The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-29-2019, 06:29 AM

Cool Godin 5th Avenue after market pickup

Hello,
I recently purchased a Godin 5th Avenue acoustic archtop. I am toying with the idea of adding a pickup and wanted to tap into the expertise in this forum. Has anyone installed an aftermarket pickup on the Godin 5th Avenue, and if so, what make/model did you go with and what has your experience been?
Thanks
Scott
Old 03-29-2019, 08:50 AM

Unfortunately, I also have an acoustic 5th Avenue and I think you cannot add a pickup on it. But I am not sure about that.

Anyway, I recently ask for opinions for archtop pickup somewhere else, and Kent Armstrong floating type came quite strong. Nobody really favored humbuckers or TVplus.

That said, I tried iRig clipping mic for acoustics. I could clip it in f hole and it gave results as it did on flattop acoustics. The limitation is the device connects to iPhone or iPad (with free basic App on Apple Store).

Last edited by mawmow; 03-30-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:56 AM

You can certainly add a floating pickup...they reissued the DeArmond "rhythm cheif" types, I'd be more inclined to cruise Ebay for a vintage DeArmond "Guitar Mike" model...sounds just as good, much less expensive than an original RC.

You might also talk to Jason at Krivo pickups for an easily mountable and removable option. I have a pickup of his for my "Django style" guitar, and it's a wonderful sounding, well made, very affordable pickup. He has a model called the "Stealth PAF" (or something like that) that would be great on the Godin.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-29-2019, 09:11 AM

Been looking at these...

https://www.pickup.world/product/archtop-guitar/
Old 03-29-2019, 10:12 AM

So the thing to understand about the "pickup the world" pickups (I had one, breifly)

They are about amplifying the actual acoustic sound of the guitar.

They absolutely need a preamp and a good EQ, can be very prone to feedback at performance volume.

The 5th avenue, while a cool guitar, is not an outstanding "acoustic" archtop. So the sound you'll be amplifying with one of those is just "okay" to start with.

Over the history of the archtop in music, very few people have chosen to use an undersaddle type pickup to amplify them. This is because it's very difficult to get the sound of an archtop "right" as an acoustic amplified instrument. It's also very EASY to use a magnetic style pickup and get that to sound good.

The acoustic sound of an archtop-- role-wise, is probably most personified by it's role in a "big band" setting...where the guitar was more "felt" than heard--so amplification of the tone was rare, maybe not even desired. And then of course, Charlie Christian stepped out front with a magnetic pickup and sounded COMPLETELY different...and the rest is history...

If you think of the other role of the archtop, acoustically-- something like David Rawlings' adaptation, here you're dealing with a small, relatively quiet band, and a microphone, often a single mic--bluegrass style...

So for whatever reason, truly amplifying the acoustic sound of the archtop never really caught on...

Old 03-29-2019, 11:04 AM

I put a K&K Definity on my 5th. Like Jeff says, the acoustic sound you start with is not that great. What goes in comes out. In the meantime, I bought a Loar LH-700 (also with a Definity) and both guitar and pickup sound much better. The 5th is up for sale.

Steven
Old 03-29-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
So the thing to understand about the "pickup the world" pickups (I had one, breifly)

They are about amplifying the actual acoustic sound of the guitar.

They absolutely need a preamp and a good EQ, can be very prone to feedback at performance volume.

The 5th avenue, while a cool guitar, is not an outstanding "acoustic" archtop. So the sound you'll be amplifying with one of those is just "okay" to start with.

Over the history of the archtop in music, very few people have chosen to use an undersaddle type pickup to amplify them. This is because it's very difficult to get the sound of an archtop "right" as an acoustic amplified instrument. It's also very EASY to use a magnetic style pickup and get that to sound good.

The acoustic sound of an archtop-- role-wise, is probably most personified by it's role in a "big band" setting...where the guitar was more "felt" than heard--so amplification of the tone was rare, maybe not even desired. And then of course, Charlie Christian stepped out front with a magnetic pickup and sounded COMPLETELY different...and the rest is history...

If you think of the other role of the archtop, acoustically-- something like David Rawlings' adaptation, here you're dealing with a small, relatively quiet band, and a microphone, often a single mic--bluegrass style...

So for whatever reason, truly amplifying the acoustic sound of the archtop never really caught on...
Good information to know. The link I posted above also has a link to a pre-amp that they sell with that specific type pickup. So I guess the question is if I was going to use this guitar out playing solo not in a band environment, what would be the pickup of choice?
Old 03-29-2019, 11:50 AM

I think for a solo environment, the pickup the world pickup could work.

What kind of music? What sound are you going for?

Old 03-29-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I think for a solo environment, the pickup the world pickup could work.

What kind of music? What sound are you going for?
Mainly playing through Fishman Loudbox mini, doing standards in small rooms. Nothing big or elaborate just something to be heard.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:52 PM

Instrumental or singing and playing? Not that it really matters...I think the pickuptheworld could be worth a shot...

Old 03-29-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Instrumental or singing and playing? Not that it really matters...I think the pickuptheworld could be worth a shot...
Singing and playing. I've also heard the Kent Armstrong pickups are pretty good. They sell a pickguard mounted one and a neck mounted one.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:46 PM

They can be great--but you're into an electric guitar pickup now--a very different animal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Tags
5th avenue, godin, pickup installation