The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-26-2018, 07:47 PM

Default Mic + Vocals - 2 mics or 3?

I'm finally recording some original songs that I am super proud of. I've procrastinated so much, but now I'm super excited.

I have two Behringer C-3 condenser mics which are cheap but highly rated, and I have a Shure SM-58. I have three mic stands.

I want to record voice and guitar simultaneously because I play guitar more spontaneously while I sing.

For me to use the third mic, I will need another sound card - like a Behringer U-Phoria UM2.

I know to point the condenser mics down towards the guitar and the voice mic up towards my mouth to minimize bleed.

Do you think adding an extra mic for the guitar will improve the sound enough that it's worth the hassle?

The C-3 mic has three selectable patterns including a figure 8. Would it be recommended to use a third mic in a figure 8?

Thanks for your opinions!
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

I would suggest working with two mics for simultaneous guitar/vox recording, at least until you get that down (which could take some time and experimentation).

Even more basic, try just one mic in omni (if your room cooperates).
Old 11-26-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I would suggest working with two mics for simultaneous guitar/vox recording, at least until you get that down (which could take some time and experimentation).

Even more basic, try just one mic in omni (if your room cooperates).
Thanks. I wouldn't consider one mic as I would be helpless if the levels were off, and I wouldn't be able to add compression to the vocals which might be necessary.

My aim is to get a really great recording within the confines of my home office and my budget. I'm satisfied with my knowledge of Cakewalk Sonar Artist - my software. I just found out you can get Cakewalk Platinum for free, and it's called BandLab. I didn't know that it was owned by Gibson.

Perhaps less fuss and complication will be better to funnel my creative energy into the music.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:23 PM

stick with 2 mics...adding a 3rd would just make it more difficult to mix because of potential phase issues from additional bleed.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 11-26-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
stick with 2 mics...adding a 3rd would just make it more difficult to mix because of potential phase issues from additional bleed.
Thanks. OK. I'll just use the two mics. Less equipment, less tweaking, more fun.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:17 PM

I’d stick with 2 mics, put the condenser pointing slightly downwards and towards the neck joins the body for a good starting point. Set it cardiod so it doesn’t pick up as much of your voice. Use the dynamic mic on your voice. A 57 is good choice. You can use the mics the other way around but, usually the guitar will shine better with the condenser mic. You should also try the two condenser mics in cardiod make sure the vocal mic is angled up, and the guitar mic is angled down.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
I'm finally recording some original songs that I am super proud of. I've procrastinated so much, but now I'm super excited.

I have two Behringer C-3 condenser mics which are cheap but highly rated, and I have a Shure SM-58. I have three mic stands.

I want to record voice and guitar simultaneously because I play guitar more spontaneously while I sing.

For me to use the third mic, I will need another sound card - like a Behringer U-Phoria UM2.

I know to point the condenser mics down towards the guitar and the voice mic up towards my mouth to minimize bleed.

Do you think adding an extra mic for the guitar will improve the sound enough that it's worth the hassle?

The C-3 mic has three selectable patterns including a figure 8. Would it be recommended to use a third mic in a figure 8?

Thanks for your opinions!
There are a bunch of previous topics that might shed a light on what you're trying to accomplish. Start here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=314110

...and I'd especially check out Bob Clearmountain's take on doing acoustic guitar and vocal simultaneously:

https://youtu.be/3WrMhr2nUJI

Last edited by Rudy4; 11-26-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:56 AM

Looks like you are all set, but adding a 2nd audio interface is not the answer anyway - except with some Mac computers (and some work to set up), you cannot run 2 audio interfaces at one time. You would need an audio interface with (at least) 3 mic preamps to use 3 mics.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD