The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 08:46 AM

Default Thomastik Infeld John Pearse Folk PJ116

I want my guitar, a concert size steel strung Yamaha - which I use pretty much exclusively for fingerstyle, to be something of a hybrid between steel and nylon. I don't expect it to be either 'exactly', just a good balanced sound across the strings, with plain strings that aren't too thin sounding, especially the top string. I currently use Martin 12 and 16, but have also tried 13 and 17, but still want a fuller sound on those plain strings.

I know there's another recent thread about these issues with plain strings, but I just have some questions specific to the Thomastik Infeld John Pearse Folk strings:

1) The wound strings (especially the sixth) look a little thin to me - and I'm probably unnecessarily concerned, but it's such an odd set of gagues ((I usually use 12, 16, 25, 32, 42, 54). Is the sound balanced, all considered?

2) What kind of longevity do people get out of them?

3) What's the tension like - if I put them on a steel strung (non-classical) guitar, would I need a new set-up (I hate it when strings rattle!)?

4) How easy are the first and second strings to bend?

5) I play with nails, so was wondering if there are any unwanted 'noises' (scrapes etc.) on those wound top two strings?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Martie; 12-10-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

It's been several years since my experience with them, but I had a 1907 Martin 0-18 that was built for gut strings and the Thomastik Infeld John Pearse Folk PJ116 set was the only set of non-nylon strings I'd consider using on that particular guitar, given the relative thinness of the top and gut-specific bracing. If you're looking for a string that will move a top that was intended for and braced for steel, you might be underwhelmed with their ability to "move" the top, but only one way to find out. According to Pearse, they run just shy of 85 lbs per set.

I play with nails, most of the time, and didn't recall any negative reaction to the way the strings felt or sounded. Longevity was better than average and they seemed to maintain their tone well enough.

This response makes me want that little Martin back...

Hope that helps a little bit.

Austin
Old 12-10-2018, 03:38 PM

I currently have a set of these on my Lakewood M1 (2003) I like the "soft" sound of the trebles and the bass is good and solid. I play with the fleshy parts of my fingers, not the nails, so I don't have any issues with nail noise on the strings. The only problem I have with them is that the high E slips off the fretboard -- probably due to my bad technique -- but I haven't experienced this issue with any other strings I have used on this instrument. I suspect it is a tension problem.

As an aside, this is a great set of strings if you have fretting finger pain. I have a touch of neuropathy in my hands, and these puppies are very easy on the fingertips.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 12-11-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukematrix View Post
If you're looking for a string that will move a top that was intended for and braced for steel, you might be underwhelmed with their ability to "move" the top, but only one way to find out. According to Pearse, they run just shy of 85 lbs per set.
Thanks for your help. I guess that shouldn't be too much of a problem, as it's purely for home use. I suppose I'm more concerned about them being overly 'loose' and rattling etc. And they're not a cheap string, so just want to find out what I can before pulling the trigger etc.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgjsps View Post
I currently have a set of these on my Lakewood M1 (2003)...as an aside, this is a great set of strings if you have fretting finger pain. I have a touch of neuropathy in my hands, and these puppies are very easy on the fingertips.
Thanks for your input. I was wondering, will those top two string be quite tight, as they seem pretty thick for the first two strings. Conversely, are the bass strings 'loose'?
Old 12-11-2018, 09:59 AM

Martie, I put a set of those strings on my all-plywood classical guitar, and was amazed how much better they made the guitar sound. That’s what they’re actually designed for, to boost the treble response and give more of a folk sound to classical guitars.

I’m not sure what they would sound like on a steel string guitar, though. By all means give them a try, but you might be better served by putting silk and steel or John Pearse Phosphor Bronze & Silk strings on your guitar.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

PS: As for durability, I put those strings on the guitar in June, that guitar stays out on a stand year round, and in that time has been played and played hard by at least half a dozen people besides me, yet the strings still sound great. So I don’t think you need to worry about that aspect.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Martie, I put a set of those strings on my all-plywood classical guitar, and was amazed how much better they made the guitar sound. That’s what they’re actually designed for, to boost the treble response and give more of a folk sound to classical guitars.

I’m not sure what they would sound like on a steel string guitar, though. By all means give them a try, but you might be better served by putting silk and steel or John Pearse Phosphor Bronze & Silk strings on your guitar.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

PS: As for durability, I put those strings on the guitar in June, that guitar stays out on a stand year round, and in that time has been played and played hard by at least half a dozen people besides me, yet the strings still sound great. So I don’t think you need to worry about that aspect.
Thanks Wade, that does indeed help.

My curiosity was piqued by this thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=530781

...and it's the first two strings I'm particularly curious about. That's to say, I'm more or less happy with the wound strings I use (currently using Martin Flexible Core), but would like the type of plain strings described in the above thread title.

However, I'm now curious to know more about silk and steel strings etc. What are the plain strings like with these? Or is it just the wound strings that are silk and steel? Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
Thanks for your input. I was wondering, will those top two string be quite tight, as they seem pretty thick for the first two strings. Conversely, are the bass strings 'loose'?
These strings are all wound on steel cores. The gauge or the trebles is "heavier" than light steels. I can't find the package, but I estimate the E at maybe .013-.014, but they are lower tension, so the thickness isn't an issue for me, at least.

The G, A, and E lower strings don't seem to be what I would call "loose." Pretty much like any "light" set. They drive the Engelmann top of the Lakewood just fine and with good sustain.

A note: These strings are expensive, $25-$28 per set. Can't speak to their longevity; I don't play all that much and they have only been in use for about two months with no moire than 1-2 hrs per week of play time.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 12-11-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgjsps View Post
The G, A, and E lower strings don't seem to be what I would call "loose." Pretty much like any "light" set. They drive the Engelmann top of the Lakewood just fine and with good sustain.

A note: These strings are expensive, $25-$28 per set. Can't speak to their longevity; I don't play all that much and they have only been in use for about two months with no moire than 1-2 hrs per week of play time.
Thanks again. It's reassuring to hear that they're not 'loose' per se. And reassuring because they are expensive, but if they're anything like the Thomastik flatwounds I have on my electric they should last a good while.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:16 AM

Hi @Martie

I use these on my 1893 Martin O-28. I use aLaska picks and there are no noise issues on the wound first and second strings. You really don’t notice they’re wound except visually.

The string tension is quite low. You may need to adjust the truss rod if it’s currently set up for significantly higher tension strings.

The low tension does make bending quite easy as well as fretting. It can spoil you - if you go back to higher tension strings on another guitar you’ll notice the difference.

I find they last longer than conventional strings on this guitar. When I bought it, the Martin was set up for Silk and Steel strings. I like the sound with these strings much more. Changing didn’t cause any setup issues which was a good thing because on these older guitars the only way to change neck relief is by refretting.

One issue you may experience is intonation problems. Intonation actually improved on my guitar over the S&S strings because the guitar was intonated for nylon strings and it was a little off with the smaller diameter strings. It may not be a problem at all but the potential is there.

Lastly, you’ll find that these take a while to settle down and stretch in. In my experience, it’s not as bad as with regular nylon strings but it is worse than steels.

Cheers,

Bill

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 12-14-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
The string tension is quite low. You may need to adjust the truss rod if it’s currently set up for significantly higher tension strings.
Thanks. I guess the main thing that's stopping me from ordering these so far is the cost, and wanting to be sure as I can be before I risk it. The other thing is that I like how my guitar is currently set up, I just want a less 'steel' sound on those first two strings. I guess having to make a few more adjustments for the right strings is doable though. Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion