The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 08:46 PM

Default Martin Cocobolo with mahogany wedge

Hey folks,
I’m thinking about buying a Martin Custom OM with Cocobolo back/sides with a flamed mahogany wedge. I’ve listened to a few YouTube videos but I was wondering if anyone has experience with this tonewood combo. It’s a beautiful guitar overall. But I won’t have the chance to play it first before purchasing.

Last edited by jrs146; 12-09-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

In theory, combining Rosewood with mahogany should offer the sustain and deeper bass of Rosewood, with the midrange punch of mahogany.
So naturally after seeing your post, I was super curious and googled this guitar and saw Tony P. video on this wood combination.
Hmmm, I find Tony's recordings to be of good value. He uses reasonable microphones ( I think a Neumann KM 184) and his recordings seem on par with what I know a certain guitar should sound like. While the guitar seemed pleasant enough, not sure that this combination gave enough of either the rosewood or mahogany sound. It neither had the deep overtones that rosewood delivers...or the punch mahogany can give. But, sometimes when we hear something a bit different...we are slow to recognize it's true value.
And of course, playing it in hand...is the only way to truly tell. Sometimes a guitar that sounds great in one person's hand....only sounds O>k in another. And vice verse. I have experience this with a friend of mine. The real issue is that I believe Tony states that this is a mellow guitar. So, that is possibly a negative as far as I am concern. However...he does state he thinks it would make a great recording guitar. But from his recording..did not get the great sound...but certainly a good sound.
In the end....if you hear something you like....then order it if they give a return policy. Last year, I bought a super high end used guitar, and I did not like it at all. I returned it..and it cost me a total of $200 for shipping. That Hurt. 15minutes for $200!!> But, it was a well worth that $200. I got an itch scratched. I got to hear what that guitar sounded like. From that, I realized what I really needed.
Hope I never have to take a hit like that again. But again...in the end...it was worth it. I know now that particular wood combination I tried, l was not quite right for myself. Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet and go for it.
Of course, the other option is to search for a cheap airline ticket and go try it out. Either way..you will still be out a few bucks but get that itch scratched.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

What is the soundboard wood? That material, and Martin as the builder, are 95% of the tone of this guitar.

If you like the sound of Martin, and you like whatever the soundboard wood is, you will likely be satisfied with this instrument. As for the back and sides, they'll color the tone established by Martin's construction and the soundboard--so you'll have an impact from the Cocobolo, yes, but the contrasting wedge in the 35 series is far too minor to possibly say what it does in combination with the Cocobolo. It's mostly aesthetic. And a very pleasing one at that
The flamed Koa binding is gorgeous with the color of that Cocobolo by the way.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
What is the soundboard wood? That material, and Martin as the builder, are 95% of the tone of this guitar.

If you like the sound of Martin, and you like whatever the soundboard wood is, you will likely be satisfied with this instrument. As for the back and sides, they'll color the tone established by Martin's construction and the soundboard--so you'll have an impact from the Cocobolo, yes, but the contrasting wedge in the 35 series is far too minor to possibly say what it does in combination with the Cocobolo. It's mostly aesthetic. And a very pleasing one at that
The flamed Koa binding is gorgeous with the color of that Cocobolo by the way.

It’s an Adirondack top with Sitka GE top bracing. I’d imagine you’re right with regards to the top making most of the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
In theory, combining Rosewood with mahogany should offer the sustain and deeper bass of Rosewood, with the midrange punch of mahogany.
So naturally after seeing your post, I was super curious and googled this guitar and saw Tony P. video on this wood combination.
Hmmm, I find Tony's recordings to be of good value. He uses reasonable microphones ( I think a Neumann KM 184) and his recordings seem on par with what I know a certain guitar should sound like. While the guitar seemed pleasant enough, not sure that this combination gave enough of either the rosewood or mahogany sound. It neither had the deep overtones that rosewood delivers...or the punch mahogany can give. But, sometimes when we hear something a bit different...we are slow to recognize it's true value.
And of course, playing it in hand...is the only way to truly tell. Sometimes a guitar that sounds great in one person's hand....only sounds O>k in another. And vice verse. I have experience this with a friend of mine. The real issue is that I believe Tony states that this is a mellow guitar. So, that is possibly a negative as far as I am concern. However...he does state he thinks it would make a great recording guitar. But from his recording..did not get the great sound...but certainly a good sound.
In the end....if you hear something you like....then order it if they give a return policy. Last year, I bought a super high end used guitar, and I did not like it at all. I returned it..and it cost me a total of $200 for shipping. That Hurt. 15minutes for $200!!> But, it was a well worth that $200. I got an itch scratched. I got to hear what that guitar sounded like. From that, I realized what I really needed.
Hope I never have to take a hit like that again. But again...in the end...it was worth it. I know now that particular wood combination I tried, l was not quite right for myself. Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet and go for it.
Of course, the other option is to search for a cheap airline ticket and go try it out. Either way..you will still be out a few bucks but get that itch scratched.

Thanks for your input. They do have a return policy so I could probably try it out and worst case just for return shipping.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:37 PM

Adirondack with cocobolo and GE bracing? Better grab it now, or someone else will.

All kidding aside, though.. that sounds like a great combo. Some of my very favorite guitars have been A) Adirondack with EIR and B) Sitka with Cocobolo.

Naturally, this put Adirondack with Cocobolo pretty much front-and-center with the tonewood combination I'd like to try next, in an ideal world. If I were building a custom shop guitar today, that would be my woods.. with flamed maple binding and scalloped bracing.

As to the Martin- sounds good to me!!

What's their return policy like? I have a hard time thinking just about anyone wouldn't like a guitar like that, but.. better safe than sorry... if they allow returns, then pull the trigger.

Good luck!

Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 12-09-2018, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

It looks great. Life is short. Get it. You can always return it if you don't like it.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

It looks like a keeper to me as long as it has the tone and feel you are looking for. As others have said, you can always return it. Worth the risk IMHO.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-10-2018, 09:32 AM

If you like the looks of it I think it would probably be a safe purchase. Of course youd have to think it was a good buy, price wise. I think Coco makes for great potential and to the degree that mahogany displaces the Coco it would reduce the potential. In addition, Martin being factory guitars some sound great and others dont. Return policy is a necessity.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:57 AM

That is a stunningly beautiful guitar. Buy it! You only have the shipping cost to lose if you don't like it. I'd like to see what the front (including fingerboard and headstock) looks like.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 12-10-2018, 09:59 AM

I like it. Go for it!
Old 12-10-2018, 12:40 PM

This one?

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...-s577/17169400

It may already be sold.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
This one?
I would say that's it...

'Tis a beauty ♫
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 12-11-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
I would say that's it...

'Tis a beauty ♫

That is the one. And I did buy it!
Old 12-11-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
That is the one. And I did buy it!
Wow! That is a truly beautiful guitar!

Hope it's all you want.
PJ
Old 12-11-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Wow! That is a truly beautiful guitar!

Hope it's all you want.

PJ

Thanks! Kinda nervous. It’s the most I’ve spent on a guitar. And it’s certainly well above my skill level. But I was just so struck by the beauty of it. I thought it could perhaps inspire me to play more and become worthy of it. It will take a good spot next to my HD-28V

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion