come By Here, Go Tell It On The Mountain, It Came Upon A Midnight Clear, We Three Kings Of Orient Are, Greensleeves and Silent Night.

http://www.guitarvideos.com/Products...s#.XArSD_ZFyM8
Old 12-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Why not buy the Homespun DVD "Christmas Songs and Holiday Melodies taught by John Fahey". Tab pdf file included. $29.95 gets you the man himself teaching Auld Lang Syne, The Bells Of St, Mary, The First Noel, Away In A Manger, Jesus Won't You Come By Here, Go Tell It On The Mountain, It Came Upon A Midnight Clear, We Three Kings Of Orient Are, Greensleeves and Silent Night.

http://www.guitarvideos.com/Products...s#.XArSD_ZFyM8
It doesn’t have all the songs in this book. The book I’m offering is out of print and can’t be purchased. If it could be purchased, I wouldn’t offer to share it here.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
It doesn’t have all the songs in this book. The book I’m offering is out of print and can’t be purchased. If it could be purchased, I wouldn’t offer to share it here.
Yeah, and the book doesn't have a DVD of John Fahey teaching any of the songs. I think the Homespun offering is a useful resource. You are free to disagree.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Yeah, and the book doesn't have a DVD of John Fahey teaching any of the songs. I think the Homespun offering is a useful resource. You are free to disagree.
Yeah, Fahey is a pretty lousy teacher. I love the guy, but he wasn't meant to teach. Probably worth buying even still, I suppose.

Here is a link for all you Fahey fans. No need to contact me.

http://jus-tone.com/misc/Guitar%20Ch...%20(Fahey).pdf
Old 12-08-2018, 10:53 AM

I'm in agreement with Justonwo

I owned the Fahey lessons back when they sold on VHS ( I guess I'm getting old) John is an awesome player, but teaching is not his strong side.

I prefer the out of print book & have cherished it for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Yeah, Fahey is a pretty lousy teacher. I love the guy, but he wasn't meant to teach. Probably worth buying even still, I suppose.

Here is a link for all you Fahey fans. No need to contact me.

http://jus-tone.com/misc/Guitar%20Ch...%20(Fahey).pdf
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 12-13-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I'm in agreement with Justonwo

I owned the Fahey lessons back when they sold on VHS ( I guess I'm getting old) John is an awesome player, but teaching is not his strong side.

I prefer the out of print book & have cherished it for years.
I don't know, I think a little time spent with the videos he did is definitely worth it. Plus I find learning from tab a pretty unpleasant experience, watching someone play is more of a pleasure.
Anyway, I have a ton of respect for John Fahey, enjoy learning and playing the songs, however you want to do it.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:58 PM

I certainly have enjoyed John Fahey’s music over the years. I own most of his videos and books including the Christmas book which oddly enough was my introduction into the world of John Fahey years ago. Very playable and enjoyable fingerstyle that really brings out the raw sound and tone of an acoustic guitar. In Christ there is no east and west, Last steam engine, some summer day, sunny side of the ocean are all still some favorites of mine to play and listen to.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penname View Post
I wish this book was available at a reasonable price. A PDF was available on the Internet at one time but was taken down. I would gladly pay a non-scalper price for it.
I see JustonWo shared it. The Christmas book is also available through inter-library loan at my university, so some might try a library. There are two other books of his on Scribd, "John Fahey - Guitar Anthology" in the book section and "The Best Of John Fahey" as a pdf.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

Last edited by SunnyDee; 12-13-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

If you like Fahey I think both the out of print book and the Homespun DVD are needed. As has been mentioned, there are differences in the song list between the two. But even more important to me, the book has the earlier arrangements of some songs, while the Homespun DVD has the later versions. I recently went through Fahey’s albums (thanks Apple Music subscription) in chronological order and for some songs his arrangements changed over the years.

For example, here is a recording of “It Came Upon a Midnight Clear” from “The New Posibility” Christmas album. According to Wikipedia this album was released in 1968. This version corresponds the tab in the book.

The Homespun version is not on YouTube but this live version from 1991 is basically what John teaches in the DVD and associated tab. This is the version I currently play but next year I plan to learn the earlier version or maybe even combine them.

2018 Guild M-20
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write