The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-14-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
As incredible (artistically) as the triple neck is, I am actually more looking forward to hearing the Bouzouki Chimaera.
There is one track in particular that I want to make sure I include the bouzouki once it arrives. I should have the recording portion of the album completed by the end of December and then mix and master it for publishing in February.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I am amazed at the range of interests with this CF group! Congrats on those unique instruments! Looking forward to hearing more about them.
Aye aye Captain!
Old 12-14-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
This is gonna be great to read the story and hear the music!! Yay

Yep! I had been lurking on the forum for years before quietly joining and I look forward to sharing!
Old 12-14-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubh1805 View Post
Yep! I had been lurking on the forum for years before quietly joining and I look forward to sharing!

In that case ... Yay x 2
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-14-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Why do I get the sense that this particular sub-forum is very fertile ground for Emerald Guitars. All these instruments I have seen photos and videos of here look really nice, and there is certainly no shortage of them around here!

So far, I know of only two McPherson Touring guitars and one (maybe two?) Sables. There is a smattering of Cargos and various Rainsongs, but it seems that Emerald is the majority. Those Emerald guys seem to have worked really hard to build their business and improve their product from its early beginnings. They deserve all the visibility they get.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-14-2018, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Why do I get the sense that this particular sub-forum is very fertile ground for Emerald Guitars. All these instruments I have seen photos and videos of here look really nice, and there is certainly no shortage of them around here!

So far, I know of only two McPherson Touring guitars and one (maybe two?) Sables. There is a smattering of Cargos and various Rainsongs, but it seems that Emerald is the majority. Those Emerald guys seem to have worked really hard to build their business and improve their product from its early beginnings. They deserve all the visibility they get.

Tony
This discussion comes up once in a while. When I first signed on here, most of the talk was about RainSongs. I wound up buying a RainSong.

As Emerald introduced new models, off-set soundholes, and guitars designed to be comfortable as well as great sounding, folks took notice. I ordered my first Emerald based on discussion here... turns out, it wasn't hype - there really is a difference. Emerald is very forward-thinking in their designs.

And, they just keep getting better. Where other manufacturers have changed a finish and called it new, Alistair and the team at Emerald have released 3 new models this year, and are knocking it out of the park with their veneers and colors. AND, custom options. Look at the last two weeks with Alistair showing that week's guitars being shipped - what a great variety and unique options.

Three Emeralds in for me, and my thoughts on acoustic guitars have completely changed. I get why Emeralds get discussed here so much. There are a lot of nice carbon fiber guitars being made right now, but it seems that Emerald understands this guitar niche buyer and knows they aren't just making guitars, they are catering to the player's imagination. If you can think it, and it makes sense, they will consider making that happen.

By comparison to some of these spectacular customs, my Emeralds are pretty tame: a very basic model, a striking veneer, and the new X10 with the Level 2 pickups and the only custom features being the neck scale and a bit of additional edge shading. And a nod back to my first Emerald, with the Crystal Ice back and sides on this new one. It was the guitar I had been imagining for quite a while before I ordered it.

Good for guitar players and good for their business.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

I have 2 Rainsongs (APLE and WS3000 12 string) and a CA Cargo, as well as an X20-12 and an X20 bari, for reference. I play fingerstyle and flatpick, over a pretty broad range of genres. Heck, I even strum and sing if pressed into service.

The thing I get from Emerald is that Alistair Hay has, in his way, the same incredible and unique level of energy and artistic/engineering vision that Bill Collings brought to the instrument building game. Just look at the breadth and depth of the Collings catalogue: full ranges of acoustics, electrics, mandolins, cases, “Waterloo” throwbacks, even ukes. Well engineered and crafted, superb woods, beautiful finishes, unique modern and proprietary building techniques and devices, constant drive for improvement, stellar customer service, well earned pride in the name and the product. I get a very similar feel from what’s been developing at Emerald. Just look at those last 2 videos of racks ready for shipping. Incredible.

RS, CA, Blackbird etc are building really, really nice CF guitars. Emerald, to me, goes beyond trying to make a wood guitar out of carbon fiber. I think at this point it would be a challenge for a lot of wooden guitar makers to craft what is coming out of Emerald. The multi string works of art Linda Manzer has made for Pat Metheny come to mind, at 10 times the cost and also 10 times as long to keep in tune, I’d wager. I’ve played a lot of 12 strings and quite a few baritones. With my current Emeralds, I’m no longer looking.

Will I sell off my wood acoustics and just go all X20? Absolutely not. But for travel, playing outside, playing amplified.....unless it’s a gathering of Bluegrass Mafiosi, for whom even a Collings D or MF mando can be partially blasphemous, the wood flattops get to stay home.

If one wants a CF 6 string guitar that plays and sounds very well, there are currently several choices. For new approaches to making music on fretted instruments, these Irish creations are leagues ahead. And while I like the plain CF weave the best, they’ve really hit the right nerve in a lot of folks with the wood veneers

The above is my personal opinion, of course. I’m not the “fanboy” type, but I do believe in recognizing achievement and giving due credit. My 12 string and Baritone are incredibly fine instruments. I have no doubt I’ll be adding to this little family when the right moment appears.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post

Tony
I've owned Rainsong and Journey CF guitars. All were great guitars. For me, Emerald brought two game changers: Full customization and the woody veneers.

When I first got into trying CF guitars I'd bought and sold a few models including an Emerald X20. They all had their own tone. I dislike all the necks each company had stock and the looks of all of them left feeling kind of meh.

Then Emerald changed their business model from selling via retailers to selling only factory direct. Then then came up with those gorgeous woody tops. Then they added the ability to fully customize to your exact desires.

That was the final straw for me!
Old 12-15-2018, 07:53 PM

For the record, I love my (four) Emeralds! But I also have great affection for my Rainsong WS-1000 and PMJ-1000, CA Cargo, Blackbird Lucky 13, and Farallon ukulele. As of next spring, it will be 18 years of CF guitar ownership. Each brand has strong points and advantages - and their own characteristic sound.

Yes, we get pretty excited about Emerald guitars around here, but that doesn't mean that the other brands are disrespected. I drive an older Chevy minivan, and my wife drives a newish Ford F-150, but we like them both. It is somewhat of a "what have you done for me lately" phenomenon when it comes to Emerald.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:31 PM

I have three Rainsongs, one Emerald (and another on order). Both companies have improved their product line considerably over the years:

I played a Rainsong AWS-1000 recently, incredibly heavy and cheap feeling, not to mention the odd hybrids they made with wooden bodies and CF tops.

I've also played a few old Emeralds with the old finish that looked like a sprayed on truck bedliner. Not exactly a great first impression.

Rainsong is smart by building traditional shapes. They are familiar to most guitar players, and it's easy to get a hard case that fits properly. Their new CH series has pushed price points down and increased affordability to the point where folks who would never consider a CF guitar can now do so.

My only real complaint with Rainsong is they don't offer a 00, still have not brought back 12-strings, and have not yet introduced a Tenor Uke. (I'd have bought a Uke if they made one, same with 12 if it had an N2 neck. Instead, Blackbird got the Uke money)

Emerald on the other hand is moving more and more towards being a custom shop. You can get anything you like so long as you are willing to shell out the bucks. Part of the reason Emerald gets discussed so much is that they really are very good at social media. The shipping videos are merely the latest iteration of this. (the USB cards with pro photos to show off ones new acquisition are another)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-15-2018, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Really enjoyed the video!

As a nylon string guitar player, I couldn't help but notice that exactly 0 of the 22 guitars were nylon string guitars. Not much interest in carbon fiber guitars amongst nylon string guitar players.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Really enjoyed the video!

As a nylon string guitar player, I couldn't help but notice that exactly 0 of the 22 guitars were nylon string guitars. Not much interest in carbon fiber guitars amongst nylon string guitar players.
I agree, nylon is a bit more niche, but this week’s video had a few nylon guitars in the shipment.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 12-16-2018, 11:14 AM
Guest 928

Wicked;

Nylon is clearly a niche. I view it as the most difficult niche for advancement. Nylons have 500 years of R&D under their belts and it is hard to beat a good classical wood guitar in terms of projection and tone. Rainsong, Blackbird and Emerald have all given it a run but, in my estimation, have not surpassed the qualities of sound found in a good classical wooden guitar.

However, CF nylon strung instruments have a lot of redeeming features and potentials. Durability is a significant advantage with CF--I found with wooden guitars that the better the instrument the more fragile the instrument. Consistency is another benefit of CF--wooden instruments tend to vary in sound, even within the same models. CF nylon string guitars also benefit from ergonomic styling, variety in fret boards, and so forth.

And so, for me, there is a trade-off between the benefits of wood and carbon fiber. I think that cf is sneaking up on the traditional qualities of wooden instruments while making serious advancements in build and materials.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

My expectation of a guitar, whether made of wood or CF, is that it sound good. I have no expectation that CF should sound like wood. For me, the Cargo sounded good right from the beginning. I also like the sounds I hear from Rainsong (though I can't stand their neck shapes, unfortunately since they are otherwise great instruments), and from the McPherson Touring and Sable. I have yet to hear a newer Emeralds with all the improvements that those guys have been working on. I have yet to play a Blackbird as well, so no opinion there yet either.

In the piano forums, there is a digital piano sub-forum. There, it seems that people want a digital exact replica in every respect, of a traditional acoustic piano. I want to see digital pianos surpass their acoustic counterparts with smoother keyboard action and none of the "clunkiness" and need for expensive maintenance. I therefore thoroughly enjoy my digital piano and am not waiting for some manufacturer to make one that is just like an acoustic in every way.

For me, it is the same with carbon fiber guitars. Why not surpass wood instruments instead of trying to sound just like them? I like CF guitars just fine as they are and for what they have to offer.

I still recall all those wishful claims in the MacNichol forum about how the Cargo sounds "just like wood". No, it doesn't. But it does sound very nice in its own right. That should be good enough, and it certainly is for me.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-16-2018, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
This discussion comes up once in a while. When I first signed on here, most of the talk was about RainSongs. I wound up buying a RainSong.

As Emerald introduced new models, off-set soundholes, and guitars designed to be comfortable as well as great sounding, folks took notice. I ordered my first Emerald based on discussion here... turns out, it wasn't hype - there really is a difference. Emerald is very forward-thinking in their designs.

And, they just keep getting better. Where other manufacturers have changed a finish and called it new, Alistair and the team at Emerald have released 3 new models this year, and are knocking it out of the park with their veneers and colors. AND, custom options. Look at the last two weeks with Alistair showing that week's guitars being shipped - what a great variety and unique options.

Three Emeralds in for me, and my thoughts on acoustic guitars have completely changed. I get why Emeralds get discussed here so much. There are a lot of nice carbon fiber guitars being made right now, but it seems that Emerald understands this guitar niche buyer and knows they aren't just making guitars, they are catering to the player's imagination. If you can think it, and it makes sense, they will consider making that happen.

By comparison to some of these spectacular customs, my Emeralds are pretty tame: a very basic model, a striking veneer, and the new X10 with the Level 2 pickups and the only custom features being the neck scale and a bit of additional edge shading. And a nod back to my first Emerald, with the Crystal Ice back and sides on this new one. It was the guitar I had been imagining for quite a while before I ordered it.

Good for guitar players and good for their business.
As far as I am concerned, I am fine with reading about Emeralds and whatever else is currently happening in the CF world, so definitely have at it folks! Whether or not I end up with an Emerald someday, it is fun to see all the pictures and videos and read the excitement as more Emeralds are purchased. It is all good, though I think Kramster has some catching up to do.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber